I feel sorry for us all

PMTS Forum

I feel sorry for us all

Postby John Mason » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:16 pm

http://forums.epicski.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=49

post in context

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=20522&page=2

Here I thought PMTS was the defining best way to carve turns scientifically arrived at and demonstratable on the slope.

Guess I was wrong.
John Mason

Postby Rusty Guy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:53 pm

I responded to John with the following.

John,

I did not say all.

I said there "are people".

I have no doubt that national demo team members and PSIA level III certs can carve turns.

I will say it once again. I have observed people schooled in PMTS technique, whom I believe will never make the step beyond the "parallel skiing" that you seem to put on a pedestal and enjoy a carved turn.

Look at it this way. PMTS has made a case for a long time bemoaning the detrimental effects of "the wedge". Can I not offer my opinion that PMTS has shortcomings?

Now please be fair and run this over to realskiers and post it there.

And again.....who was the PSIA examiner?
Rusty Guy

Deadend

Postby Harald » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:51 pm

The skiers you are referring to, if they had continued in the PSIA system would never have reached a parallel level. They would be relegated to green slopes with skidded skis and hard edge sets. It?s all relative to where they began and where they entered the PMTS system. PMTS skiers are renegades, out of the PSIA system. They were stuck in dead end patterns. They find some hope and advancement with PMTS that they could not find with the twisting, steering, rotating approaches of PSIA. If they never tip the skis far enough to actually carve a high level turn, so be it, but they advanced with PMTS, where they could not with PSIA.
Harald

Postby *SCSA » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:45 am

Rusty,

I've seen lots of level 3 instructors who'll never be able to follow me in the bumps, trees, or powder. All those years teaching skiers, they still can't rip.

So what's your point?

Quit being a dork.
*SCSA

Postby jclayton » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:45 am

In Johns reference to a post on Epic someone made a comment about ski teaching in Europe and specifically Austria . The general ski teaching in most of these resorts is frankly CRAP . In St. Anton large numbers of basicly unqualified teachers are brought in during the high season to try and keep the large numbers of tourists occupied . The difference between racers and the public in terms of teaching is light years . Ive seen it in Andorra and France as well . Spain is actually making more of an effort than these bastions of skiing trying to overhaul teaching methods .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System