CA and CB does it come from the hip or the upper body?

PMTS Forum

Re: CA and CB does it come from the hip or the upper body?

Postby kirtland » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 am

Harald,
You have to be very careful how you compare and use World Cup skiers in photos or video (one frame especially) for defining a use of counteracting based on their movements and positions, for your own needs. These are super athletes and what is needed and when it is used by them, for CA, is often totally different from the timing and edge application for and by recreational skiers.

Capice. That is why I followed your example, of using World Cup Skiers to illustrate something for discussion.And stated the caveat
If you watch them in this race (Yesterdays GS) in slow motion, I think, you'll see how much quicker Carlo and Didier come back to square, when they do have significant counter.
I compared skiers of similar strength and ability in the same race, on the same course, although I used the Cuche example in a different turn, because it was a so much clearer picture. It allowed me to use people we could exclude a lot of unknowns from and compare the known, that they are skiers that are competitive equals, with similar strength, skills, age, and ability. To try to understand why they ski distinctively different.
Although they ski at a completely different level than recreational skiers. I see the same range variation in recreational skiers that ski the same terrain, with the same competence. Some people can bank on steep ice and be completely solid and others counteract counter balance and slide. So to me it is an intriguing puzzle.
As for
Cuche's needs for CA at 70mph maybe be a topic for another time, but it is not relevant for this discussion.
This is not an example of Cuche at 70 mph it is an example of Cuche on a flatter portion of a GS course at much slower speeds.
I don't know what you are inferring here, you will have to be specific if you expect me to understand.
Too many assumptions are made in the previous posts,
I don't know what you think I was assuming, I was making an observation on what I saw. And you agreed.
Cuche never rotates, (well almost never), but he never seems to counteract as much as Vonn, Hirscher or Ligety.

And you finally answered why you think there is a difference.
If you don't rotate and you have mid body section and core strength like Cuche, the counter acting from side to side in speed events is much more gradual and minimized
and
His legs are stumps and his rear end is twice as wide as mine. And you can't get much flexibility out of that set up.

You didn't answer the question about how much you think alignment effects counteracting though.
Kirt
kirtland

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:12 pm

kirtland wrote:Some people can bank on steep ice and be completely solid and others counteract counter balance and slide. So to me it is an intriguing puzzle.

You know recreational skiers that can bank on steep ice and be completely solid?
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:50 pm

For all those who don't understand how to interpret WC skiing and should probably refrain from using world cup examples as a basis for their assumptions until they do. This is for you, happy valentine.

Alignment is so individual I have to take it case by case. But generally, knock kneed skiers are usually (but not always) more flexible, but they have to use more counteracting to reduce the inward rotation of their knock-kneed leg. When you are too Knock-kneed, it means you use more femur rotation to the inside, CA holds that back.

However, Hirscher, Herbst, even Benni, and all other slalom skiers need and use lots of CA, they are set up totally bowlegged and yet still use tons of counteracting. So the conclusion is, in tight turns close together, CA has to be used to control rotational forces, developed by the inherent actions, needed to perform in this event. These guys use the heck out of their feet and they have incredible feet, I think you discount or are unaware of this important concept.

Now in real life, in tight round close together turns, more counter is beneficial, because you can hold the ski on edge and make it grip to get a real release. That is PMTS, you can deviate from PMTS and use many other forms of ski technique that involve no or less counteracting, but justifying that you need less CA, can only be based on performance, (video) not assumptions or feel. A sure sign that a skier is compensating for not CA the hips, is lots of tip lead. That unfortunately doesn't act as an effective substitute for the right way to CA.

In skiing with more connected turns closer together like slalom, you have to use more counteracting.

In order to use less CA, if you want to use Cuche here it’s OK, but it has more to do with the "strength of your feet, and tipping ability of the feet to hold the edge, and less to do with whether or not you are bow legged. Well set up skiers who are toward bowlegged, all CA in slalom. And no knocked knee skiers are alive and skiing on the world cup, without lots of CA.

That's why I don't use skiers like Cuche, even in GS, they are skiing 50 mph at times and Cuche doesn't do as well in the tight GS courses. He does well in the longer stretched out courses and especially when it's a Swiss coach who sets.

The reason I stated and explained in depth, in my previous post to you, why the Cuche type skiers don't have relevance, for this discussion, is because some people will often use based on, "the less counter is good" reasoning, as a way out, to stop attempting CA or not teaching it at all. The excuse, I want to avoid on this forum is,
That it is, now OK, to no longer work on counteracting, because Cuche doesn't use or need it.
However he does use it, and I'd guess you need to use it more than he does. I'm sure your feet are not as strong as Cuche's feet.

That's how these things get started and work there way into skiing systems and people's understanding. Look at PSIA and CSIA they think that square and pole plant shoulder rotation are OK. Check the other thread to discover how well those movements work for that guy. We teach the opposite, so I'm drilling this point, to make sure this doesn't happen here. Don't you see I'm trying to keep the thinking here clear and from going in the wrong direct?

I don't think I left any confusion about where PMTS stands in these examples.

Many people would like to use examples like yours and justify "waist steering" for instance. In skiing there is probably a contradiction for every technical statement, but there are always logical reasons for those contradictions. Many people are drawn blindly and sucked in toward the wrong interpretations of skiing. Not here!

So that must be why, with the corrected alignment, working at countering less, feels much more stable and balanced to me now.
Where did I pull out this statement and this assumption?

This statement is an assumption and can be misleading and can sound like justifying, for using less counter. It also “assumes” you are already using too much counter, how do you know? It is precisely these types of statements that drive me crazy.

Especially, notice the word "feel", in that statement, I think there are many gigabytes on this forum devoted to how your own "feelings" are the worst way by which, you can judge your own skiing performance.

That is why I require relevance and accuracy to back up wide sweeping statements. The mini photo of Janka only tells us his hands are together, his shoulders are still countered, but it's very hard to see in that photo. Your statements about Jancka and Cuche coming square sooner or faster require much more supporting evidence, before I buy into that statement as well.

Although for any skier, who is using extension, you don't need as much CA, if you are using an extension rather than a retraction, to get to transition. If you end a turn square in recreational skiing, you are forced into an extension to get out of a turn, however this is not a release. If you are a world cup level skier, skilled and gifted, with the feet and ankles of that quality, you may not need to use or hold CA as much, in speed events, because there is more time between the gates, to extend. And speed events are not what we do in recreational skiing, and it's not PMTS. So therefore, they have little relevance to everyday skiers.

Bottom line is, bring video, without it, you are just going round in circles.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:34 am

You know recreational skiers that can bank on steep ice and be completely solid?

Ahh, Ahh, let me think, ahh, None, not, nada!
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 am

Some people can bank on steep ice and be completely solid and others counteract counter balance and slide. So to me it is an intriguing puzzle.

No recreational skier I know or see on the slopes, can bank on steep ice and hold an edge. Most professional skiers can't do that. If I went out tomorrow, I couldn't do it with banking or inclination. This takes practice and many days of training, serious training, with complete commitment few skiers can understand.

If you see recreational skiers who can CA and are skidding, it is likely they have improper boot set ups or don't know how to use their feet to tip their skis and hold them tipped. It's hard enough to hold on ice with good technique, why argue that less CA will be the solution. Look closely at the skier in the montage I put up on the other thread. He's skidding, he's supposed to know how to do this without skidding. This is not a steep icy slope. But he's not holding CA either.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:39 am

h.harb wrote:No recreational skier I know or see on the slopes, can bank on steep ice and hold an edge. Most professional skiers can't do that. If I went out tomorrow, I couldn't do it with banking or inclination. This takes practice and many days of training, serious training, with complete commitment few skiers can understand.

One important thing to note here is that at some point in nearly every turn - even at the WC level - even if there is some inclination present early in the turn - the skier is still accessing more CA and CB than any recreational skier has access to. Observing some of Hischer's SL skiing is evidence of that. You can't ski at that level without CA and CB. The balance required as well as the use and mobility of the ankle joint is unfathomable to most recreational skiers.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Proper inclination or natural inclination is a result of a release from a high energy turn, re-establishing CA and CB after such a release is the hard part. What is wrong about the understanding of inclination is, that trying to produce it artificially will ruin your skiing and your progress.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System