Learning PMTS with a Coach: A Video Diary

PMTS Forum

Re: Learning PMTS with a Coach: A Video Diary

Postby idahorob » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks for asking, Matt. Actually, I have not developed that theme because I have not been able to ski for the last two years. Back in December, 2012 I had a bad crash at Sun Valley when the toe piece of my almost new Head PRD 12 binding broke (an independent lab says there was definitely a manufacturing defect in the plastic). I ended up with a shattered right tibial plateau, fractures of the shafts of both tibia and fibula, and a knee that healed with a valgus angle that was very troubling. After several months of no weight bearing and a lot of rehab and exercise, this January I slipped on some ice in my yard. My strong leg slid straight forward and I fell heavily into my injured leg, flexing it much more deeply than I'd been able to get it to go. This resulted, not in ligament damage like I feared, but a fracture of the femur just above the knee. It did not displace and I didn't need surgery, but I was in a rigid brace for many weeks. It's healed and I'm rehabing with great dedication and regaining strength. But I don't know if skiing is going to be in my future or not. My lawyer has written to Head's insurance carrier filing a claim for damages, which they are dealing with by ignoring it. Corporate bastards! I may have to file suit to get their attention.

But, all that's more info than you asked for. I may still get the Feldenkrais lessons worked out and if I manage that I'll post a link to them.
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:58 am

idahorob wrote:Thanks for asking, Matt. Actually, I have not developed that theme because I have not been able to ski for the last two years. Back in December, 2012 I had a bad crash at Sun Valley when the toe piece of my almost new Head PRD 12 binding broke (an independent lab says there was definitely a manufacturing defect in the plastic). I ended up with a shattered right tibial plateau, fractures of the shafts of both tibia and fibula, and a knee that healed with a valgus angle that was very troubling. After several months of no weight bearing and a lot of rehab and exercise, this January I slipped on some ice in my yard. My strong leg slid straight forward and I fell heavily into my injured leg, flexing it much more deeply than I'd been able to get it to go. This resulted, not in ligament damage like I feared, but a fracture of the femur just above the knee. It did not displace and I didn't need surgery, but I was in a rigid brace for many weeks. It's healed and I'm rehabing with great dedication and regaining strength. But I don't know if skiing is going to be in my future or not. My lawyer has written to Head's insurance carrier filing a claim for damages, which they are dealing with by ignoring it. Corporate bastards! I may have to file suit to get their attention.

But, all that's more info than you asked for. I may still get the Feldenkrais lessons worked out and if I manage that I'll post a link to them.

Thanks for responding Rob.
Ouch, what a nightmare. All the best wishes in your recovery. I'm sure as a Feldenkrais instructor you have the best circumstances for a recovery. I hope you come back to the joy of skiing.
It would be great with some lessons but no pressure.
In the middle of nowhere where I live there are no Feldenkrais instructors. Do you know of any good books that can be used as a substitute? I found several googling and on Amazon but I'm not sure what to make of it.
Matt

Postby idahorob » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Matt, sorry for the delay. I generally recommend starting with some audio lessons first. Like PMTS, it's easy to misunderstand Feldenkrais' writings when first encountering them and relating from previous knowledge or systems. And, besides, we're all interested in the movement aspect more, right? So I'd suggest starting by going on-line to www.feldenkraisresources.com. In the upper left margin click on "Enter the Store," and from there click on "Introductory Programs." There are so many of these available now that I don't even know them all, but worth a look are the introductory lessons from Elizabeth Beringer and David Bersin. They also have a couple of lesson sets that focus on knees and ankles. I haven't done these but I know and respect these two teachers.

Their site also allows you to search materials by theme and to peruse books, mp3 downloads, videos and more. Personally, I think audio is better than video for doing the movement lessons. With video we tend to watch and there is a tendency to copy someone on the video instead of focusing on your own sensations. I like having Harald as a model for ski movements, but in Feldenkrais we are exploring deeper organization of the functions that make up our activities, like skiing, rather than the movements of skiing themselves. No substitute there for your own, private experience.

So, that might get you started. Let me know if you have more questions.
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System