2010: PMTS In Action!

PMTS Forum

2010: PMTS In Action!

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:28 pm

http://www.vimeo.com/10377357

Boots: Fischer SOMA WC 150
Skis: Fischer WC GS Hole (188), Fischer WC SL Hole (165), Fischer WC SL non-Hole (165), Nordica Dobermann SLR (165), and Hart Pulse (180) [bumps only for the Hart]

As promised - every season since 2006 (now 5 seasons in a row) - I post my progress with my skiing. In 2007 I started reading about PMTS, so this is really only my third full season of training with PMTS. I work on technique perhaps a bit more than the average skier [okay, I put a lot of work into my skiing], but still, I think the results speak for themselves with regards to the effectiveness of PMTS training. Our conditions were pretty variable this year and my time limited, so it took me a lot longer to get video that I thought was of good enough skiing to post.

For those interested, I spent most of the season working on fore/aft movement and releasing (various types). I feel like I started working on those things a little late as I didn't show the kind of progress I would have liked to show - but there is always next season or possibly summer or early season camps. I still focus on the other Essentials intermittently so that I can ensure that I'm not regressing in one area while I advance in another.

As an aside, I spent a very large portion of my season working on drills with students and on my own - more than any other season actually. I'll echo what Harald, Max, John, and others are always saying about the drills - do them! Don't just go through the motions either. Do them to be better at them. Expand the range of motion of the specific movement you're working on each time you do them and then incorporate those movements into your skiing with the same intensity that you're using them in your drills.

Thanks to those who helped me with coaching, filming, and feedback this year (WNYSkier, Harald, patprof, Max, and several others)! I hope you enjoy watching, and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Later,

Greg
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: 2010: PMTS In Action!

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Well, if you are crediting PMTS, that's huge success for both the system and your implementation of it. You never had a PMTS coach work with you directly. What does that say about the system and your dedication to it's movements? This is so much better than what I remember, before you started using the Essentials.
h.harb

Postby patprof » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Whoever shot that one-footed sequence at the end had a really steady hand :D :D :D
"I can't dance and I can't fly-but when I ski I can sometimes do both!"
Author Unknown
patprof

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:21 pm

h.harb wrote:Well, if you are crediting PMTS, that's huge success for both the system and your implementation of it. You never had a PMTS coach work with you directly. What does that say about the system and your dedication to it's movements? This is so much better than what I remember, before you started using the Essentials.

Thanks for you comments Harald. Hearing that directly from you is really important - because as you say I've never had coaching directly from a PMTS coach. [Although I really am trying to change that - it just didn't work out this year - maybe next year in the fall though so I can start my season the right way.] Your willingness to be accessible to anyone willing to register here and give PMTS a shot is unprecedented in ski coaching. Of course making sure that I am on track with the movements and seeing the correct errors in my skiing is a constant work in process. Often I'm bouncing ideas off you, Max, WNYSkier, and a few others just to make sure I'm actually doing/seeing what I think I am.

This forum and it's participants are responsible for my boot setup, my binding setup and placement, and the improvements that I've made to my skiing. Gaining understanding all of the PMTS literature out there was of course the first step for me (still working on it) - otherwise this forum and the wealth of knowledge here can't be fully understood. Self coaching is really tough, but it has forced me to become my own PMTS coach, and be extremely critical and observant in movement analysis. Often it still requires me to go frame by frame in my videos to see what is really going on but I eventually figure it out in most cases - although not without a gentle nudge or sometimes an outright push from Harald or WNYSkier. Pushing the envelope is a lot of fun though, and the results in my skiing are even more fun, so I love every minute of it.

Regards,

Greg

HeluvaSkier

Postby milesb » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:30 pm

looks really good.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby ibMED » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:45 am

Greg,
Nice work, my friend and PMTS mentor! In real time, I only get to see your skiing from behind, way behind! :lol:

As you continue to work through areas to improve with HH or other knowledgeable forum members, share your thoughts and learnings from this years video. Your journey to better skiing over the years is inspirational.

Mike
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

ibMED wrote:Greg,
Nice work, my friend and PMTS mentor! In real time, I only get to see your skiing from behind, way behind! :lol:

Hey, I let you go first sometimes. :)

ibMED wrote:As you continue to work through areas to improve with HH or other knowledgeable forum members, share your thoughts and learnings from this years video. Your journey to better skiing over the years is inspirational.

Mike

Thank you. I try to keep posting my progress so people can see what kind of changes are possible for a "normal person". My skiing is always a work in progress though... never finished.

I also like showing all the detractors out there that there are no limitations to PMTS [or carving like I do] on any terrain. Those who think there are limitations are only experiencing the limitations in their own skiing. I much prefer the sound of crickets over detractors anyway. :wink:

HeluvaSkier

Postby François » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:51 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:
ibMED wrote:Greg,

Hey, I let you go first sometimes. :)

ibMED wrote:As you continue to work through areas to improve with HH or other knowledgeable forum members, share your thoughts and learnings from this years video. Your journey to better skiing over the years is inspirational.

Mike

Thank you. I try to keep posting my progress so people can see what kind of changes are possible for a "normal person". My skiing is always a work in progress though... never finished.

I also like showing all the detractors out there that there are no limitations to PMTS [or carving like I do] on any terrain. Those who think there are limitations are only experiencing the limitations in their own skiing. I much prefer the sound of crickets over detractors anyway. :wink:

Silly Heluvaskier,
Don't you realize by now that if you succeed (and post video to prove it) using PMTS, that it only proves that you are not a "normal person", but a "star pupil", and an exceptional skier? :wink:
François

Postby cheesehead » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:04 am

If you could capture that image about 2:00 in of you carving aggresively with the skier next to you standing up PSIA-style eking his or her way down the slope it would make a great T-shirt, with the caption, "who is having more fun?"
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby jclayton » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:06 pm

cheesehead , that is a " MONOSKIER" . you don't see them much in the states but they are the terror of the slopes in the french Pyreneès and sometimes filter over into Spain like a swine flu bacteria . Lots of hip/bum swivelling and continual poling along to keep balance , dayglo clothes and a smug , I'm king of the hill ,smile .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Hey, I hope you guys don't mind - I pulled these posts out of jepoupatout's thread so we didn't derail the discussion of his skiing.

jclayton wrote:Hey Helluva , I like your self control , in not running over that mono skier .

Comparing the 2006 and 2010 videos the difference in fluidity is huge , apart from the nice round , controlled carves . I can see the work you have put in on energy management during release .

That mono skier is actually an older guy who skis every day at my home mountain... not much in the way of technique, but I think the guy is over 80 - so good for him. You're right about the releasing - I've put a lot of work into different releases with respect to both timing and intensity.

h.harb wrote:Some of the credit has to go to the new boot set up, whoever did it, did a nice job for you. In the older videos and pictures, you saw square hips, much less inside leg flexing and tipping, leaning upper body (low inside hand) and heavily levered forward with low hips. This has all cleaned up nicely. Very nice skiing, how are your timed runs since all of these changes?

The boot setup is basically the same from last year [minus rear spoilers] - however the binding delta has changed significantly. You and WNYSkier suggested it in the early season and I dialed it in over the course of several weeks on snow. I changed both delta and mounting positions on all my skis. The result is a much more upright boot compared to previous seasons. GS and SL are different delta setups... I did a trial and error test for pretty much all of my skis (tried 3-4 different mounting positions and an equal number of delta angles). Through video, in-person analysis, and my personal preferences in snow feel I arrived at the setups I'm currently running.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:44 pm

You will notice that Greg's set up is the opposite of JBotti's set up. You need not look further then their comparative leg length for the answers why.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:01 pm

h.harb wrote:You will notice that Greg's set up is the opposite of JBotti's set up. You need not look further then their comparative leg length for the answers why.

For those who don't know - I think John is 7+ inches taller than I am.

Boot setup is very personal - everyone has the potential to be very different in order to get the same results in their skiing. As Harald noted - what put JBotti in his sweet spot would destroy my skiing.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:19 pm

That is why the Jeanne Thorn thing, Surefoot etc, and others in the alignment business constantly get it wrong. They apply one method to all skiers. We apply the method that works to the individual skier. We are the only ones that have evolved this approach to this extent.

In some cases individuals are still a mystery to us, but with effort and trials; we usually come out with great results. Other shops don't do this and don't spend the time. They are not on snow with their boot and alignment clients. On snow alignment was my concept, started with racers, obviously and brought to recreational skiers in 1994. Wow, it's been 15 years already!
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System