Learning PMTS

PMTS Forum

Re: Learning PMTS

Postby BigE » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:54 pm

An excellent idea, though he's over an hour from Collingwood. My kids keep me on the escarpment, and he's north of Barrie.

What I need to do is practice and get my own PMTS green level cert.
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:29 pm

BigE wrote:An excellent idea, though he's over an hour from Collingwood. My kids keep me on the escarpment, and he's north of Barrie.

What I need to do is practice and get my own PMTS green level cert.

An hour or two isn't much, and based on the other thread sounds like he might come out your way if you ask. You will need to do more than just practice on your own to get your green.
Max_501

Postby serious » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:53 pm

BigE,

I skied with icanski at MSLM a couple of years ago (I am the other skier metaphor referred to). It was a great experience and even if you are very familiar with PMTS, it is a great way to get feedback from somebody who knows what to look for. I don't know how much you will get out of it, since it all depends on your skill level.

Maybe one day we'll get together and rip it up a bit. :D
serious

Postby Icanski » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Big E,
I've just gotten some free time to catch up on the forum and happy to see your posts. Thanks Max for the mention. I would be happy to go ski with you this season. I'm in Toronto, too, and would be glad to get some runs in together at Blue or where ever. Send me an email.
cheers,
Icanski
John
Icanski

Postby BigE » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Will do, closer to when the snow flies.
BigE

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 am

Bouncing an old thread that new members should read from the beginning. The books are a gold mine of information.

ibMED wrote:Another factor that sets PMTS apart is that anyone can go read (re-read) the original source material. In many posts and the associated discussion points, I frequently go find the appropriate material in the 3 published books in an effort to determine what the original words tell me. It's enlightening to discover, or perhaps rediscover, whole new understandings. We can point to page and paragraph. A richness of understanding both "the what and the why" can be found reading a couple of pages.
Max_501

Postby BigE » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:17 am

After this past season, I must say that all the understanding in the world makes no difference whatsoever if you don't consciously put forth a concerted effort at doing the movements. I first thought that understanding precedes movement. This is incorrect. Just do the moves. Understanding comes.

PMTS is not like other systems. You do not do a drill and then move on.... you do a drill that activates a movement that you need to make when actually skiing. Your goal is to incorporate that move into your skiing -- unlike TTS where having done the drill, you think you're magically done.

I have to admit, at points, it feels like learning the moves is sort of an "insert tab A into slot B" affair. But, don't despair. If you are sensing that when you are skiing, I suggest you are actively learning something new. That sensation does go away as the novelty of the movements passes, and they start to become part of your skiing.

eg. I spent the entirety of last season on a Green run. This season, I moved on to a blue. This demanded a return of learning focus. The movements learned on the Green were OK, but the Blue showed flaws. The fix? Simply a case of "manning up" and trusting the moves. They work.

I hope to get some video of this to determine how far my perception is from reality. I do have someone that monitors and compares my short turns against videos of short turns by SkierSynergy. Her reports are that the same moves are being used, but with a decreased range of motion. So, I think I am on the right track: man up, do the moves.... Use video to verify.
BigE

Postby Icanski » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Big E,
This has been quite a winter for you it seems.
If you'd like to take some runs next season, give me a call, I'm just down the road.
I bet it makes it difficult to listen to some of the racing coaches now, eh?
regards,
John
IcanSki
Icanski

Postby BigE » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Yes, it's been a real eye opener. I'm far from perfect, but according to my spies, I am a heck of a lot better at it than before and seem to be on the right track.

I would love to meetup at some point next season. It would be the best! If the posse is large enough ( 10 I think ), I can get us some seriously discounted lift tickets.
BigE

Postby akiman911 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 pm

I see youre a long time toronto based pmtser- where do you tend to ski?

get out of ontario this winter?
akiman911

Postby BigE » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Georgian Peaks.

Long time here, but short time actually working at it correctly. You can't cheat and expect to learn it.... I was a cheater. Next season, it's book 1 exercise 1, until perfect. Then exercise 2 until perfect... and so on..... slant board in the fall, when the seasons begin to change.

I am a beginner all over again -- there are holes from the cheating that won't get filled without a "do over".
BigE

Postby akiman911 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:38 am

Right on, Im at alpine ( right beside you) if I ski Ontario-

I look at GP it seems like everything is at least 30 degrees .... must be a little annoying to learn pmts, no?
akiman911

Postby Basil j » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:56 pm

I have been studying the instructor manual for the last 2 months and lays out the sequence for learning in a real nice way. I worked with this material more than anything else this season and I feel like I made greater gains than just by using the first two ACBE books and videos ( which are excellent as well). The manual digs in deeper into the whys and how's of PMTS. Highly recommend for anyone who is a serious student of this program. It's almost too simple, if you just follow the sequences laid out in the order they are laid out in and don't skip. That is the hardest thing to do if you are already an avid skier, but there is no shame in heading over to the greens and mastering movements, because the program is built on the movements-Not drills. When you learn the movements, they become your skiing movements.

I spent some time showing the phantom movements to a good traditional skier friend of mine this season and when he practiced the movements his skiing started to change and improve, but once we got back on the main trails, he went right back to his push off/extend TTS skiing he has used his whole life.He asked" How do you use this drill every time you ski?" I Answer" No this is not a drill, this is the movement I use to start every turn when I ski". Big difference. I feel like My skiing improves every time I ski because I use my time on the snow in a very focused manner. I go out with a game plan. I don't want to keep repeating the same movements over & over that will not lead to better skiing. It's a hard concept to sell to someone who already feels that they are a competent skier, regardless if they are or not.
Basil j

Postby BigE » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:43 pm

akiman911 ,

I have skied Champlain a LOT. It's OK, there are some bits I think are a bit too much for learning, others are challenging, and some perfect. All in all, really the only long run to work at it.

The overall challenge of the hill is likely why GP does not get a lot of corporate events as many that attend those events don't ski. I think the majority of GP members have raced at some level.

As you also may know, it is often grey, windy and icy. It makes it even harder to learn new things. But, when you do, they stick. Provided you have the guts to do new moves when you cannot see anything.

The best learning day of the season was one where we could see just one turn ahead. It stopped you from skiing the whole hill at once. You focused solely on what you were doing. The day after was a bluebird day, and the difficulty was in not reverting to the old moves when the sun came out! The challenge is very mental.

I think the best hill to learn is Mount St. Louis. They have some excellent green runs with a constant but low sloped pitch.
BigE

Postby DougD » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:56 pm

BigE wrote:As you also may know, it is often grey, windy and icy. It makes it even harder to learn new things. But, when you do, they stick. Provided you have the guts to do new moves when you cannot see anything.

The best learning day of the season was one where we could see just one turn ahead. It stopped you from skiing the whole hill at once. You focused solely on what you were doing.

Indeed.

My last day out (at Stowe) was in a Spring blizzard with 30-40mph winds. Visibility was poor and the surface was ever-changing... from 8" of wildly blowing powder to 0" of bare blown off ice, often in mid-turn.

It will come as no surprise to regulars here that, the more purely I used PMTS movements (and exaggerated them, since I'm still learning) the easier it got. Unexpected transitions from snow to ice were managed with a simple (very quick!) foot pullback. Everything else was normal just normal PMTS skiing. This system works in all conditions, including multiple conditions during the same turn!
DougD

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System