Got Video?

PMTS Forum

Got Video?

Postby geoffda » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 pm

I've noticed lately that the forum is starting to get a little argumentative, so I thought a gentle reminder would be in order. Reading the books and watching the videos does not automatically make you an expert in PMTS--even if you spend hundreds of hours practicing what you think you have learned. One of the amusing things about PMTS is that you can get it wrong and it is still likely to be an improvement on what you were doing before. That isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't try to learn solely from the books and the videos. Rather it is to point out that on the forum, if you want to have credibility, it is important to have your understanding of PMTS verified. How do you get your understanding verified? Post video! Or take a lesson with a PMTS accredited instructor, or attend a camp. If we know what your skiing looks like, that tells everyone all they need to know about your understanding of PMTS. If you haven't yet posted video, then you need to keep that in mind when making forum posts. Understand that if you start challenging people who HAVE posted video, or taken lessons, or attended camps, your posts are not going to be well received (especially if they happen to be a professional in the field you are taking them on in :lol: ). It doesn't even matter if you are "right", because until we have seen your skiing, we have no way of knowing whether you even understand what you claim to be arguing (and if you can't do it, you can't possibly understand it). Harald might have titled his books "Anybody Can Be An Expert Skier On the Internet" because anyone can certainly can sit there at the keyboard and repeat what Harald has already written to good effect. So if you want to come to the forum and share your expertise, you are welcome to do so. But please be respectful of the other forum members, many of whom have made considerable investments in PMTS, and post some video of your own skiing before you get too involved in writing posts about what PMTS is and how it all really works.
geoffda

Re: Got Video?

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 pm

And please don't post what you have heard from others (second hand) about PMTS, becasue we don't care. We know they don't know squat about PMTS. We know here on this forum what PMTS is and what is does, we don't need to hear second hand from some half baked PSIA instructor, who knows less about skiing than our 1st time green level campers.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:19 am

I was just thinking the other day that I really miss my "photog" this season (he moved away). I was getting used to having tons of pics and video of my skiing. I need to make it my mission to enlist the next able-bodied skier who can work a camera/camcorder to get some pics/video very soon.
HighAngles

Postby arothafel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:25 am

Whether it's for my own MA or anyone else, I have a list of forum contributors of who I deem "credible." My list includes only those who've posted video or fellow campers I've skied with.

If MA comes from someone who doesn't fit that criteria, I don't even read the post. (Remember Mr. Bloom?)
arothafel

Postby ToddW » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I remember both Leopold Bloom and Leopold_Bloom. The use of two names seemed odd. For the most part, I ignored them because I didn't understand them.
ToddW

Postby nightsh » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:48 pm

ToddW wrote:I remember both Leopold Bloom and Leopold_Bloom. The use of two names seemed odd. For the most part, I ignored them because I didn't understand them.

A search of that name unexpectedly turned up some great posts by HH on TFR: http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic ... 6&start=15

Thanks for that.

This forum is truly a treasure island. Won't ask, just read, coz it's been answered already :D
nightsh

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 am

I re-read some of those old posts of the day, funny. I particularly like the, "burning witches and heretics at the stake", one. I can't believe this has been going on for 10 years or so, and we still seem to get the know-it-alls, yet they know nothing, like TDK, and Bloom. Amazing. Bloom was a plant from Epic, I can't believe we tolerated him as long as we did. That's why my tolerance for crap is much shorter now.

Thanks to Monsterman also, he can spot one a mile away.
h.harb

Postby pzotalis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 pm

We will be shooting some video Wednesday evening this week at the Midwest Center for PMTS (Welch Village). There will be three accredited PMTS coaches training with a few of our D-team junior race coaches. We will post the footage. It will be interesting to compare PMTS coaches with season race coaches with minimal PMTS experience. As their boss, I will encourage them to grant me permission to share their skiing footage.

On a side note, a couple of these PMTS Midwest guys hopped in a Nastar Slalom course over the weekend. Because we didn't shoot video, I can say with a lot of humble confidence that Ebbie and I "killed it" in that slalom course. We shredded it. We had it all going: high angles, quick and powerful pull-back, flexing when needed, CB, CA....you name it. It was all working, big-time. Sorry however...we forgot the camera. Maybe next time.
pzotalis

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm

pzotalis wrote:We shredded it. We had it all going: high angles, quick and powerful pull-back, flexing when needed, CB, CA....you name it. It was all working, big-time. Sorry however...we forgot the camera. Maybe next time.

Sounds like the 3 foot rainbow trout that got away!
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Hey, I know these guys, they work hard, and they are on track, cut some slack. I've caught a few 3 foot rainbows, I always let them go.
h.harb

Postby emakarios » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 am

I made three runs through the "slalom" Nastar course at Welch on Sunday; it was set with stubbies on Lookout, which is a similar pitch to the headwall of High Noon, but with some rollers thrown in the middle. On the 170 cm Supershapes; it would be fun to try a 165 Head ISL and compare. I have no race background other than a little beer league gs. For me, it's a test to see if I can put PMTS movements together in turns that are not defined by me (the gates!) at speed. I suppose there are some similar dynamics to bumps in that sense. I would give myself a B grade, but we'll see when there is video! We have an interesting process going on with instructors, race coaches and athletes training together with PMTS movements. Nobody gets to pose on the hill; these kids want to go fast and they want to ski well while they are doing it.
emakarios

Postby cheesehead » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 am

Will there be a Harb-certified bootfitter at Welch some day? Even better would be one at Cascade (Baraboo, Wisconsin).

No PMTS instructors anywhere out East??? You know, it strikes me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have somebody on the business end who would make it his/her mission to get instructors and bootfitters in strategic locations in order to promote the spread of PMTS. It seems as if Harald has been trying to do it all, but his time is probably better spent coaching and writing, producing videos etc.

I am not volunteering, just kibitzing and if the "advice" is unwanted just ignore it.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby emakarios » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 am

As part of the strategic plan for Welch to become the Midwest Performance Center for PMTS Training, we plan to have an alignment and boot shop at the area. The discussion at this point is to begin this as early as next season. We have a potentially great captive market with young athletes in the developmental race program (around 200-250 athletes), high school racing, college racing, USSA racing and adult league racing. We will keep you posted on progress.
emakarios

Postby Max_501 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:03 pm

New forum members should read this thread starting from the first post.
Max_501

Postby mike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks to Monsterman also, he can spot one a mile away.

Re: Two footed skiing

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Beware, there are some incorrect amateur definitions/descriptions in some of the posts above, perhaps by mistake, perhaps not.

If in doubt, trust the books and PMTS coaches who have posted.

Looks as though the MonsterMan may have spotted another one.
mike

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System