PMTS Mental Keys

PMTS Forum

Re: PMTS Mental Keys

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:29 am

My current thoughts for each turn are quite simple really; aren't they? I think this all goes through my head during the float, so much for a moment of rest! the rest of the turn is then a breeze. Most of MY list won't be relevant to the average drinker of Kool Aid, as Harald says I'm "special". But any of these that are understandable might give you a laugh.

hold old turn counter until engaged (eg fall line in slow turns)
outside ski: tip at tail of ski
target tip ABOVE target
progressive free leg flexing during turn (eg 2 of 5 at fall line 5 of 5 at release)
flex new STANCE leg at release
variable stance foot engagement (eg 2 of 5 at fall line 5 of 5 at release)
palms down like on skateboard
wider stance to avoid tail in
feel the tails
wait for the skis
retract stance leg to balance on LTE
jumping edge changes for a day when the tails won't behave
tip past flat to engage early
knee inside with free foot pullback
feet together only in powder
complete the turn with part flex and more tipping
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby A.L.E » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:35 am

Key for me is establishing early balance on the stance ski.

How do I know I have balance on the stance ski? I want to be able to lift the inside ski off the snow at any point in the turn, this proves balance is on the stance ski and counter balance has been successfully established. If I do this I don't hip dump.
A.L.E

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:03 pm

That sounds too easy. You need more thoughts, skiing isn't meant to be fun you know ALE. And yes, your arse will look big in those retro stretchy ski pants you know you want.

(we need to plan a trip, i'm bored).
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby ToddW » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:58 pm

I just spent 3 days on snow getting slowly reacquainted with skis. It wasn't pretty at first. As I cycled through the essentials, I didn't so much have mental keys as voices in my head feeding me adjustments and external cues to guide them. Chris and Rich were the most vocal this time, but Bob, Diana, Glenn, Harald, Jasper, Jay, Max, and Walter are always there for me too.

The best non-human coach I've found is firmer snow. Sadly most of the snow was squishy soft this past weekend, but at both A-Basin and Loveland there were a few small patches of scraped off that were good for confirming tipping, CB, and CA. This sort of snow talks to you too, just in a different way. So next time you hear skiers complain about snowboarders scraping all the snow off the hills, explain what a great favor is actually being done :wink:

If there were no firm snow and no voices in my head and I wanted a short list of mental keys to focus on, then hands down the winners would be the new PMTS pole plant, free foot pullback, and continued free foot flexing after transition.
ToddW

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Hey Todd!

my experience with the voices:

don't answer back if anyone else is about.

Have a great camp and say hi to everyone from Oz.

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby A.L.E » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:07 am

MonsterMan wrote:

That sounds too easy. You need more thoughts, skiing isn't meant to be fun you know ALE. And yes, your arse will look big in those retro stretchy ski pants you know you want.

(we need to plan a trip, i'm bored).

I have to dumb things down mate, maximum two things to think about at any one time. If I had your ridiculously long list I wouldn't get off the chairlift!!!!!

I'm off to CO on the 30th for 9 days. Qantas QF11 - A380, should be a nice flight if the engine doesnt blow up again, you should be coming with me. I told you I was going didn't I?

I wouldn't be talking about other people's big arses if I was you. Have you booked Japan? Snow looks late there, like CO atm.

When I eventually do Japan it will be on my own, +1 insists on blue skies and snow. The sun doesnt come out all winter on Hakkaido.
A.L.E

Postby ToddW » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:58 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Hey Todd!

my experience with the voices:

don't answer back if anyone else is about.

Have a great camp and say hi to everyone from Oz.

Geoff

Geoff,

I concur. As a rule, I don't answer the voices in public. But it's tough when Jay starts cracking bad jokes :D

No camp this fall; I just snuck away for a 3-day skiing weekend. Was supposed to be the previous week, but Hurricane Sandy intervened. I'll be at the 1st Hintertux camp ... Have you and J. picked a Hintertux session yet? And I'll also be at the 2nd Superblue in January.
ToddW

Postby razie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 am

Dear Mr. Monster,

I love your thoughts, but I got bad news for you: I shall make them mine....

not yet... not yet... wait for it.... wait for it

NOW!

HAHA - they're mine now!
razie

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Razie you cat,

I kept a backup, but still feel violated. Remember, what happens in my thoughts, stays in our thoughts ok?

Todd,

waiting to see how my knee rehabilitates, so any chance of camp will be last minute and subject to availability of a spot. Mrs Monster has a huge term and is a definite no for next year, so if I get there it's you an me holding up the bar at the end of each night ok?

ALE,

enjoy the A380, that's the flight Mike and I were on two years ago when you slummed it on United. Easy flight on the Airbus, but remember that most pilots say "if it ain't BOING I ain't going".
MonsterMan

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:12 pm

I have to dumb things down mate, maximum two things to think about at any one time

OK, so after sex and food and what's that leave you with???

"Hip Dump"
MonsterMan

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm

I concur. As a rule, I don't answer the voices in public. But it's tough when Jay starts cracking bad jokes :D

when in the matrix Todd, you should make Jay an obstetrician.

He might then improve his ...delivery
MonsterMan

Postby HighAngles » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:23 pm

A.L.E wrote:Key for me is establishing early balance on the stance ski.

How do I know I have balance on the stance ski? I want to be able to lift the inside ski off the snow at any point in the turn, this proves balance is on the stance ski and counter balance has been successfully established. If I do this I don't hip dump.

As I've learned today at camp, this is also a key for my skiing. Diana found multiple ways to show me that I haven't got a clue how to really balance on my skis. Then she gave me a couple drills to help improve my balance and I actually started getting some early counterbalance going on.

Looking at your avatar A.L.E., you clearly have done some work on your counterbalancing - very nice.
HighAngles

Postby A.L.E » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:43 am

MonsterMan wrote:
"Hip Dump"

:lol:

Thems are two nasty words.
A.L.E

Postby A.L.E » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:36 am

HighAngles wrote:
A.L.E wrote:Key for me is establishing early balance on the stance ski.

As I've learned today at camp, this is also a key for my skiing. Diana found multiple ways to show me that I haven't got a clue how to really balance on my skis. Then she gave me a couple drills to help improve my balance and I actually started getting some early counterbalance going on.

Looking at your avatar A.L.E., you clearly have done some work on your counterbalancing - very nice.

That's always been my better side...............actually last season Dianna sorted things out so my bad side came good too. With the advice to "get on it", refering to get on the outside ski early and really balance on it. And don't fall inside early, lead with the tipping not the hip dumping. Once I transfered weight and balance early in the high C it was easier to concentrate on lifting my inside pelvis and keeping my inside hand high. Keeping strong hand/knuckle position sort of like my avatar, is another very strong mental key for me to help CB. The outside pole tip could be closer to the snow.

As I said earlier, the CB test she set was being able to lift my inside ski off the snow at any point in the turn.

Say Hi to Diana for me HA, actually you better make that a Hi from Ian from Oz. ALE wont mean anything to her.

I'm catching up with her in a couple of weeks.
A.L.E

Postby BigE » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 am

A.L.E wrote:With the advice to "get on it", refering to get on the outside ski early and really balance on it. And don't fall inside early, lead with the tipping not the hip dumping. Once I transfered weight and balance early in the high C it was easier to concentrate on lifting my inside pelvis and keeping my inside hand high.

Nice sequential thinking, I like it!
BigE

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System