Boot/Alignment Questions

PMTS Forum

Boot/Alignment Questions

Postby alan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:19 am

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to PMTS and fairly new to skiing. I just started skiing last January. I seem to be stuck at not making much progress with the releasing exercies. This has prompted me to start looking at my boots and alignment.

I'm having problems releasing my turns, especially when trying to flatten my left foot while making a right turn and starting a turn to the left. I had my stance checked and the boot fitter added 1.5 degrees of canting under my left foot and I had custom foot beds made to fix pain that I was feeling in my feet due to high arches. That has helped a lot but I am still having problems releasing my left foot and start out turns to the left with a small wedge. I also tend to wash out the tails of my skis to either direction, even though its a lot better since having my stance aligned and the footbeds made.

Here are my questions:

1. I think that I may be knock kneed but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe someone can help me figure this out? When I stand with my feet parallel and my legs relaxed my knees track to the inside of my big toes. I can tense my muscles and make my knees track over my middle toe though, so that's why I'm not sure. My knees track correctly just to the outside of my big toes when I'm wearing my ski boots with both feet on the floor and pressured evenly. When I lift one foot or the other though, my knees track to the inside of my big toes, similarly to Tommi's from his "Alignment question" post.

2. I'm using Salomon Performa 7.0 boots. Is this a rotary boot?

3. If my boot is a rotary boot, could someone recomend a lateral boot model that would be appropriate for my size? Here are my stats:

Foot Dimensions: 27.5 length, B - C width. High arches
Weight: 140 lbs.
Height/inseam: 5'8"/32"

4. If I need new boots, then can I move my footbeds to the new boots, or will I have to have new ones made to fit the new boots?

5. If my boots are an appropriate model, then should I try experimenting with canting by adding some shims between my inside heel edge and binding to see if that helps?

Alan
alan

Postby Tommi » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:09 am

Hi Alan,

I have very little expertise to give any answers to your questions. But I can tell you some feelings about my own process.

First, at least for me, surprisingly small adjustments create quite noticeable changes in sensing of balance. And it takes time to adjust to the changes, because I feel that for example in my case my body had sort of adapted to the wrong angles.

So take your time.. Do you feel tense doing the exercises? To me, the key is to relax and balance. I have recently tried to concentrate on this, and now with small additional changes to the boots (I cut a bit of the additional insole from my right boot) I have got a rather good feeling of balance and can 'feel the edges' better.

Second, I think a clean release is not so easy to perform well. So you are definitely not alone with this.

I really hope that you'll find the correct alignment and balance. I'm sure Harald and the other experts here can help you further.

Have fun,
Tommi
Tommi

Postby *SCSA » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:43 am

Morning Alan,

I only write from my perspective and what works for me. I'm a hack. However, as always, I observe a lot by watching. :wink:

How many days do you have in since starting PMTS? Anyone can be an expert skier if they follow HH's stuff, and, they put in the requisite time on the slopes.

Are you turning with anyone else who follows it? Make sure you are. You don't want to practice it wrong.

Make sure your equipment is right. You don't have to have Head skis and Dalbello boots. You just can't have the wrong equipment.

I'm off to make turns @ the Beav. :D
ttfn,
*SCSA

Postby jbotti » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:56 am

Alan, I sympathize with your position. I started skiing two years ago and I also got the book early on and I practiced what I could by myself. As for equipment, I can tell you that finding someone who will fit you for boots properly and will also be able to adjust your alignment can be a very difficult thing to find. Now that my knowledge base has increased over the past two years, most shops I go into, after asking just a few questions I make the decison that they probably couldn't even fit me for boots properly, much less start to deal with alignment. I also agree with SCSA in that you need proper equipment and if your misalignment is dramatic (as mine was), certain essential moves in PMTS may be nearly impossible.
My first pair of boots were almost two sizes too large. In the end it was a good thing that happened. I decided I was going to make sure I got it right and have my alignment addressed appropriately at the same time. I flew to Denver to see Harald and Diana. I realize that this may not be an option for you (but it is clearly your best one). Similar to this would be to go to a Harbski camp and sign up in advance for the equipment and alignment work. Again if this is not an option, I would reccomend that you spend time on http://www.realskiers.com and do a phone consultation with Peter Keelty on who in your area can do a good job. Peter can also tell you whether your boots are rotary or lateral.
I am also knocked kneed. I test this by standing with my feet paralell and then I flex forward and I watch where my knees aim. If your knees flex over your feet you are not knock kneed. If your knees flex and move towards each other you are knock kneed. From what you are describing it sounds as if you are knock kneed. (in my case it is painfully evident, subtle misalignmnt may be harder to detect).
Lastly here is a drill that may help you some with releasing (which I find is the essence of skiing). In traversing turns, stay on the LTE of the old non stance leg (from the turn you just made) and balance on it without the other leg. While you are still on the LTE of this ski (you will now be traversing) initiate the new turn by tipping the LTE of the other ski while you are still on the LTE of the other ski. There should be a moment when you are simultaneoulsy on both Little toe edges. I found this exercise quite difficult at first, but it has done wonders for my ability to release and to avoid being "big toe happy". I hope that helps some.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby alan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:14 pm

I'd like to to say thanks to everyone for your responses so far. :)

SCA,

I've been trying the PMTS exercises for the last 3 weeks of skiing for a total of about 9 days of skiing with PMTS. I probably only get about one to two hours of practice time in each day I ski. I'll do some exercises then relax and just ski for a run then go back and ski some more exercises to keep from getting to bored / frustrated.

tdb,

I'll try the exercise you suggested tomorrow to see if that helps any, while I'm waiting for answers about my boot type/suggestions.

Thanks,

Alan
alan

Stuck left foot

Postby dlathon » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:36 pm

Alan if you think you have an alignment problem try the following in your boots, mark the center of your knee cap with a relaxed stance, full dead weight against the front of your boots. Now get a plum bob or something of weight that can hang from a string. Cut to lenght so that while you hold the top of the string at the center marked area of your knee and the bottom of the plum bob just above the toe of your boot. If the plum bob hangs between your big toe and baby toe you are pretty aligned on the knee.

Just standing in the house in your boots and saying they are flat on the floor is pretty misleading. Next time out skiing try to ski in some softer snow where you can leave a mark as you ski. Find a area where you can control your speed and do a short straight run. Then go back and look at your marks in the snow. If you see excessive eging in the snow on one ski or both ( The center edges- A framed - Knot- Kneed) then you probably need to get someone to help you get level in your boots.

Being stuck on the left leg in a turn is quite common when begining, I am guessing your strong leg is your right, an you are right handed. You just don't feel confident in comitting to the left ski early in the turn. In time this too shall pass!! Enjoy.
dlathon

everything

Postby Joe bob » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:56 pm

Or get Harald's book "Anyone can be an Expert Skier 1. It covers everything from movements to alignment.
Joe bob

Postby Joseph » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:18 am

Salomon Performa series:

Not rotary, however, it is quite roomy in the ankle--especially for those with thin ankles. We have had experiences where we have tried to cant that boot and had little or no reaction because there is so much room around the ankle. Selecting boot models depends a lot on what type of skier you are, and what type you want to become. Head, Dalbello and Salomon (X-wave or crossmax series--as well as their race boot) are all lateral models.

As for your footbeds, statistacally speaking--if we did not make them, they are probably not helping your skiing at all. By and large most footbeds made by ski shops are a waste of money and amount to a wedge of plastic that conforms to the bottom of your foot. Sorry. If it is rigid, it not only not helping, but hindering your ability to balance. If it is stiff, take it out and put in the stock footbed.

Plumb bobbing your own knees is also not the greatest idea, because looking down at your feet will affect the plumb, and therefore the measurement.

If you are fairly serious about alignment, I reccomend that you visit the harb ski systems web site and find the nearest Harb alignment center.
Joseph

Right on!

Postby Joyie » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:20 pm

There are plenty of ways to guess at your alignment, but they only confound the problem and raise the frustration. Take the time and get aligned properly by a certified Harb technician. It will be worth every cent you spent getting there and going through the process.
Joyie

Thanks

Postby alan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:10 pm

Thanks for your help everyone.

Hopefully I'll be able make an appointment to see Glen Scanell in NH next week to have my aligment checked.

I was practicing the uphill foot release to phantom move today, and finally got it. I just wasn't leaning my upper body down the hill far enough when I had practiced these turns the last 3 times I've been skiing. For some reason I started leaning my upper body farther down the hill today, and the turns just started to happen, were as before I felt like I was stuck on my little toe edge with my knees glued together. After I skiied these turns to each side for a few runs, I made a few fun runs, and my turns felt a lot smoother and in control.

I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow and practicing the two footed releases to see if I'm still having problems releasing to the left. I'll also go back and work on linking more of the uphill foot release to phantom turns together.

I removed the custom footbeds tonight and put in some plain Dr Scholls footbeds, as I don't have the stock foot beds anymore. I'll see how that effects my turns tomorrow. The Dr. Scholls have some arch support and are flexible, unlike the customs which are quite stiff as Joseph described.
alan

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System