Its all about the movements

PMTS Forum

Its all about the movements

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:31 pm

PMTS is about learning a specific set of movements that will take you to expert skiing. The drills teach you these movements. As you are working on the drills remember "It's all about the movements!" Here is a post from last year. Heluva and I have never met and we are skiing very different skis in very different conditions...

HeluvaSkier wrote:
Max_501 wrote:Using the same movements is the key to skiing all over the mountain. Compare the following pics of two different skiers using PMTS movements on two very different snow surfaces and very different skis:

Heluva on Fischer GS race skis (183cm, 27.6m radius).

When Max first showed me this, I thought it was pretty incredible. The images above are two skiers from very different backgrounds who have never skied together using the exact same movements on totally different types of terrain. The beauty of PMTS is that the roles (terrain) could be reversed with Max on a black groomer and me in bowl with crappy wind-packed snow and we would still demonstrate the same movements and likely the images in the high-c would look exactly the same as they do now. I think that says a lot for PMTS training.
Max_501

Re: Its all about the movements

Postby BigE » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 pm

What is great is the you guys have independently realized and independently learned to ski with these movements.

What is sad is, that the rest of the world is so far back from the realization that since movements produce outcomes, movements should be taught.

If I had a dime for everytime I've heard a coach say "more movement" I'd be very wealthy.

If I had a thousand dollars for everytime I've heard a coach say "more tipping with the inside foot", I'd be broke.

When are they going to get it? TEACH SKIING MOVEMENTS!
BigE

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm still amazed at the similarities between those two photos. The best part is that it is not a "fluke". Those photos are identical, not by accident, but by design because Max and I ski with the same exact movements - even though we have never met and ski on opposite sides of the country on VERY different snow conditions.

In case you were still unsure, PMTS works.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10 pm

I have the same experience when I ski with a PMTS taught, PSIA examiners or trainers. This happened yesterday. I had 4 PSIA trainers in my group. One of the trainers here in Wisconsin, followed me down the run, he's a long time PMTS follower, ( I trained him in PMTS about 10 years ago) we were being videoed. I see him for about 5 hours every year, these last 7 years. However he keeps working with what he sees in the videos and books. When we watched the video in slow and stop, the movements were almost identical. My angles were bigger and my turns finished tighter, rounder, but the body and feet were doing the same thing. The examiners who had no PMTS background, and worked only with PSIA stuff, were in a different skiing world. There was little or no counter A or CB, little or no flexing and (mostly extension), barely enough angles to hold an edge.

Very low dynamics, passive skiing, probably waiting for the guiding to kick in. There is a huge difference between PMTS skiing and other skiing. It was never more obvious than yesterday on the slope where the rubber hits the road.
h.harb

Postby sorinj » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Could someone explain what happens in the two pics above here wrt fore/aft balance and hips position? Where are the hips of the skiers in relation to the feet?
sorinj

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:34 pm

You have to be able to see the body from the side to tell whether or not the skiers is forward back or middle.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:31 pm

sorinj wrote:Could someone explain what happens in the two pics above here wrt fore/aft balance and hips position? Where are the hips of the skiers in relation to the feet?

HH gave you the most important answer. I''ll just add that both of us are in the high C above the apex. Too early for full outside leg extension.
Max_501

Postby Max_501 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Bumping this one for pre-season thinking. As HH teaches us..."Master the movements and we can ski all over the mountain". It really is that simple.
Max_501

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System