Where should I start?

PMTS Forum

Re: Where should I start?

Postby absentskier » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:13 am

Thanks all. I will start with Book 1 and go from there.

I expect that once I get into it, I will want to come to a camp. Can't wait to start reading!
absentskier

Postby absentskier » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Right, Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 1 (book and DVD) have just arrived in the post. And now the learning begins! Book 1, page 1, no doubt where a lot of you were many years ago. :)
absentskier

Postby h.harb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:01 am

I just reviewed Book 1 recently, the photos are obviously a few years old but everything in it, is still correct.
h.harb

Postby absentskier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm

I have now read ACBAES 1 and watched the DVD. I really enjoyed it and, on the whole, think I understood it! What I mean by that is that after reading the book, I was able to start to recognize and understand the movements (particularly tipping) the video displays.

It occurred to me that I have never once consciously tipped my feet to the LTE. I cannot recall any instructor ever telling me to do that before (even though I have not had all that many lessons). It seems so logical to me now.

I am now going to reread the book and start dryland tipping exercises. I have a very good feeling about PMTS and can't wait to try the basic drills.

No skiing for me until next Australian winter, where I'll get a couple of days on snow. I am, however, starting to plan a trip to USA in January 2013. Not sure exactly where yet, but it will need to be somewhere that is a good all round place for a family, with some fun stuff to do off the slopes. Preferably somewhere that I can get some PMTS lessons too! (I would love to do a Blue HSS camp, but note they are not held in January.)

Happy skiing all. Hopefully the snow really starts coming down for you all soon.
absentskier

Postby Smackboy1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:15 pm

absentskier wrote:I am, however, starting to plan a trip to USA in January 2013. Not sure exactly where yet, but it will need to be somewhere that is a good all round place for a family, with some fun stuff to do off the slopes. Preferably somewhere that I can get some PMTS lessons too!

Consider a trip to Keystone. It's a family friendly full service resort. Very close to A-Basin and Loveland.

http://www.keystoneresort.com/

On the way to Keystone stop in at Harb Ski Systems to get your boots/skis sorted out.
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby absentskier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks Smackboy, Keystone is certainly on the list of places to consider.
absentskier

Postby A.L.E » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm

absentskier wrote:It occurred to me that I have never once consciously tipped my feet to the LTE. I cannot recall any instructor ever telling me to do that before (even though I have not had all that many lessons). It seems so logical to me now.

Yep I can relate to that. Tipping feet was not in the Australian ski instructor's bag of tips up to the time I gave up on them.

I then tried OS and spent 4 days in a Whistler ski camp in the year 2000. The CSIA Level 4 instructor never once suggested I tip my feet. Let alone tip my free foot to initiate and control turn shape. The Whistler instructor spent much of the time trying to get my stance much wider. Five years later they were still trying to do the same to my boys when they took a lesson in Big White.

See your PMs for some USA ski holiday suggestions.
A.L.E

Postby absentskier » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm

I also attended a camp in Canada in 2007 (but not at Whistler), which I have to say was one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life. However, I cannot recall the instructors (who are at the top of the tree in CSIA) teaching me to tip the feet and certainly I had no major skiing breakthroughs. Interestingly, I remember before I signed up for that camp I asked the camp owner whether he knew anything about Harald. I cannot recall the exact answer, but I do remember that he said he had heard good things about Harald's teaching methods.

ALE, have sent PM.
absentskier

Postby absentskier » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Well, it is now confirmed that my family of 5 will be coming to the USA for about 6 weeks from approx. 17th December. :D (In case you are wondering why we have committed so early, it is because we are flying on miles/points. Our 5 tickets from Melbourne, Australia to Los Angeles cost $440 in total!) Hopefully the conditions next season will be better than they are now.

Still to decide where we will base ourselves, but Colorado does tick a lot of boxes. Including proximity to PMTS coaches and skiers. Slightly concerned about the altitude at Summit County, but I assume it only takes us folks who live at sea level a few days to adjust?

Although I am no "handy man", I will make a tipping board and start dryland tipping drills soon.

I love this forum and the advice you guys give.
absentskier

Postby Bonz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

6 weeks!!! :shock:
That is so awesome...
Bonz

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:30 pm

The beauty of Summit County is that if you do get stuck with another terrible snow year like this one, both Loveland and A-Basin are high enough and make enough snow to make sure that you will have something decent to ski. This year in mid January, Tahoe is green (actually brown) with no snow, Utah is not far from that and the lower elevations in Colorado aren't great.

If I was palnning a ski trip this far in advance and wanted to make sure I had skiable conditions, Summit County would be the only place that I would consider. Of course knowing the way things usually work, next year will probably be a monster snow year and anywhere you go will be rocking!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Smackboy1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm

absentskier wrote:Slightly concerned about the altitude at Summit County, but I assume it only takes us folks who live at sea level a few days to adjust?

If you can, spending at least 1 night in Denver can help ease the transition. Another option is Diamox (taken a few days prior to ascending).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetazolamide
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby absentskier » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Bonz wrote:6 weeks!!! :shock:
That is so awesome...
Not exactly sure whether it will be six weeks, but that's the plan. We need to start delving into the costs a little further before we commit to the return date! Disneyland is on the cards too.

This trip will only be achievable because:

- flights to and from Australia will not cost much because they will be on miles;
- cheap season passes (EPIC if we choose Summit County);
- hopefully reasonable long term condo rates (which will be FAR cheaper than equivalent on mountain condos in Australia);
- by the time we leave, I will have enough accrued annual leave!;
- and of course the very strong Australian $!

The cost that will be high is childcare and ski school for the kids. Although I am hesitant to use a traditional ski school for the kids, if they do not go to ski school at least some of the time, mum and dad won't be able to ski!!! Not quite sure how we will deal with this dilemma yet.

Of course, I would love to do a Harb camp but not sure that will be possible.
absentskier

Postby Bonz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 pm

I wasn't even thinking about costs. Just being able to take 6 weeks off of work is unthinkable to me. I'm taking a full week off to go to Sol Vista, and I can only think of maybe two or three times I've done that (a full week) in my working career of 21 years. I actually lost vacation days this year. We can carry over 20 days, and I didn't use all of mine so I lost them.

Sad, I know.
I'd probably be a little more sane if I had more vacation/holiday.
Enjoy.
Bonz

Postby BigE » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 am

You have vacation days you don't use? What, you own the company?
BigE

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System