Advancing intermediate question

PMTS Forum

Advancing intermediate question

Postby trtaylor » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:15 am

As an advancing intermediate, working on my own through the exercises in Harald's first book, I have two equipment related questions.

1. As I get better and also faster, what kind of clues will my skis be giving me that they may be too short? Am currently skiing on Head i C160's.
2. What kind of clues will I get from my boots that they may be too soft?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
trtaylor

Skis and Boots

Postby Joseph » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:47 pm

Tim,

I ski on an iC160 in a 170 and have found that it almost never lacks the stability required for expert skiing all over the mountain. The only place I have ever felt that I wanted more ski was either in a race course or following racers on GS skis (30 mph+). Granted that I am light compared to most, but far heavier folks than me experience the same with that ski. Assuming that you are not huge, and that your skis are no shorter than a 163, I can pretty much say that as an advancing intermediate, you don't need any more ski than what you already have. However, if you feel like you want to try something with a little more power, I reccomend the Head XRC chip in a laminate. I haven't skied it personally, but everyone who has raves, Harald included.

As for the boot question, it is difficult to give any answer without knowing a little more about your particular situation. Do you suspect that your boots are too soft? Why? Or are you just looking for possible cues that might indicate such? How big are you? What boot are you in? Does it feel squishy or bottom out in the turn?

In any case, if you feel uncomfortable on your equipment, my suspicion would be to address your misgivings about the boots. You've got the right ski for all mountain expert skiing.

Joseph
Joseph

xrc laminate

Postby John Mason » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:56 pm

the xrc laminate (or sw for sandwich) I don't believe has the "chip" - just your regular world cup construction in a radius right between GS and Salom.

(it's confusing as they have 3 flavors of the xrc 1100)

the chip w/super railflex
the super railflex w/o the chip
and
the 1100 world cup construction ski which they call the xrc 1100 sw
John Mason

Thanks

Postby trtaylor » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:47 pm

Joesph,

Thanks for your reply. I have the 163 cm i C160's. Sounds like I'll be ok for quite a while. I will concentrate on the boots.

Tim
trtaylor

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System