World Cup, Retraction or flexing to release!

PMTS Forum

Re: World Cup, Retraction or flexing to release!

Postby grambo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Who's Janka?
grambo

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Study this photo, look at how folded his inside leg is, and how tipped that ski is. If you don't start this at the top of the arc, in the High "C", you never have time to get it done. The outside leg's angle depends on how much you comment with the inside leg tipping and flexing. That is what the focus should be, none of the extension BS you hear from the supposed, "self proclaimed" coaches out there.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:22 pm

There was much talk about pole plant or tap, and counter acting, at the last camp. Look at his inside arm and shoulder. You don't need an outside arm pole swing if you prepare with the CA move. Ligety here just has to tap the pole tip and he's into the next arc. If you study the HH, "No swing pole tap" in the new "Performance Free Skiing", DVD, it's all in there.

Head skis are ruling!
h.harb

Postby grambo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:03 am

h.harb wrote:Image

Study this photo, look at how folded his inside leg is, and how tipped that ski is. If you don't start this at the top of the arc, in the High "C", you never have time to get it done. The outside leg's angle depends on how much you comment with the inside leg tipping and flexing. That is what the focus should be, none of the extension BS you hear from the supposed, "self proclaimed" coaches out there.

I started noticing in my recent gs/sl camp what you described as needing to get the old stance ski out of the way so the new stance ski can be tipped. I focused on lighting, tipping and holding it back and also delaying tipping the new stance ski. All of this helped very much and as I'm improving, I'm definitely gaining a deeper and clearer understanding of the Essentials. Thank you PMTS. :wink:
grambo

Postby gaku » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:10 am

h.harb wrote:If we look at the reality of what happens when retraction is used it
becomes even more clear that it is a necessity. You can only retract
as much as Hirscher if you have a loaded ski with huge forces.

If one has trouble staying at terminal velocity at steep pitches, and have trouble generating rebound or letting pressure come at shallow hills, is that a sign of flexion issues (ie. too quick at steeps, too slow at shallow parts), or a sign that there isn't enough continuous, progressive tipping occuring?

At first I thought I was getting thrown off balance at steeps because my CA and retraction "accuracy" wasn't good enough to handle the forces, but now - realising I tend to extend the outside leg at shallow hills in the High C to get pressure for the release, I'm wondering if it's lack of tipping that is causing issues at both these extremes on the steep-medium-shallow spectrum? The only time I manage to maintain terminal velocity and linked turns is at medium hills, where I'm assuming compensations have easier to creep in than on shallow (balance more difficult) and steep (quick coordination, force management more difficult) terrain.
gaku

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:08 am

gaku wrote:
If one has trouble staying at terminal velocity at steep pitches, and have trouble generating rebound or letting pressure come at shallow hills, is that a sign of flexion issues (ie. too quick at steeps, too slow at shallow parts), or a sign that there isn't enough continuous, progressive tipping occuring?

At first I thought I was getting thrown off balance at steeps because my CA and retraction "accuracy" wasn't good enough to handle the forces, but now - realising I tend to extend the outside leg at shallow hills in the High C to get pressure for the release, I'm wondering if it's lack of tipping that is causing issues at both these extremes on the steep-medium-shallow spectrum? The only time I manage to maintain terminal velocity and linked turns is at medium hills, where I'm assuming compensations have easier to creep in than on shallow (balance more difficult) and steep (quick coordination, force management more difficult) terrain.

It is impossible to diagnose what is happening in your skiing from a verbal description (its not just you its everyone). In many instances what you think you are doing is different than what movements are actually occurring. Even an accurate description is not enough to diagnose and fix issues. The only way is to shoot and post video. If you do this and the video is of good enough quality so that your skiing can be seen and analyzed, you will get back feedback on what is occurring and on how to advance. Without it any commentary is pure speculation and not of any value or service.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:09 pm

jbotti wrote:It is impossible to diagnose what is happening in your skiing from a verbal description (its not just you its everyone). In many instances what you think you are doing is different than what movements are actually occurring. Even an accurate description is not enough to diagnose and fix issues. The only way is to shoot and post video. If you do this and the video is of good enough quality so that your skiing can be seen and analyzed, you will get back feedback on what is occurring and on how to advance. Without it any commentary is pure speculation and not of any value or service.

Very well said! Video is key for diagnosing issues with the movements or setup.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System