Figure "8" turns

PMTS Forum

not what I thought figure 8 turns were

Postby John Mason » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:44 pm

my understanding is that it's the path of the body vs the path of the skis that makes the figure 8 - not what Jay put up at all.

but, we'll all be at camp in just over a week, so I'll get it straight in my mind then.

Jay's diagram is a single path (of the skis), not the two paths of the skis vs the body so it's not close to what I thought they were.

Jay - are you coming to camp at copper week from Wednesday?

I'm still looking for people that might want to ski on Wed and Monday. Got people for both days, the more the merrier!
John Mason

figure 8

Postby Harald » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:35 pm

Although John, your observation is good and a topic that deserves further discussion, Jays' diagram is what we are trying to achieve in the general concept with figure 8 turns. Jay is right, the traverses in the diagrams are too flat and long, but the idea is there. Racers need to be able to make this kind of turn without losing speed.

I challenge our better skiers in PMTS with these different kinds of goals and targets, as they require a higher standard than what regular instructors and experts are used to in their training. The training I incorporate is based on the skiing I expected from my athletes when I was coaching.

The exercises I introduce aren?t out of range or reach for skier?s who want to raise their levels and strive for excellence, in their skiing. I think innovation and fun activities such as figure 8 turns, bring life to skiing and skiing exercises. I hate to stand around and talk technique on the slopes.

Unfortunately, when we do alignment, on snow evaluation, we have to set up artificial situations and that takes longer than I like to spend in one spot, but that?s another topic.
Harald

Postby BigE » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:51 am

OK! So the goal is to complete the turn travelling uphill. Done perfectly, it would be a figure eight laid on it's side. With frictionless snow, you would not even go downhill.

Great exercise. I can't wait to do it! Another month to go. :cry:
BigE

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:42 am

If figure 8 turns are part of the agenda on the November instructor training, it would be great to get some footage posted here.
I would really like to see this in slow motion.

Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System