Feet together to learn tipping

PMTS Forum

Feet together to learn tipping

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:05 pm

This post comes from a pm I sent to Harald. It's posted here at Haralds request with the approval of J Botti

In all your video's and stills I see your ski's matched, same tipped angle and positioned parallel to each other. Matching my ski's is something I work hard on.
These stills from the J-Botti video show unmatched positions. So I was wondering if this was something you/he was working on and should I place so much importance on it in my skiing?

Larger less cropped versions can be viewed here http://microsite.net.nz/jbotti/
h.harb

Re: Feet together to learn tipping

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:07 pm

This is an acute eye, because most would never notice this. And yes that is one of the things we are working on. You will notice in the video sequences with John in the "Orange Jacket", there is even less big toe lead, than here. This is because we worked on it. Two things must happen; you need incredible concentration for holding your feet together and you have to lead every tipping movement off the big toe edge, with the tipping movement toward the little toe edge for the new inside foot. Remember the ball and sponge between the feet exercises I was showing in the Expert Book 2 video? Well, just because my "Essentials" book is out, doesn't mean I wrote those other books for nothing. I think many of you thought you have graduated from Book 1 and 2 just because "Essentials" is here, not so. Those two books are just as important as they were when they first came out and so are the exercises and movements in them. Max501 always says. " start with Book 1 and 2 then move to the TFR". There is a reason for this, feet together skiing is a special ability and it pays off later, when you want to get bigger angles and ski the bumps.

I know you have all heard this before, but if you don't ski it, the way I am showing it, you aren't tipping enough. In the new DVD, you will see an exercise on the flat cat track where I exaggerate my inside foot tipping. I had John following me on some of these runs. His comments, " I don't tip that far, I've never tipped that far, I am going to tip that far".

Look at the clips Kiwi put up of John here. Imagine what this would look like if his inside ski were tucked beside and under the stance ski. Imagine the image. It would be perfect. That is why you have to begin with your feet clamped together.

My inside ski is tucked under my stance boot and tipped http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:08 pm

This should probably be a new thread. Now it is!
ImageThis doesn't come naturally it's designed and trained. Inside boot tipping feet together. Don't confuse this with the "locked foot swivel". My feet are still moving independently.

This is the preparation phase, the phase where balance is set up. You will never see a PSIA student able to do this. This is only taught by PMTS.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Image Image
Feet together for bumps is critical, why do you think so many people don't ski bumps, they don't know how to keep their feet together.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm

ImageImage
After we focused on this notice a difference?

Look at how centered John is compared to his previous skiing.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Feet together on other side.Image
Transitions look different when consistent foot width is held all the time.

This is much higher level of inside foot discipline. If skiers don't get this they will never learn to ski.
h.harb

Postby Kiwi-Paul » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:54 pm

This post comes from a pm I sent to Harald. It's posted here at Haralds request with the approval of J Botti

In all your video's and stills I see your ski's matched, same tipped angle and positioned parallel to each other. Matching my ski's is something I work hard on.
These stills from the J-Botti video show unmatched positions. So I was wondering if this was something you/he was working on and should I place so much importance on it in my skiing?

Just for clarity, this was posted by me (with pictures) in the JBotti video thread and appropriately moved here by Harald to create this new topic.
From experience - Too much tipping can be bad (My Avatar)
Kiwi-Paul

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:09 pm

h.harb wrote:This is much higher level of inside foot discipline.

Harald, If I'm not mistaken these shot were taken after John and I had a little chat about his skiing. :mrgreen:
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Why not, if a little chat, rather than a full on, shout out, will do it, I say go for it every time.
BTW, how are your feet together turns coming? Got video?
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:20 pm

h.harb wrote:Why not, if a little chat, rather than a full on, shout out, will do it, I say go for it every time.
BTW, how are your feet together turns coming? Got video?

I haven't hit the snow since our trip. Maybe tomorrow. If I get vid I'll put it up.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Gee, I like me in the orange jacket a lot better than in red!! Huge difference.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Orange rules!
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:51 pm

h.harb wrote:Orange rules!

I have an orange helmet... must count for something. 8)
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 pm

BTW - great thread. I've had good success with focusing on narrow stances when training racers to tip. Most often they are good at creating edge angles with their upper body, but have no true balance and therefore have no idea how to create tipping with the feet. If you leave them in a wide stance they use it as a crutch. when you move the stance in, they can no-longer use their upper body to put the skis on edge and have to use their feet. To those reading, this isn't just something that you should apply to bumps and BPST's - it will make you a better skier everywhere - because it teaches REAL balance. When I always talk about going back to tipping to rebuild my skiing - this is what I'm referencing. I often still go back and do garlands and narrow-stance tipping drills, both brushed and arc-to-arc, just to be sure I'm still balancing properly. I know the images provided focused on John's feet, but look at the improvements in upper body movement that he had to make in order to use tipping in a narrow stance. I think the improvements really speak for themselves.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:28 pm

How far off or out are the Epic guys, Lemaster and BB on this one? Eons! And they are still trying to find a way back. Space travel is tough when you are spaced out. Or is it inner space that they have too much of?
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System