Steering? Boots, skis

PMTS Forum

Steering? Boots, skis

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:15 pm

I'm new to this forum and am looking forward to getting to know all y'all and talking skiing!

First, a quick question: What is (exaclty) steering? Just a brief answer will do. I'm new to all this but I think I'm getting the jest of it and want to confirm--or correct--my thinking with your answer.

Second, I lurked here for the last few days and did some reading about boots. I thought it was interesting because I was in the middle of getting fitted for boots. I paid particular attention to the thoughts about flexing causing rotation.

I decided on boots based on fit (first) for my level of skiing and goals. I asked the fitter to evaluate the various boots I was considering based on rotation during flex. The boots I decided on, Nordica Beast 10's, do not seem (to me or him) to rotate when flexed. Anyone have a different opinion on this particular boot?

Lastly, skis. Now that I have boots that (finally!) fit well, I am ready to investigate skis. While I can certainly appreciate why everyone suggests demo-ing, I don't get to ski very often and don't care to spend my precious skiing vacation time shopping. Thus, it's important to me to make a confident decision on a good ski to buy or--at the very least--have a (very) short list of skis to (try) to demo.

My short list presently includes:

K2 Omni 5.5
Atopmic C:9
Dynastar Omecarve 8

I ski blues fairly confidently, am beginning to eliminate the skidding (on rentals) from my turns, want to focus on carving, and want to be able to ease off into some powder from time-to-time. Certainly, I want to be able to ski with stability on crud and packed powder as well as groomed slopes.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts and feedback!

Steering

Postby John Mason » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:01 pm

Steering is such a broad term with so many meanings and contexts as it applies to skiing, that often the same person will use the word in a different meaning in a single web post or real life conversation.

Pivoting or pointing your skis is what most seem to mean when they say "steer" the skis. In PMTS we don't do that.

Other people use steering as a "result" rather than an input. They will point to the beginning of the two footed release as a way to "steer" the skis down the hill. While in a two footed release the skies do seek the fall line at the beginning of the turn, but this is a passive result of the drill. This has nothing to do with "leg steering" or pivoting the skis in any active sense. This whole confusion also surrounds the use of the term "rotary" or "rotation". Obviously these things happen. But in any discussion for skiing are we talking about a result or an input?

For clarity, hopefully here at least, these types of descriptions should focus on "inputs". Otherwise confusion reigns.

As far as equipment goes, I like different skis for different tasks. My personal recommendation is get what you like for you favorite/most often style of skiing then rent something else as the needs change. The "all mountain - do everything ski" has too many compromises. A single ski that skis equally well in crud and powder while carving it up on groomers doesn't exist. So, if you were to be carving most often on packed powder, then select a dream carving ski then rent for the yuck spring conditions as an example.

I'm still a pretty new skier, and as such my ski taste has changed over time. I now like a ski with ability to deeply flex yet still hold an edge. This type of ski allows for a greater range of turn shapes while still carving than some of the super stiffies that are out there. My personal favorite ski so far is the Head 1100 xrc World Cup sandwich model. I've never been on a ski that keeps the tails in place, is calm going fast, has such a range of bending as that ski. I had been on 6 stars and head I75m's before. (still got them, but not using them now) Both the 6 stars and the I75m's are the "all mountain" type and are no where the "carvers" the heads are.

I'm not sure where you are located, but the Pro Shop at Holiday Valley has 1100xrc's sw world cup version for rent. I've been on lots of different atomics too. In the summer at the camps I've been too you get to try them for free. I still like that model head better. The Atomics used on the WC are not the Beta construction but more normal WC construction. (look at any of the pics).

The advice is sound. Demo first then buy.

Also, you could sign up for real skiers paid log in. They use reponses from ski testers around the country build a database of ski testing results. That would give you some objective feedback on those specific skis your interested in.

Where are you located?
John Mason

ski options

Postby Jim Ratliff » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:05 pm

I would add the Head iC160 to your list. It is a great ski for someone working on carving technique, will grow with you as you grow, and is a great value. The K2 Omni 5.5 is also a good choice (or get last year's 5500 if you can find a good deal), and the Volkl 4 star might be a good choice (although probably more expensive than the Head and K2).

The Head chip system skis (1100 and iM75) as well as the Volkl 5 and 6 stars are really great high end skis and recommended/used a lot by people on this site; you need to decide if you need that much ski.

I would pay a lot of attention to the ski reviews on the Real Skiers web site if you are a member, the reviews there and the rating information is really on-target.
Jim Ratliff

Postby milesb » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:28 am

I don't know how Harald feels about this, but I think a narrower ski will make it easier to LEARN PMTS techniques, as you probably still spend alot of time on packed snow (it's the leverage). The only thing you will gain from most stiff skis is the ability to hold a carve on harder snow at much higher speeds. Unfortunately, you bought rotary boots. It's been discussed alot here, but the short answer is look at how the rivets are positioned, and see the path that the upper boot must follow. Now if you never flex the boot much, it won't be an issue, but that's a perfect world situation. I have rotary boots, and on the occasions when they flex, the outside ski really tends to wash out, like when I am a bit "off" in the bumps.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Ken » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:00 pm

Don't buy skis. Rent top quality skis when you get to the mountain. If you don't like the way they ski, get something different. You'll save money and always have the latest technology under your feet.

You were wise to buy good, suitable boots. If you get to a resort with a Harb-trained boot fitter, get the expert fitting. http://www.harbskisystems.com/alignshop.htm

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System