Check Point 1. Lift Inside PMTS, Essentials

PMTS Forum

Check Point 1. Lift Inside PMTS, Essentials

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Skier check points, this is the one that can really change your balance. It doesn't tell you about the timing, that comes later. However this is one of the basic skills in skiing.
Is the skier balanced on the outside ski? All the way through the turn? Can you hold this inside ski like this, all the way through the arc?

Again the best world cup skiers all use PMTS. Here is a great example, inside ski off the snow. Upper body Counter balanced, inside hand leading, close stance.
h.harb

Re: Number 1. PMTS, Essentials, check points, photos

Postby arothafel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:16 pm

These images are great, Harald.
Right-clicked and saved to my desktop for reference!
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:35 pm

WC racers have an uncanny ability to balance on the outside ski.

Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Now that's a "Phantom Javelin".
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:45 am

Actually, all top racers learn that skiing on the outside ski is paramount. It's not only fast, it's also survival, any coach that says, "stand on both skis and widen your stance," has never been in the heat of fire.
I still hear it on the training hill all the time, especially Masters.
h.harb

Postby tarnaby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:15 pm

If someone had never heard of the acronym PMTS nor had ever received any traditional instruction....but just concentrated on only using the outside ski....provided they stuck with it, would all the PMTS essentials, like tipping for example, be developed organically? (I'm thinking of my kids, who are not big on receiving instruction but love get their mileage in.)
tarnaby

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:18 pm

tarnaby wrote:If someone had never heard of the acronym PMTS nor had ever received any traditional instruction....but just concentrated on only using the outside ski....provided they stuck with it, would all the PMTS essentials, like tipping for example, be developed organically? (I'm thinking of my kids, who are not big on receiving instruction but love get their mileage in.)

Not really. You need a full movement package. They rarely just come naturally. Been there... It didn't work.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Remembering my time figuring out my skiing when I was racing, at 17, if I had a coach who told me not to show at the race course until I could make turns in both directions with my inside foot lifted , it would have gone a long way to making me better. If you do focus on skiing one ski and you do it on ice and you are relentless, you will learn to balance yourself or you will quit.
h.harb

Postby tarnaby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks - I'm going to work on that. (I'm also going to use my slant board, and the plywood on a broom handle from the Essentials book (or the Harb exercises for skiing book?) to work on it.)
tarnaby

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:00 pm

tarnaby wrote:(I'm thinking of my kids, who are not big on receiving instruction but love get their mileage in.)

Tie a reward, like video games play, to drill time. Works wonders.
Max_501

Re: Number 1. Lift Inside PMTS, Essentials, check points, ph

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:43 pm

tarnaby wrote:(I'm thinking of my kids, who are not big on receiving instruction but love get their mileage in.)

One of the big reasons kids don't like drills is "History", tying the drill or exercise to how it will improve their speed in the race course and how the drill is relevant to what the best world cup skiers are doing, "in their skiing". You have to know how to use one underlying fundamental in all ski coaching and that is knowing how to develop motivation.

I can motivate any young racer for an exercise if, the racer knows why he is doing the exercise, how it builds into their skiing, how it will make them faster in the race course, and where the world cup skiers is already using that movement in his racing. Drills should be tied to movement you want to encourage. I see so many coaches on the slopes doing silly drills with no reasonable outcome. A coach also needs to be very precise about the quality in which the drill is performed. I know few (almost none) coaches who are skilled in all of these areas.
h.harb

Re: Check Point 1. Lift Inside PMTS, Essentials

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:53 am

New forum
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System