Mr. Clayton asks...

PMTS Forum

Mr. Clayton asks...

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:29 am

"are you the mysterious poster of yore posting as Guest ..."

No.

Observation stimulates curiosity.

Active re-direction/guidance of the skis beyond a pure carve is very real for all skiers - How this is 'managed' is one of the many challenges of skiing.

To me, those who deny its existence are naive. Conversely, it is interesting to have others share the physiological explanations of making it happen.

I do not need to defend. I enjoy watching skiers at all levels and see that a carving ski throughout an entire turn is the exception.

So, understanding how to manage this to complement one's entire skiing repertoire is important to all of us who enjoy alpine skiing.

Listening is an important skill in communication.
Curious

Curious isn't

Postby John Mason » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:07 am

Curious would like to put PMTS in a little box of pure carve only. Curious assumes this can only be done with active leg steering and directing the skis.

Curious isn't. Curious Assumes. Curious ignores the fact, most PMTS skiers came up through skiing with his attitude and approach to skiing then learned a better way. Curious ignores the number of PSIA III certs (and PSIA examiners too) that are also PMTS certs that can logically compare and are knowledgeable about both ways to ski. I "skied" with some of these at the last carver camp. It was interesting hearing how nice and friendly the PSIA big tent was to PMTS methods.

Curious should change his name. Or simply post with a real name.

Since the name Curious is clearly a deception - kinda like the premise of how to best ski - since Curious is certainly not interested in learning anything, I will listen to the multiple national demo team members (that were also at the carver camp) that are now utilizing PMTS as an improved way to approach all mountain situations in skiing. These people have been where Curious is. Curious is still stuck in his little box but obviously doesn't realize it.
John Mason

Postby jclayton » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:03 am

Curious ,
By "active redirection " do you mean skid/slide/etc , Skiersynergy pointes out that this can be, and frequently is , acheived by passive redirection . Read Haralds post on the "Holy Grail " thread for muscle use in steering .

Nobody denies it's existence , just its usefulness .

I'm glad you see "pure " i.e. High-C carved turns as the exception , in your previous post you denied their existence ( or at least denied ever having seen them ) .

We are all in this sport to enjoy ourselves , however I ENJOY MYSELF FAR MORE after waking up to passive turning techniques ? la PMTS than when I used active ones , twisting and wrenching my body and skis all over the mountain .

I also found it's much easier to yodel when I am relaxed while skiing though I'm sure I will never reach Ott's level .

I think you have not seen enough good skiers , I have seen and met ( they are humans just like us ) several here in Spain who leave perfect track on quite steep slopes , admittedly ex national team members and world cup skiers .

Myself when I can thread a few clean carves on black runs there is nothing like it , perhaps like being on a bucking bronco right on the edge of disaster .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Let's Chill, folks.

Postby Curious » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:11 am

There are introverts in the world, John. I am more comfortable anonymously. Thank you for respecting that.

John, I stand by my assertion that "Active re-direction/guidance of the skis beyond a pure carve is very real for all skiers - How this is 'managed' is one of the many challenges of skiing. "

The ski track left in the snow tells so much. A wider brushed track at turn exit v. turn entry v. turn apex are all symptoms of degrees of skier snow-ski awareness and control. (active guidance) So....

I am curious as to how this is addressed - within this forum my intent is to understand PMTS's approach. The personal attacks on my curiosity and desire to learn are unnecessary.

Why are you so afraid of acknowledging that how skis slide on the snow are different than how wheels roll on pavement? From a movement pattern/balance standpoint I have no doubt as the benefits of the carvers. Yet a ski slides freely. What is PMTS's approach to managing this?

Thank you for teaching, not attacking.
Curious

should we try?

Postby John Mason » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:24 am

Curious wrote:To me, those who deny its existence are naive.

I don't know about your sincerity as your prior comment shows you would think people responding are naive.

Is it actually a question?
John Mason

Postby jclayton » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:32 am

Aren't you still confusing "active redirection " with brushing etc . Brushing can be done by passive foot movements , it is easier in fact and more fun . It is surely just flattening the ski a bit but not necessarily kicking out the heels or twisting the knees . It is more dynamic this way also .

As Skiersynergy points out earlier , it is a more balanced and quicker way of avoiding obstacles . Tip the free foot more agressively and you'll turn faster . Skiersynergy remember has skied and patrolled for years but still felt he could improve many areas of his skiing .

In my case I still fall back on old habits when in an emergency , especially off-piste , often causing the inevitable wipeout .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System