ski instructors using PMTS

PMTS Forum

ski instructors using PMTS

Postby Harrison » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:41 pm

yesterday i was in the lodge at waterville valley, i heard some instructors talking...they were using the words 'tipping' and 'rolling to the new edge'

so i was just wondering if anyone else is starting to see or hear of this at random moutains
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

there has always been overlaps

Postby John Mason » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:42 pm

there have always been overlaps

the PMTS mene (gene but mental idea propagating gene) is definately out there

lift and tip is a major theme over on Epic amongst many epicers. What makes PMTS is:

1. defined and clear terminology to describe skiing movement patterns
2. the idea of SMIM
3. drills and tools to help the student where they most need it as identified by the assessment.

I have now taught successfully 3 family members parallel from nothing in about 2 to 3 hours depending on family member. They were comfortable, confident, and in control. The two footed release is so easy to get a new student to.

That's where PMTS is different. The progression from beginner to the top using the same movement patterns. At the race camp I attended by PSIA III certs for two summers there were lots of overlap. Many drills were identical. But, more often then not, there was a lot of confusion of terms. Goals were set for the students without tools presented to get there (like move your CM over your skis - which is a result - not a how to). PMTS's focus on primary movements and teaching and evaluating same does indeed seem pretty unique and valuable for the whole ski instructing business.

Contrast this with level 1 thru 9 progression of the traditional approach and no wonder the ski schools can't sell lessons to people that want to progress. It's too slow, old fashioned, time consuming and expensive.

Interesting other commonalities from PSIA race camp and PMTS are pull the inside foot back in the turn, keep the shins parallel, don't pivot or steer at turn entry (yes - we were taught that at the PSIA camp - don't steer), don't point with the knees. The goals for "good skiing" were much the same which did surprise me. What was different - far different - were the tools presented to get to these goals.

As SCSA says - PMTS rocks!
John Mason

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System