confused on what to buy first

PMTS Forum

Re: confused on what to buy first

Postby semnoz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 am

Harald,

I'm 99.99% certain that this comment:

uavmx wrote:im not here to waste anyones time...nor play a facade for 2 years!! Some people need lives!

Was in response to this post just above (the bolded portion):

jclayton wrote:Sometimes people are a bit defensive but in the past a lot of time has been wasted by trolls , one guy kept up a facade for about two years .
semnoz

Postby jclayton » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:35 am

uavmx ,

Early post - " I'm young, I like hitting jumps, parks, playing around."

Later post - " dunno where this young thing came from. it was assumed, young is all relative though "

The comunication would be assisted if you were a bit more consistent . To be honest your reactions do point to a " young thing " .

Age is something that comes up at camps etc. , most people who come are older and have mostly spent frustrating years in the " System" . Younger guys tend to happily get by with athleticism , having a ball . My 26 YO son skis very well ,was very early onto the new shaped skis and is very balanced and co-ordinated ( he also was an aggressive rollerblader ) . He was knocked out by the technical quality of instruction at his first PMTS camp .

If you come with an open and inquiring mind you will see the difference . It appears that most young people who benefit from PMTS are racers .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby midwif » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:17 pm

uavmx

Welcome! (to the uncomplicated world of skiing!) :lol:

And welcome to this forum. :D

Most folks here have had an "AHA" moment after working with the system. And have a passion for skiing.
And most of us have spent years and money elsewhere trying to improve. And have found it with PMTS.

Take advantage of Heluvaskiers posted videos he has posted showing his "retraining".
His pre-PMTS skiing is available to see.

Non-PMTS eyes would say it was very good skiing.
But he knew it could be better.
And spent the next several years breaking down his skiing from the beginning and rebuilding it from the ground up.
Quite an accomplishment to his dedication and willingness to share video and talk to HH about what he was doing right and wrong.
His later videos are an epiphany of skiing on a whole other plane!
midwif

Postby uavmx » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 am

jclayton wrote:
Age is something that comes up at camps etc. , most people who come are older and have mostly spent frustrating years in the " System" . Younger guys tend to happily get by with athleticism , having a ball . My 26 YO son skis very well ,was very early onto the new shaped skis and is very balanced and co-ordinated ( he also was an aggressive rollerblader ) . He was knocked out by the technical quality of instruction at his first PMTS camp .

I think your right and that describes me. Probably only gotten by as a "good skier" by athleticism. But this last season, when I really wanted to venture through trees, powder, etc I felt like I was up against a wall, working extremely hard. I could get my way down the mountain, but worked very hard to do it.

This is why I look forward to this season and trying PMTS. I love skiing, I love playing around, so thats where my concerns were losing out on some of the enjoyment, but you have dispelled my pre conceived notions :D

Harb, you completely mis understood my statement. I have no chip, I retract all prior statements, I have committed and bought the DVD's and hopefully the book soon.

Can we go ski now? Its supposed to snow in Wrightwood this weekend
uavmx

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:53 am

Harb, you completely mis understood my statement. I have no chip, I retract all prior statements, I have committed and bought the DVD's and hopefully the book soon.

Let's keep playing along and assume it's just a lack of manners.

But seriously son, as I said before, (and don't get me wrong: This is fun), it's "Mr" Harb to you son!
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:54 am

If you have no chip, does that mean you have no interest in KERS?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby polecat » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:14 pm

uavmx wrote:... Its supposed to snow in Wrightwood this weekend

Dang, I'm booked. And they're running early season ticket rates right now too.

OBTW, Miles turned us on to Baldy's virtual passes a while back, season passes for about the price of two single day tickets. Last year I averaged less than ten bucks a day to ski Baldy. Image

pc.
polecat

Postby uavmx » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Wow, $129?

Ive never skied baldy. But I imagine the snow quality and runs are the same as Mt High. Looks like Baldy might have some additional difficult terrain. No reason to go to Baldy when I'm literally 4 miles away from Mt High...

Let me know if you want to come up for some runs in wrightwood this winter. Always have beer and bbq going!
uavmx

Postby polecat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 pm

I guess having mh in your backyard would make it hard to justify driving around to this side of the mountains to ski.

Haven’t been up there for years. Been meaning to. Is it still insanely crowded on the weekends? I always tried to ski mid-week in Wrightwood or Big Bear.

Baldy is sort of unusual. Only about 45 minutes from downtown LA but the feel is a small, local neighborhood, retro operation. They have fewer lifts and fewer groomed trails than the Big Bear and Wrightwood hills as well as smaller crowds.

It has a reputation for the best off-piste terrain in SoCal. Someday, I hope to make much better use of that than I do now.

pc.
polecat

Postby uavmx » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 am

Yes, weekends are a mess. Since I live there, I avoid them. Actually, I just make sure I'm there by 0730, and I get off the mountain around noon, when it really gets bad. I get every other friday off of work, and i go after work often. Not all weekends are horrible. East resort is more geared towards Skiers, so most of the kids stay on the west resort.

Let me know if you want to come up! I will be home in a few weeks
uavmx

Postby nickia » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:55 pm

uavmx wrote:I'm not trying to doubt your all mountain prowess....just wanted to know that you guys do actually get out and free ride, all mountain, keep up (or beat) your friends. I was just getting the feeling that people hang out on the bunny slopes all day. Again, of course it seems that way because this is the purpose of this forum.

so, I BELIEVE YOU, PUT DOWN YOUR PITCH FORKS. Didn't expect such a heated response, which again, I respect that, shows how passionate you are about the system. I bet harb will tear up :lol:

I played the violin so I understand I need to drill hard to get proficient at something.

I spent most of my time practicing on green and do free-runs on blue and black after I'm done practicing for the day.

Once you get the basics down, going down on a black is a piece of cake because you know you are in control.

When I go with my buddies, I free-ski with them. It doesn't always have to be all-or-nothing.
nickia

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Once of the worst things you can do when improving your skiing or working on your skiing, is going out and skiing over your head, trying to keep up with your buddies.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:40 pm

h.harb wrote:Once of the worst things you can do when improving your skiing or working on your skiing, is going out and skiing over your head, trying to keep up with your buddies.

This can't be emphasized enough. You can undo all the morning training with sloppy runs in the afternoon.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:55 pm

So what is the right way to approach skiing closer to the limit? Go up to a difficult slope (for you) and practice slow two footed releases and see if you can keep it together the whole way down. Work up to bullet proof short turns.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System