Powder Skis

PMTS Forum

Powder Skis

Postby MD » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:10 pm

I am travelling to Northern Japan next year and will hopefully encounter a lot of powder. My question is whether Powder skis are a must or whether I could get by on my mid-fats (X-screams). I realise that powder skis with the extra waist provide a lot more float and are therefore easier to use in deep powder.

Thanks.
MD

Postby sunrise » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:12 am

Not a real answer, but I'm in Japan and will hit Hokkaido at some point this season and was wondering the same thing. In the end I've decided to go for a mid fat - 75mm waist, and then if I really feel I need powder skis I'll rent them. I know quite a few people with several pairs of fat skis in their quivers, they're hardly skiing piste at all. This season I want to ski a lot more off piste. I wanted to buy both but couldn't quite afford 2 pairs of skis at once. I was interested in the Head Monster i.M 75 Chip, but can't get the length recommended for me over there, they only have longer lengths, so I'm probably going to get the Dyna Legend 4800 which I can find at at 158 (maybe not best for powder but good as a 1 quiver ski). I'm 163cm and weigh around 121lbs. Assuming you don't need less than 160s in length you should be able to get what you need. Mind you, you might be buying before you travel, which would probably be cheaper to buy before you travel anyway.
Where are you headed? Niseko?

Julianne
sunrise

Postby sunrise » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:22 am

Oops, I should add to that. I'm not sure the dimensions of the X-Scream. Is it 75 or 80mm waist? At any rate I imagine that they should give you a reasonable amount of mileage if you're skiing around places like Niseko, though fatter skis are always nice for that neck of the woods, too because they tend to get so much snow up there (depending on when you're there too), so sorry I'm not really giving you any real answers here. Are you planning to do a bit of BC or just hit the powder in the resorts?

A good website to check out is http://www.snowjapan.com You can ask questions about conditions, etc to the folk in the forums, (though there are no PMTS people there.)

Julianne
sunrise

Im on Snow Japan

Postby SkierSynergy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 am

sunrise wrote:A good website to check out is http://www.snowjapan.com You can ask questions about conditions, etc to the folk in the forums, (though there are no PMTS people there.)

I'm on SnowJapan also. I responded to a few people this summer about Harb Carvers because I sold some to a Japanese team this summer and also about the Head 1100.

It's worth checking out.
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Postby sunrise » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:53 am

Hey, SS,

Wow, you were over on the SJ forums? I must have missed your posts on the carvers. I posted a link up there to the carvers after reading about them, but there didn't seem to be much interest.
Kool, the J ski team bought some.

Ah, I was on that Head thread. I just took another look and saw your post. Way cool to see a PMTS lover over on SJ.

Now if only you guys would come over here! I'll be the first in line for lessons/camps/alignment, or even just to share a few turns if I'm able to keep up :)

cheers
Julianne
sunrise

Postby MD » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:09 pm

X-Screams I think are 69mm which is still a mid-fat probably on the skinner end of mid-fat. Not sure if another 5-10mm makes that much difference. Going to Niseko & Asahidake so hopefully lots of powder.
MD

Postby sunrise » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:22 pm

69 sounds reasonably narrow, you might want something that will give you more float, however that too might also depend on your skiing level since expert skiers skied powder for years in the old matchstick-shaped skis. In a typical season at Niseko you should get a lot of powder. It should be easy to find some fat skis up there if you find you need them, though you might have to go to nearby Kuchan (town) to buy them. Certainly you should be able to rent them on the slopes. I don't know anything about Asahidake, but I think there was a recent thread on the snowjapan.com forums raving about that place. Hmmm, maybe that you posting the question about that area over there?

Julianne
sunrise

Postby MD » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:56 pm

Sunrise - It was probably me that posted that question on snowjapan about Asahidake. I probably will demo in Niseko and maybe buy. Any ideas on prices??
MD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System