weighted release

PMTS Forum

weighted release

Postby davidpjr » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:10 pm

It seems that when trying the weighted release that I find myself extending up to force myself onto the edge of the downhill ski. However, if I flex the downhill ski and try to roll to the downhill edge without extending it I want to fall over. Anyone have an idea what the real key is to making this work? It sounds easy when reading how to do it but no so much when trying it. I can get over on the edge but not without a lot of effort and extending up.
davidpjr

Postby tommy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:15 pm

For me the wr is much easier to do if I carry some speed. With speed, the centripetal acceleration wants to "throw" you in the direction you want your body to move next, so by just flexing, rolling the skis over to the new edges, and "sucking up the knees" you will cross over the skis automatically.

"Use the force"

--Tommy
tommy

Postby milesb » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:29 pm

3 things. You need to make sure that you have some pressure on the front of the ski when you do the WR. Try pulling the old inside ski back before the transition.
As Tommy noted, speed helps, and make sure you don't traverse between turns.
Also, the wider the ski, the harder the WR is to do right.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Hobbit » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:30 am

Proper alignment is a precondition for WR.
Balance training would also help.
Just pointing the obvious. :)
Hobbit
Site Admin

Weighted Release

Postby Joseph » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:48 am

Alignment does help. Pulling the feet back will help too, but what is critical for doing a proper weighted release is counterbalancing and counteracting movements. It sounds as if you may be rotating into the turn David. Read the chapter in book 2 on couteracting and counterbalancing movements of the upper body. Improper positioning of the upper body makes it nearly impossible to do a weighted release proplerly. Learn the proper home base for your hands and counter, then a weighted release should be as easy as balancing on one foot.

Joseph
Joseph

Re: weighted release

Postby Harrison » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:02 pm

davidpjr wrote:It sounds easy when reading how to do it but no so much when trying it. I can get over on the edge but not without a lot of effort and extending up.

exactly, it sounds easy when reading about it
weighted release/von grunigen(sp?) out of everything i have learned in skiing, was one of the hardest things to get right....practice makes perfect, and people are giving some good tips
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

weighted release

Postby davidpjr » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:51 pm

Tks all for the tips. However, as I watch the worldcup racers, I see serious obvious weighted releases just some of the time. So, I assume you just pick and choose the right time? Otherwise, they are doing it all the time and it is hard to see they are doing it except for those few times you can't miss it.
david pennington
davidpjr

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System