Understanding PMTS

PMTS Forum

Postby *SCSA » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:08 am

So I'm reading on gapic that my old pal Juan Pierre is feelin it. Good for he/she/it.

Then fastman makes an appearance.

Hey fastman.

You post on gapic that you understand PMTS. Yeah? If you understand PMTS so well, how come when my old pal Juan Pierre posts about the free foot and stance foot (page 1, PMTS), but you didn't know what he/she/it was talking about? You chime in and go, "Now what"?

you, Mrs. Napolian, and the rest of the homies, need to shut the fluck up. Y'all don't know jack and you couldn't make a good turn on your best day.

fastman? Whooey. slowstupidone is a much better username for that he/she/it.

############
Happy New Year to U 2, Ott. :)
*SCSA

Postby Ott Gangl » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:51 am

SCSA, calm that rage, take your meds....at least you have snow to ski on, ours is gone and a week of warm rain is forcast...

....Ott
Ott Gangl

phantom move - kinetic chain

Postby John Mason » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:21 pm

I don't really blame the epicer's for not understanding. I'm working on a long post that hopefully will allow for people that may have never ever felt the effect of the Phantom Move, understand why. To give the ending before the long post, ends up, people that keep their hip rotators loose rather than co-contracted, feel nothing when they try the phantom move. I ran the whole post I'm going to put up by Rich Messer Sunday and he thinks I may be onto something (that being why the people that rotate/steer their hips don't get PMTS at all). Rich tells me he has long taught his PMTS students to keep some tension between the hips. I would call this specifically co-contract slightly both sets of hip rotator muscles.

These same people that don't understand the phantom move use steering of those same hip rotators that PMTS skiers leave tensed. This little missing link and the biomechanics behind it mean the phantom move/edging etc (depending on author) is a totally foreign concept to them. They have never felt it. They would think it's voodoo.

I'll keep working on my book long post and post here and there and see if that will allow for people for the first time to actually understand what this phantom move is and how it works and why it works. I see so many people think the phantom move is divering tips or something else. At the end of my book long post, people can try it in their doorway and it'll be self explanitory.

As part of that post I'll also answer the question which is the strongest way to add rotary torque to the outside ski. The quick answer is the phantom move. It's much more powerful then using the hip rotators or using the lower leg to steer and very easy to understand why. (yes Rusty - there is rotary torque in PMTS, but it tends to take care of itself)

(besides - I'm so sick I can't ski so I might as well write)
John Mason

Postby *SCSA » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:46 am

John,

All you're going to get by posting over at gapic is grief. It's a different mindset over there, even though it's billed as "The online home for dedicated skiers". Whooey.

They argue just to hear themselves. And now that you're their favorite whipping boy, you're just playing right into their hand. You're free entertainment.

Hey man, you have a great technical understanding of this stuff. Now all you need is practice. If I'm so lucky as to ski with you again this year, I'll show you what I learned in the ABasin camp. You have a great eye and I'm looking forward to your feedback. Hopefully, when you see me again, you're going to see moocho spring in my legs, from the waist down. :D

We'll get Hobbit to show up too -- he/she/it is really starting to get it now. Not that you're not, of course.
*SCSA

Postby Ott Gangl » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:00 pm

Not really, SCSA, John gets nothing but admiration on epic for his enthusiasm and his quest for understanding skiing, and people say so. He may or may not get converts to PMTS, but he is holding his own (sometimes) with instructors of long experience. He sometimes goes on a tangent repeating for the hundredth time the same explanation of the three PMTS releases, the carving, the lessons he took in PSIA and PMTS camps, etc. He is just longwinded by nature....

....Ott
Ott Gangl

PMTS revolutionary

Postby visitor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:54 pm

To HH

First I would like to commend you on the development of this revolutionary
skiing technique. It is really the biggest breakthrough that the sport has
seen in the last 50 years. Although I haven't been skiing quite that long, I
learned via the Austrian method and have skied it many years. A little over
a year ago, while trying to improve my off-piste performance, I came across
Harald's books. I bought them both and the DVDs as well. Obviously I have
visited the website too. They are all remarkable teaching tools. I regard
myself an advanced skier capable of skiing any given trail on any given day.
On average I am a 90 to 95th percentile skier. My challenge to myself is to
be 95 plus on any given mountain on any given day. Although I have good form
and am comfortable on groomed steeps and even in crud and the little powder
that we get around here, I still need to work on my bump skiing. The books,
DVDs, and website help, but I would really benefit from some personal
coaching - just an hour or two would probably bring me to a new plateau. The
problem is that I don't know of any mountain in New England that teaches
PMTS, and I don't want to spend an hour with somebody who keeps telling me
to jump and twist.
visitor

Postby Jeff Markham » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:38 am

Contact Joseph at the Harb shop. He and his partner Glen are based in NE.
Jeff Markham

what me?

Postby John Mason » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:29 pm

Ott Gangl wrote: He is just longwinded by nature....

....Ott

And now for my shortest ever post...
John Mason

Postby Ott Gangl » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:35 pm

>>>And now for my shortest ever post...<<<

Oh my, your not sayin' much :o

...Ott :twisted:
Ott Gangl

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System