Software for video analysis

PMTS Forum

Software for video analysis

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:51 am

Here is a quote from Comparison of Technique thread. Since this is a logically different subject I am posting it separately.
The original clip was uncompressed AVI downloaded from a digital vid camera. The smaller WMV clip was done in Windows movie maker (see below).

A very common piece of software is V1. It's very good software, but it's about $1000

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/ALL/AS_Pro.asp

Sports Motion has very good software that is used for golf, but can be used for anything (the menus always refer to golf by default) for about $400 for two liscences. I use this.

http://www.sportsmotion.com/

Both of these allow you to slow things down, calculate angles, draw on the film images, overlay and compare two videos, and capture stills from the videos, etc.

A very easy thing to do is download clips into Windows movie maker. I do this all the time. It's included in windows XP. It will allow you to go frame by frame steps and pause in still. It also allows you to edit and export in different formats.

However, Win movie maker does not do slow motion, or allow you to capture stills -- even by trying a screen capture (Alt & Print screen). Also the video windwo is a little small, but Hey, it's free with Windows.

Hope this helps.

I have found that PrintScreen button works with Windows Movie Maker on my computer. Maybe some environment difference in my vs. Jay computer.

There is a free download from Sun called Java Media Framework (JMF).
JMF is a very old Sun product (Sun does not maintain it much) and it is really a programming environment for working with media files, media streams, and such. I used to program in it little some 3 years ago and do not remember much. On windows JMF is implemented on top of DirectX 8, but it works if DirectX 9 is installed.

JMF comes with pre-programmed application called JMF Studio. JMF Studio includes options for viewing multimedia files, video files have "Next", and "Previous" frame options.
You can resize your video to your liking, you can also take snapshots.
Print Screen works with it as well.

What does not work: Shapshots do not give option for saving as JPEG/Bitmap/GIF/etc.. file. You have to use Print Screen or program in Java to write your own Video Analysis application.
There is not slow motion mode (you would have to program this in Java as well), only next/previous frame and play.

I also like Quicktime Player from Apple (Free and works on Windows).

Hope this helps. If you know other not expensive or FREE program which is good, please write in this tread.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby skiman123321 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:12 am

http://www.irfanview.com/

Here is a free program that will extract indivdual frames in a BMP format and also alow slow motion viewing.
skiman123321

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System