Skier levels and who is an expert!!

PMTS Forum

Postby BigE » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:40 am

Glucosamine Sulphate works! Very very well. It's supposed to be better with Chondoritin, but that can upset some peoples stomachs. And the mixture is WAY more expensive that GS alone.
BigE

Postby Thor » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:31 am

Here is another nice topic: it starts with a personal list of skier levels of ability and ends up with glucosamine sulphate (with or without chondoritin).. What was one supposed to learn from all these posts? You've got me confused. Do I need to ski like Bode to be an expert? But he is not PMTS, is he? Do I need to take glucosamine? Right now you are lucky because there are still too few. of you here. But give it time and another epicski will be born. There 99% of posters are amazing skiers .. if only in their dreams .. and if you ask for advice they tell you everything and its exact opposite. You will soon be going down the same way, unfortunately. That is unless you make some sense and stop discussing about the sex of angels. Why not posting videos and discussing those for a change? I am here to learn, teach me something.
Thor

Postby jclayton » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:10 am

Thor,
thanks to Glucosamine Sulphate ( and some heavy gym work ) my knees are better than they were 10 yrs ago . Information worth passing on to fellow skiers wouldn't you say ? I can now " thunder " down the slopes just like you .

It's human to make lists and it's human to go off on tangents , I can't see this going the way of Epic we have a more common , coherent language here IMHO .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:46 am

jclayton, I am not criticising Glucosamine Sulphate per se. Just all at sudden one goes from reading confusing lists to learn about glucosamine to help less young skiers' knees. I think that a new post would have been more useful. Now, let's say I am 50 and could benefit from taking glucosamine. How would I know where to find this information if the topic is buried among lists of skier ability levels?

It is how the problem began on Episki. Talking about skiing became more important than skiing itself. Skiing is hard, talking is cheap and using the mouth one can ski any slope even those that never existed.

I am not concerned about you or some of the other guys. I am concerned about the anonimous posts (like mine) and when there will be more and more people here. Unless HH checks every message before posting, which BTW, is never very popular on any forum I entered, I think this forum will head down the route followed by Epicski. Good people are found there too, but they are surrounded by a lot of people who just make noise.

That's called Hijacking a thread

Postby John Mason » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:57 am

yep - this thread has been hijacked.

Bad forum etiquette.
John Mason

Postby Thor » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:27 am

So, was it decided that there is no need to use classifications or compile rankings of skiers? Good. I feel like commending you all for that.
Thor

Postby Pierre » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:17 am

A guest said:
>>>That's the problem Harald. I want to be a black level skier. I bought your books, your videos, followed this forum, even almost planned to take a camp with you (which on my budget is not an easy thing to get done). I did not expect you to make me the best skier on the mountain, just to help me fulfill my dream, i.e. to ski double black diamond terrain<<

If you are a black skier by Haralds definition you likey are the best skier on the mountain at many resorts on any given day.

Skiing with one of Harald's experts can be a humbling experience. A black skier skiing with another black skier/instructor to pick apart their skiing is a humbing experience. I am a black skier and will never climb above it. The calendar says so.

When I look at the certification standards for PMTS instructors, I clearly see that Harald is consistent here. If you want to be an expert you will have to go look on the board of catagories for many ski schools. They will list their top lessons as experts. The only time I have ever been an expert at skiing was prior to becoming an instructor.

The terrain that Harald is using is not the terrain the can be skied comfortably by the skier in question its the terrain in which the skier in question is making all the expert movement pattern 97% of the time.

Want to be a black skier? Can you make round turns without rotary and checking using smooth continuous expert movements down the lift serviced double black terrain found in our western resorts in all but the worst snow conditions 97% of the time? Can you do it in the bump and tight trees on double black terrain? If not, NO black sticker. You think about how lofty that is. I know a lot of level III's that can do that on blue terrain and easy black terrain but not in double black territory.

Harald's black catagory indeed makes you the best on the mountain if there are no elite level skiers there.

Harald's right Anyone can be an Expert (ski with expert movements) at some level of terrain.
Pierre

Postby chezewyz » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:28 am

Anonymous wrote:It is how the problem began on Episki. Talking about skiing became more important than skiing itself. Skiing is hard, talking is cheap and using the mouth one can ski any slope even those that never existed.

I am not concerned about you or some of the other guys. I am concerned about the anonimous posts (like mine) and when there will be more and more people here. Unless HH checks every message before posting, which BTW, is never very popular on any forum I entered, I think this forum will head down the route followed by Epicski. Good people are found there too, but they are surrounded by a lot of people who just make noise.

what exactly is the "problem" on EpicSki.com? I've never seen too many "problems" at the site, I've been there for several years.

and, I notice that many EpicSki members also participate in here.

please describe the "problem", won't you?
chezewyz

HAHAHA

Postby Cleophus » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:59 pm

You guys are getting into a tizzy like a bunch of little girls.

You are WAY TOO caught up in technique. Skiing IS NOT ABOUT a specific technique. There are no time bonuses for really pretty turns. The bottom line, is can you ski ugly terrain, in ugly conditions without killing yourself in a reasonable time?

Expert on blue because of technique? Get real.
Cleophus

Who need to get real?

Postby Eddy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:32 pm

The getting real part will become very evident to you when your, ?it doesn?t matter attitude?, gets you in trouble in real serious conditions. The best extreme skiers are all experts on Blue and Black, they have had years of formal technique training, that?s why they are the best, Chris Davenport, Jeremy Nobus etc.

If you think you can ski without clean technique in serious conditions the only person you are fooling is yourself.
Eddy

Postby Cleophus » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:22 pm

That isn't what I am saying.

What I am saying is that he isn't making a distinction between an expert skier, and an expert in his favorite technique/system.

There are many ways to skin a cat. This is true of skiing just like anything else.
Cleophus

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:02 pm

That being said, the PMTS learning system seems to me a good one. But just like anything else, if it is to be useful it must evolve. Somewhere out there, there is a kid who is skiing in a manner that isn't PMTS and you know what? It's better. We just don't know who that kid is yet.

Postby Eddy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:36 pm

Sorry pal, that won't happen with PMTS, as the body and physics of skiing won't change that much. What will change are the old systems like the traditional national systems from Austria, France and USA. The PMTS system is a universal system based on free body movements and biomechanics, not national pride.

Unless the skis change completely, more than they did this last time, and our bodies change completely, PMTS will be the system.

I?ve been around since the seventies in skiing and the truly great skiers like Stenmark Klammer, and Tomba, always used PMTS. Harb just boiled it down with his uncanny ability to understand skiing and human movement. He brought it to the regular skier.

If you watch the great skiers of the day Palander, Rahlves, Kostelic they all us PMTS, it hasn?t changed that much since the Stenmark days. Even Bode on his good days is the perfect poster child for PMTS.
Eddy

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:23 pm

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. If what you say is true, then skiing will be just about the ONLY discipline that works that way. I just don't buy it. Time will tell, though.

Postby Eddy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:26 pm

Where are your demonstrations of sports that have changed competely because of technique? It has been soley due to equipment example: tennis, golf, baseball etc. The swings have not changed that much, if they were taught properly from the beginning. Skiing is the only sport until PMTS, where the teaching technique is totally incorrect.
Eddy

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System