notes from a hack skee instruckter

PMTS Forum

notes from a hack skee instruckter

Postby *SCSA » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:35 am

Morning Rusty,

I'm skiing with a friend yesterday who's following PMTS. Why are they following PMTS? Quite frankly, he/she/it wasn't getting anywhere taking walk-up ski lessons.

And of course he/she/it wants to ski like me. Hah ha hah.

Anyway, I'm a hack teacher. But after working with me yesterday at Snowmass, I was able to get he/she/it to make tight carved turns. How? First, we ditched the idea of steering. I showed he/she/it how to stand on the downhill ski, while countering and keeping the inside hip up. And get this. My friend was skiing with too narrow a stance. So I got he/she/it to open their stance up a few inches! I've come so far... :lol:

My friend had taken lessons, he/she/it is a dark blue skier. But the idea of steering just wasn't cutting it. Watching HH's videos made more sense to he/she/it.

So what's my point? That I was able to take one skier, and in 1 day, get them to make nice tight carved turns ala PMTS.

I have to say, it was cool. My friend is jazzed. He/she/it got a feeling from he/she/its edges they had never felt before. He/she/it is now more excited than ever, about skiing.

But here's why I give you, cudos. Remember when you had me working on "your version of thousand steps"? I did the same thing with my friend. It was the precursor, to getting he/she/it to lay down some nice tracks. Matter of fact Rusty, I practice it all the time. It's really fun to do.

I observe a lot by watching. While playing ski instructor, I noticed ski instructors spend way too much time talking. I also noticed that they don't let the students make very many turns. Or, everything is so darn controlled -- "Make 5 turns and stop". I'd show my pal a few things, then we'd ski. We talked, on the chair lift.

###################

I also noticed where Rusty claims PMTS instructors can't carve. Say what? SkiSynergy carves like there's no tomorrow. He/she/it carves so good I'm sure he/she/it is carving somewhere now. Same with the apprentice. I can lay 'em down too. So what's up with that? Did somebody pee in Rusty's oatmeal again? :lol:

That's it... :)
*SCSA

Inside Hip Up

Postby HarveyD » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:33 pm

SCSA.
What's up with the inside hip up? I'm not challenging it--it's great stuff. It's just that I've never seen it discussed in the PMTS literature. There's plenty of discussion on that topic over on Epic.
HarveyD

Postby Rusty Guy » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:56 pm

First of all........never said all PMTSers, said some.

Just like some PSIA members cannot tip the skis and carve.

I'm happy that the experience worked out well and simply because of your enthusiasm and love for the sport I think you would make and/or are a very good teacher.

Finding the right balance of talk and skiing is critical. There are a variety of factors.

Tipping the skis and carving dependends upon limiting rotary movements.
Rusty Guy

Re: Inside Hip Up

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:37 pm

HarveyD wrote:SCSA.
What's up with the inside hip up? I'm not challenging it--it's great stuff. It's just that I've never seen it discussed in the PMTS literature. There's plenty of discussion on that topic over on Epic.

The point is that the hip isn't dropped intentionally. Everything from the knees up just balances. The hips will naturally get into a countering position as speed, gravity, and centrifugal force increase if they just balance while the feet keep the skis edged.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby *SCSA » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:12 am

Eh, I can't explain the hip thing very well. Besides, I think HH would go gonzo if I tried as I'm not -- I repeat not -- a ski instructor. HH talked about it in the carving camp I went to. The only skiing thang I'm certified in is being certifiably nutzo. :lol:

Maybe SS will step in here and explain the hips.

As Rusty said, I get by along way on enthusiasm. I'm willing to bet you'll never see anyone but me, doing this:

Big ole smile and teeth, jumping up and down in place, arms waving going, "Isn't this great! We're out here, skiing Snowmass and having a ball. It just can't get any better than this. C'mon, let's go make some turns." Then after we're done skiing, I'm still so excited that I buy the beer. Imagine that. Free lessons and, I buy the beer. Well, like I always say. "Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it." :lol:

My friend will save some money skiing with me and that's great. But, just as I told he/she/it, "Look. I'm just a hack. Some would say not even a good hack. I can point a few things out, but what you need to do, is take a camp and see this stuff from the source."

One thing I've said since the beginning is that in my twisted opinion, the biggest benefit of PMTS are that two skiers can help each other because they're both studying the same book. Just like being in the same class at school -- not that I know anything about going to school, mind you. :lol:

There we were at Snowmass. My friend asks me about the float, I tell him. He asks about coordinating the upper body with the lower, I can tell him. He asks about the pole swing, I can help him. At the end of the day, he/she/it was making better turns.

And I even bought the beer! :D

Now if I can just figure out why no one at the home office will return my calls, or emails... :roll:
*SCSA

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System