How can I teach the "float"?

PMTS Forum

How can I teach the "float"?

Postby BigE » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Any ideas?
BigE

Re: How can I teach the "float"?

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Teach the Essentials and the float will be a result.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi, my name is Neutral. If you want to learn how to float, you must first learn to identify me in transition. One way you can do that is to make transitions where you ride a flat ski for at least one ski length. Looking at tracks will tell you if you are really doing this. If you have any kind of a stem move in transtion, you will never be able to find me.

Riding a flat ski through transition on steep blue terrain will definitely allow someone to learn about the float. Also, you can add this into other drills. For example, if when doing the boot touch, the challenge would be to pause at neutral, clap (signifying you recognize neutral) and then tip in the new direction. When looking at it, the effect should be very crisp. Release the old edges to neutral, pause, tip to new edges. 1, 2, 3.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 pm

h.harb wrote:You can describe float to developing skiers as the ski flat on the snow for a brief moment, its the only sensation that can be related to them. True float has an unweighted aspect that can only come from rebound and fast retraction of the knees
Max_501

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System