Where should I start?

PMTS Forum

Re: Where should I start?

Postby jclayton » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:10 am

Never too late ! Combine relaxing breathing , stretching in the right directions , and a way of measuring progress , bit by bit . Beneficial not just for skiing .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby absentskier » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:25 pm

I am hoping to get some more advice from you guys. We will be driving from Denver to Steamboat, but definitely stopping at the HSS shop for alignment. I am also going to have a private lesson with one of the HSS instructors, but have not decided whether it is best to do this straight away at the start of the trip before we get to Steamboat, or to wait a week or so and just drive back from Steamboat for a night / day. If I have a lesson straight away, I will not have had the chance to even try any of the PMTS drills, other than maybe a one day here this coming Australian winter. Further, I will barely have even been on skis for the last 5 years! Does this matter? Logistically, it would be easier to have a lesson while in the area on the way to Steamboat, but I wonder what would be best for my skiing? Any thoughts appreciated.
absentskier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm

My vote would be lesson first. Otherwise you may spend a week performing incorrect movements before your first lesson.
Max_501

Postby absentskier » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks Max, makes sense.
absentskier

Postby absentskier » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Well, our trip to Colorado is drawing closer and it's nice to see some snow falling. Getting very excited now. Looking forward to getting to the HSS shop!
absentskier

Postby absentskier » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 pm

My last post must have jinxed the weather, as it has barely snowed since and not much is on the horizon it seems. :(
absentskier

Postby joco » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Don't worry I was at steamboat last season and the snowmaking and grooming plus what little snow fell made for some good skiing. Perfect for working on pmts technique as long as you pick the best available runs and avoid being hit by all the frustrated staightlining snowboarders and fat ski powder hounds who can't access the wonderful powder terrain that steamboat is famous for due to lack of snow cover. If it does snow then the powder skiing won't be ideal to develop pmts as unless you own the movements you will tend to revert to bad habits in the more challenging off piste conditions. When are you in steamboat as I may be there this season? Get as many pmts lessons as possible before you get to steamboat as last I knew there is no decent ski instruction there. If you are there for a long time it would be worthwhile driving to a pmts lesson during your stay. Maybe things have improved and a pmts instructor has moved to steamboat for this season. Don't use the ski school there you would be wasting your money and time.
joco

Postby absentskier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:14 am

We will be at Steamboat for a few weeks from approximately 22 December, although this holiday is as much or more about family time than skiing as such. I am actually having a lesson with Diana before we go to Steamboat. My understanding is that there are no PMTS instructors in Steamboat.

It's good to see some snow is expected in the next week or so.
absentskier

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System