Found the ideal all-round ski.

PMTS Forum

Re: Found the ideal all-round ski.

Postby HighAngles » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 pm

I skied the 173cm at SIA and loved it. I'm about the same size as you BK. I liked the tighter turn radius. It's published as 16m, but run the dimensions through a sidecut calculator and you get a 14.6m ski.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:41 pm

The 182cm felt like a wide Super Shape or what the Head Titan should have been. Head totally blew it with the Titan. It's s stiff board that bucks and kicks on chop or crud and it's heavy and slow side to side.
The 182cm Jam feels like a lively wider Peak 78.
h.harb

Postby BKSquasher » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:37 pm

HighAngles wrote:I skied the 173cm at SIA and loved it. I'm about the same size as you BK. I liked the tighter turn radius. It's published as 16m, but run the dimensions through a sidecut calculator and you get a 14.6m ski.

I would prefer the shorter 173, but will it float me in deep powder?
BKSquasher

Postby HighAngles » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:43 pm

BKSquasher wrote:I would prefer the shorter 173, but will it float me in deep powder?

Totally depends on where you get your powder. With lighter blower stuff like we have in CO (and Utah) I would say no (if you're looking for total float), not really (at least nowhere near like my bigger skis). However, with PMTS I'm learning that I can ski narrower skis really well in fresh snow. So personally I would definitely give the 173 Jam a go in 6-12" of fresh snow. You'll definitely be more down in the snow, but then that's really fun, right?

We only had 4" today at LL, but I was on my 72mm underfoot 164cm Stocklis and had an absolute blast. That wasn't the case before I started doing PMTS and working through all the drills. My releases are really feeling like they're coming around finally. Guess I'll find out for real in about a month at race camp.
HighAngles

Postby Skizoo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:27 am

Harald, how does the Jam compare to the 11/12 Peak 84's that you demoed at SIA?
Skizoo

Postby BKSquasher » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:55 am

HighAngles wrote:
BKSquasher wrote:I would prefer the shorter 173, but will it float me in deep powder?

Totally depends on where you get your powder. With lighter blower stuff like we have in CO (and Utah) I would say no (if you're looking for total float), not really (at least nowhere near like my bigger skis). However, with PMTS I'm learning that I can ski narrower skis really well in fresh snow. So personally I would definitely give the 173 Jam a go in 6-12" of fresh snow. You'll definitely be more down in the snow, but then that's really fun, right?

We only had 4" today at LL, but I was on my 72mm underfoot 164cm Stocklis and had an absolute blast. That wasn't the case before I started doing PMTS and working through all the drills. My releases are really feeling like they're coming around finally. Guess I'll find out for real in about a month at race camp.

Well, I'm in Utah and skiing Alta so I'm hoping for floating or nearly so in "bottomless" powder, although it sure gets skied off quickly here. I haven't had the pleasure to try the really deep stuff yet as I'm looking for a skiing buddy to do it with. I've skied 6"+ broken up powder with my SSs and they handled that amazingly well. No rush on the new skis, I just got the wantsies. I look forward to skiing with you (and of course Harald, Diana and all) at the race camp.
Bert
BKSquasher

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 am

Harald, how does the Jam compare to the 11/12 Peak 84's that you demoed at SIA?

Hard to say, as I skied totally different snow on each. The Jam is wider at the tip and tail, so it will float and ski more like a shaped ski in Powder. I was surprised how well it tipped on packed snow, it was easier to carve than the Titan and the Elan Apex, which is an 88cm ski. I'll probably be able to test them side buy side, after I return from Europe.
h.harb

Postby marsound » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Sounds like a good (minimalist?) quiver would be an Icon TT 80, IM/Peak 78, and Jam. For me - 165-170lbs, 5'11" - lengths of 170, 171, 182, respectively.

Or is there too much overlap between the Jam and Peak? Needing only two skis would be nice :)
marsound

Postby JMD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I am also interested in the reviews and comparisons of the Movement Jam to other PMTS standards. Would this be a reasonable replacement of the Head im78 in Colorado? Also is the 10/11 Movement Jam (available at discounted year end prices ) the same ski as next years 11/12 Jam except for the change of top skin?
JMD

Postby HighAngles » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

This season's Jam is identical to next season's except for the top sheet.

I believe that the Jam is a beefier more powerful feeling ski than either the 78 or the 84, but everyone's got their opinions. :wink:
HighAngles

Postby tmeister » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:07 am

Harald,
It is great to see that you and some of the others on this forum also discovered this ski at SIA. I really liked Movements better than anything else I tried and so we are bringing them in to our shop in Dillon. Last year when I talked with you at SIA, we were both very disappointed or frustrated (just like I am with typical ski instruction, which is why I am here) with the choices for an every day type of all mountain ski, one that fits the usual conditions here in Summit County. I have a harder time trying skis as I focus on telemark and AT and demoing teles is tough since so few companies have skis mounted with the bindings. When I got back from the demo raving about Movement, the rest of the crew was pretty skeptical because they all think I have just a racing background and only like those type of skis. They are partially right. I love skiing GS race skis on hard snow, my every day ski is no longer made because it had too small a waist and was too stiff for most skiers. I started as a backcountry skier before I ever got into racing having done things like a 3-pin traverse and summit of Denali and numerous trips into the Gore before it became fashionable, so I feel pretty well rounded in the different skis and what works for the various skiers. With the staff skepticism, I set up a day at the Basin with Jonathan of Movement for them to test the skis. The Jam was absolutely buttery smooth and the other skis were also great. Every employee wanted to go home with a pair of their skis. That says a lot. So if people want those skis, we will be carrying them at Wilderness Sports and I would be happy to help you.
As an aside, here is a nice article in todays Daily on one of my young athletes. http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2011 ... ofile=1055
T
tmeister

Postby nc » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:39 pm

2 questions for Harb and other PMTS experts,

[1] what is the preferred PMTS method of mounting bindings? ball of foot on center of running surface? or something else?

[2] Is the binding mount point of the 182cm jam correct? Any adjustment (forward or backward) from manufacturer position is required?
nc

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 am

I put a Speed Rail on the skis, so I can switch positions quickly on the slopes.
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:20 am

h.harb wrote:I put a Speed Rail on the skis, so I can switch positions quickly on the slopes.

Oh so that's what REALLY happened at Tux. :mrgreen:
geoffda

Postby nc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 am

h.harb wrote:I put a Speed Rail on the skis, so I can switch positions quickly on the slopes.

Thnaks for your answer. Unfortunately, I have purchased the Rossignol turntable bindings already, so Tyrolia speed rail is not an option for me.
nc

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System