Where should I start?

PMTS Forum

Re: Where should I start?

Postby milesb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:42 am

BigE wrote:You have vacation days you don't use? What, you own the company?

America.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby BigE » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:55 am

This is common?
BigE

Postby milesb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:07 am

You would be amazed at what is common in American workplaces. I'm fortunate to live in a state (one of only 4) where employers have to carry over at least some of your unused vacation time to the next year. Other states, you just lose it. American workers who take alot (in America 2-3 weeks is considered alot) of vacation are often considered to be slackers, or a disruption to business.
milesb

Postby Bonz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 am

BigE wrote:You have vacation days you don't use? What, you own the company?

haha, no, dont own the company.

The last two weeks of the year, i took it easy around the house (home office), but didnt take any days off officially, and still had things to do. Even when i go on vacation, i end up on the phone with work. Ive been on the beach in Mexico, Thanksgiving in New York City, touring winery's in Napa, and been on the phone with work issues. Its pretty much impossible for me to check out completely. I did it on my honeymoon a few years back for 4 or 5 days, but i was on an island with no cell coverage.
Bonz

Postby Bonz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 am

milesb wrote:You would be amazed at what is common in American workplaces. I'm fortunate to live in a state (one of only 4) where employers have to carry over at least some of your unused vacation time to the next year. Other states, you just lose it. American workers who take alot (in America 2-3 weeks is considered alot) of vacation are often considered to be slackers, or a disruption to business.

this.

I am in sales management. We are allowed to carry over 160 hours each year, no more than that. I accrue 1.25 hours a month of vacation (i think). See, i dont even know how much i accrue because it really doesnt matter, i never use it all.

People that take 2 weeks at a time in this country are few and far between in my experience. I can tell you, no one at my company does. And it might not even be allowed, again, im not sure. I think we are limited to a week at a time.

By far the most common way i take time off is to take a Friday and Monday off, giving me 4 straight days and only two work days, or schedule days off around company holidays. I took a full week off when my child was born, but i was still in my home office and taking/making calls. "Hey, i know you are off today, but..."

milesb, is right, there is actually a stigma attached to taking off, although its unspoken and no one mentions it. You just "know". And i cant blame it all on my company either. Although i do draw a salary now, for most of my career i worked on straight commission in a VERY competitive business. There is a fear (and its justified), that if you arent there with your product, someone else will be with theirs, and you might not get that business back. It happens. In fact it happened to me just recently, at no fault of my own. (not time off related though)
Bonz

Postby milesb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 am

The irony is that while you get the "we can't afford for you to be gone 2 weeks", you also get the "you're lucky to have a job in this economy, you can be easily replaced" thing- usually unspoken, but many employers' actions get the message across loud and clear.
milesb

Postby BigE » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 am

Americans are crazy. You could not pay me enough.
BigE

Postby Bonz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:58 am

BigE wrote:Americans are crazy.

No argument there!
At least before the Internet we worked a lot and were productive. :lol:

I see you're Canadian. I thought the workplace culture would be very similar. I know Europeans and Aussies are much different.
Bonz

Postby BigE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:06 am

Canadians are proud not to be American.

You'd be surprised how little America is liked world wide. Heck, even American travellers have been known to sew Canadian flags on their backpacks so that Europeans treat them better....
BigE

Postby Bonz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:35 am

What does work culture have to do with people not liking Americans??? Just couldnt pass up the chance to take a shot?

Why would I be surprised? Do you have inside info?
I do have a passport.

I've traveled to a few places out of the country and have been treated well, all without a maple leaf patch .
Bonz

Postby BigE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Canadians don't want to emulate American work culture because they don't like American culture. It's not a cheap shot, nor is it unique to Canada.
BigE

Postby Bonz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 pm

BigE wrote:Canadians don't want to emulate American work culture because they don't like American culture. It's not a cheap shot, nor is it unique to Canada.

well thats fine, and i dont disagree, but your followup post seem to be more about people not liking Americans in general.
Like i said, ive traveled to a number of foreign countries (including Canada) and have enjoyed all of them, met fine people and was treated well. Maybe thats because im a nice guy and not a jerk...which every country has. American is pretty darned diverse, so dont take everything you see on TV as gospel.
I try not to stereotype . Eh?
:lol:
Bonz

Postby BigE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:56 pm

No problem, it does look like a nasty post. That's not how it was intended.

Anyway, I'm always treated well when I travel, except in Quebec. They're less fond of Americans than Torontonians, but not by much.

OTOH, my money is *always* treated well.
BigE

Postby absentskier » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm assuming the answer is no (having checked the HSS website), but does anyone know of a PMTS instructor at Steamboat?
absentskier

Postby absentskier » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 pm

One factor which will present a challenge in the development of my skiing will be my extremely limited range of motion and flex in every single muscle and joint in my body! Although I am athletic (as a former track sprinter), my flexibility has always been laughably poor. Anyway, you can only work with what you've got!
absentskier

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System