A Heluva Weekend

PMTS Forum

Re: A Heluva Weekend

Postby Basil j » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 am

You look great Greg. Your dedication is paying off for sure. Glad you had a good time. When are you posting video???
Basil j

Postby skijim13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 am

Your skiing looks great, this is my wifes and my first full season using PMTS, it has made major changes in our skiing for the better. The hardest thing for me is to remove any traces of traditional PSIA extension that I find creeps back into to my skiing when doing short radius turns on very steep runs. Last week when we had crud conditions we skied run after run in good form. The best part was we didn't get tired, our friends were complaining how their legs were burning and they were tired. We hope to get to ski next winter in the northeast with fellow PMTS skiers.
skijim13

Postby skifastDDS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 pm

Basil j wrote:You look great Greg. Your dedication is paying off for sure. Glad you had a good time. When are you posting video???

Thanks, B.

I didn't get as much good video as I hoped for this season, but I made significant progress in my skiing. I did make a short video with my best GS run of the year [watch in HD] :

I over-flexed a lot last year, and I may have gone a bit too far in the other direction in this clip in an effort to obtain early stance ski engagements. It's not terrible skiing, but I know what I need to fix next year.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby deicreo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Skifast,

I watched your last year video too and I like it better. Why did you choose not to flex in those gs turns?
Is that becouse developing gs tuns requires that ?
Really interested in your approach because FTR is helping tremendously in tipping and thus engaging.
deicreo

Postby skifastDDS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 pm

deicreo wrote:Hi Skifast,

I watched your last year video too and I like it better. Why did you choose not to flex in those gs turns?
Is that becouse developing gs tuns requires that ?
Really interested in your approach because FTR is helping tremendously in tipping and thus engaging.

Developing GS turns definitely does not require it, watch Heluva's videos to see GS turns with deep flexion. I was trying to stay balanced over the stance ski for the entire turn, and if anything I was CA-ing too early. The lessened flexing is due to my effort to develop a feel for how much flexing is necessary to release the ski, rather than just using a knees to chest flex no matter what like I did last year. It's not textbook pmts skiing, but I think the stance ski balance and ski performance are better than last year's material. Skiing GS with deep flexion while retaining access to the front of the ski requires strong pullback that is not yet present in my skiing.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby deicreo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 am

My question was not to critique or point out weaknesses in your skiing as am aware that you have an access to ski with great PMTS skier.
FTR is probably the least taught skiing technique basically everywhere (I never seen an instructor wanting the students to practice FTR in Austrian or Italian Alps) and what is worst, the opposite - pushing and extension -is the dogma. That said, FTR is a technique that distinguishes PMTS the most from the rest. From that POV I was curious on what you have been working on and why you lessened the amount of flexion.

Your outside ski is definitely biting the snow what might be highly enviable but I risk the constatation that for that great turn to the left you paid with an extension.
deicreo

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 am

Nearly every turn in the recent video shows an outside leg that has flexed to release. The amount of flexion isn't as big as seen in earlier footage because Greg is experimenting with varying the amount needed to release.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System