Kinesiology, Skeletally Strong Position, Structural Alignmnt

PMTS Forum

Kinesiology, Skeletally Strong Position, Structural Alignmnt

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:00 am

Kinesiology, Skeletally Strong Position, Structural Alignment.

Inspired by SkierSynergy posts, as well as motivated by contrasting links to Ron LeMaster?s articles :( , I have read the ?Bio? chapter in PMTS instructors manual for the second time and I think I will have a go at it for the 2nd time with the whole book.
I find this chapter to be great reading and very clear introduction to kinesiology for someone (like me) without any prior knowledge of the subject (the whole book is rooted on the foundation build in this chapter).
Kinesiology was explained in ACES 1 and 2, as well, but I found the exposition in instructor?s manual far more detailed (yet still easy to read).

Reading it resulted (at least for me) in better understanding of ?why? for many or maybe all elements of good skiing.
? Understanding how our joints work and what can injure them.
? Asking questions like Is structural leg alignment compromised?, Is there any weight on the leg when knee is overextended?.
? Using the concept of ?Skeletally Strong Position? to decide if the movement and resulting position is good or not.
? Finally, where does the movement originate from as far as joints and muscles are concerned, which muscles/joints allow fine control.
This understanding is rooted in science. Biomechanics, kinesiology is deep and insightful way to look at skiing movements.

I would love to read more on the introductory level kinesiology.
I would appreciate a pointer on where to start. Are there any other intro books on the subject?

Thanks, Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System