Ski theft: John Mason

PMTS Forum

Ski theft: John Mason

Postby mkgil » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:41 am

John, I'm really sorry about your skis. Since ski theft is a growing problem, I'm curious, did the thieves cut through a cable lock to get your skis?

What do the rest of you do to protect your skis other than using the ski corral?

BTW, John, I'd really apprecitate your take on how the B5s skied in whatever conditions you had them in before the %*@s got to them.

Michael
mkgil

and now the rest of the story

Postby John Mason » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:22 pm

well - now the rest of the story

I had bought a pair of Head XRC 1100 SW's that morning (the world cup constructed ones). So I had both my Metrons and the Head's there. I skied on the heads and locked up the Metrons. At the end of the day I walked the heads back to the room figuring I'd bring the Metron's back after dinner which was back by the racks. After dinner the skis were gone.

I thus, increased my risk be leaving them after 5 out there when it gets dark and all the people disappear. I should have just gone back and got them.

Needless to say, the next ski day I was looking at the racks and the skis people had on. Never saw another pair of Metron B5's (and they are orange and silver so stick out). Their guest services said they were probably already getting set up to be sold in Breckenridge.

The B5's were fun, but for packed powder the 1100xrc's were much more fun. A ski like the B5's would work great on crud as even on the packed powder they rode very high. Head is comming out with a "short fat salom style ski" in January. I'll probably wait at this point to see what the head offering is like before I replace my "fat" category of ski.

Oh, I don't think I answered your question. They were locked up with one of the standard cable locks. Last year my son's lock jammed and we borrowed a 8 inch long wire cutter from the shop to get them free. It was not hard. A cable lock is just to stop the walk and grabbers. In the more deserted evening hours its no protection at all. I was also told by guest services whatever the "hot" ski of the year seems to be targeted each year.
John Mason

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System