I've switched resorts

PMTS Forum

I've switched resorts

Postby Pierre » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:32 am

I have switched from teaching at a resort that is very very wedge turn oriented to a resort that is exclusively direct parallel. Its much more in line with my thinking :D
Pierre

Hi Pierre

Postby John Mason » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:24 am

What are the names of the from and to?

Is the DTP method PMTS or some other type?

Thx!
John Mason

Postby Pierre » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:11 am

I have moved from Boston Mills/Brandywine to Snow Trails. I have no bridges to burn with Boston Mills/Brandywine and my dicision to switch has nothing to do with anything that Boston Mills/Brandywine did. Its just a better fit for me at Snow Trails this year.

Snow Trails does not use PMTS pere se as PMTS is a trademark system. There are probably marketing advantages to doing so but Snow Trails is a small resort without much draw other than its current customers. That has to be weighed against the cost of the PMTS system.

At this point I might get certified in PMTS as I am one of the trainers there.
Pierre

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:13 am

Pierre wrote:At this point I might get certified in PMTS as I am one of the trainers there.

I think I've seen it all now... :shock:

Postby Pierre » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:24 am

Anonymous wrote:
Pierre wrote:At this point I might get certified in PMTS as I am one of the trainers there.

I think I've seen it all now... :shock:
What is this "guest" crap. I don't know who I am being blindsided by therefore I don't know how to react.
Pierre

Postby Ott Gangl » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:41 pm

Hey Pierre, you did it. We'll miss you or maybe not if you do your free skiing at Boston Mills. BTW, we have dicided for sure to do the Erie Canal from Bufallo to either Syracuse, or Albany, depending how much fun we have undeway. You mentioned that you wanted to do it with us in your boat, if so, I'll miss you in the Winter but see you in the Summer.

....Ott

P.S.. the 'guest' shows up when someone forgets to sign in or chooses not to sign in.
Ott Gangl

Pierre - I'll come visit

Postby John Mason » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:18 pm

Your not that far out of the way. When do they open?
John Mason

Telemark and PMTS

Postby skier_j » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:35 pm

I'd be interested in how---if it does at all--- do PMTS and telemark fit together.

Pierre, as I recall, you've been free heeling for awhile now---or am I confusing you with another?

In any event---question still stands.
Whee!
skier_j

Even freeheelers can teach alpine

Postby John Mason » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:39 pm

Pierre, as a "freeheeler" can still teach alpine. Probably most of the students are paying for alpine instruction.

Ott - is boston mills your home area?
John Mason

Postby Ott Gangl » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:13 pm

Yes, John, 35 minutes from my house. Pierre taught mostly at Brandywine, an area 2 miles from B/M and belonging to the same owners and same tickets are good, but on Tuesdays he would teach at Boston Mills. He skis on telemark skis but also does alpine, especially moguls by just keeping his heels down. I've chased him down the hill many times, and we'll miss him.

....Ott
Ott Gangl

Re: Telemark and PMTS

Postby Pierre » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:15 pm

skier_j wrote:I'd be interested in how---if it does at all--- do PMTS and telemark fit together.

Pierre, as I recall, you've been free heeling for awhile now---or am I confusing you with another?

In any event---question still stands.
No confusion, I started free heeling in 1979.

Telemark and PMTS are not incompatable with one another. You have all the alpine turns available, plus some turns unique to free heel. In the alpine mode, the movement are no different. In the telemark mode the only difference is the inside ski is back instead of forward. The movements are the same. The big difference is in the lack bility to rock onto the balls of you're feet or pressure the cuff of the boot.

This lack of ability to move forward onto the balls of you're feet does cause some problems. You can consciously dorsiflex the ankles and extend the knees to move you're center of mass forward but you have no ability to pressure the tongue of you're boots because you're heels are not hooked down. That somewhat limits use of the hamstrings.

To compensate, I have mounted my bindings forward of where an alpine mount would be located and I need more patience at the turn initiation. Even so, in quick short radius turns, its almost unavoidable to keep from adding just enough rotation to get the tips to engage. This effect becomes quite noticable in low energy quick round short radius turns. Maybe Harald has some suggestions.

Another problem is demonstrating movements to a student. Something like the Phantom Move requires and instructor to exaggerate movements in order to show a student. The free heel does not allow you as much freedom to move out of you're balance zone. Students can miss the visual effects you are trying to convey. For this reason its better to teach alpine skiing in alpine gear.

For the most part you cannot tell that my heels are not hooked down. I ski in alpine parallel mode 97% of the time. There are two areas where I differ widely with my fellow free heelers. In moguls and steeps I do not ski a telemark turn. In both cases I use a pure alpine parallel turn. That holds true no matter how big, tight or icy the bumps are. I reserve the telemark turn for deep crud and powder.
Pierre

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System