tipping muscles

PMTS Forum

Re: tipping muscles

Postby doc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:29 am

Anyone whose fibula rotates in his hip joint is too messed up anatomically to stand, much less ski.
doc

Postby h.harb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 am

There is nothing worst than someone who doesn't have the knowledge throwing around words incorrectly. You can see how inversion and eversion can be mixed up, but not knowing where the major bones connect is weak.
h.harb

Postby cheesehead » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 am

h.harb wrote:It gets more involved then that, because you are asking your trust mechanism to let go. That can only happen if your inner ear balance mech is telling you, you are OK! ....

As in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, on the cover (of the Guide that is in the story) is the button labelled "Don't Panic"
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby h.harb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Anyone whose fibula rotates in his hip joint is too messed up anatomically to stand, much less ski.

I guess it depends on who's galaxy you are on! Is Canada a Galaxy?
h.harb

Postby nickia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Is it wrong if my anterior muscles are burning after 10-15 slow short turns?

I never had this burning sensation until today where I started to focus on keeping the uphill ski on LTE by holding uphill leg tipping tension while tipping the free foot to LTE.

I also practiced Diana's brush turn video where one of the exercises is to do a o frame side slip.

I find that holding the uphill ski on LTE takes a lot of muscular effort.

Am I doing it wrong or my tipping muscle is just under-utilized?
nickia

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 am

Very hard to know for sure without video. Having said that one fallacy about PMTS that seems to be perpetuated is that when you ski with PMTS it's effortless. The reality is that when you ski with correct PMTS movements you are engaging and using large numbers of muscles and you are working them hard. Just maxing out CA at the end of every arc requires serious effort and engages the entire core area and taxes it significantly. So yes the effort involved in tipping, progressively tipping more throughout the arc requires muscular effort that will feel quite significant especially if you aren't used to it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby l2ski » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 am

nickia wrote:Is it wrong if my anterior muscles are burning after 10-15 slow short turns?

I never had this burning sensation until today where I started to focus on keeping the uphill ski on LTE by holding uphill leg tipping tension while tipping the free foot to LTE.

I also practiced Diana's brush turn video where one of the exercises is to do a o frame side slip.

I find that holding the uphill ski on LTE takes a lot of muscular effort.

Am I doing it wrong or my tipping muscle is just under-utilized?

I'm also using that video to work on the release.
I'm finding that it takes muscular effort as well, probably because I am not used to doing it.
It also takes a lot of mental focus to do it in linked turns once I start flexing
the stance leg and actively flatten the stance ski and then continue tipping to LTE.
But it works and balance transfer happens naturally to the uphill ski when the hips
move across and move into the ideal position.
l2ski

Postby nickia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 pm

jbotti wrote:Very hard to know for sure without video. Having said that one fallacy about PMTS that seems to be perpetuated is that when you ski with PMTS it's effortless. The reality is that when you ski with correct PMTS movements you are engaging and using large numbers of muscles and you are working them hard. Just maxing out CA at the end of every arc requires serious effort and engages the entire core area and taxes it significantly. So yes the effort involved in tipping, progressively tipping more throughout the arc requires muscular effort that will feel quite significant especially if you aren't used to it.

Thanks jbotti. My legs have definitely gotten much bigger compare to pre-season :lol:
nickia

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System