Ron LeMaster photomontage of Early Weight Shift Turns

PMTS Forum

Ron LeMaster photomontage of Early Weight Shift Turns

Postby John Mason » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:25 pm

http://www.skiracing.com/features/news_ ... sArticles/

This article by Phil McNichol with illustrative photomontage by Ron Lemaster of Erik Schlopy.

Note third pic from the bottom where Erik has transferred all balance to the uphill ski (the old outside ski is off the snow), while the old outside ski is pulled in and tipped to generate the new turn. (you also see this in the prior turn)

The coaches points describe drills that overlap PMTS's description of the Super Phantom and the Weighted Release which then gives the racer the tools to mix these effects. (coaching points a b and c).

The wide stance is a relative statement as in the transistion it's easy to see Erik is hip width. While this may be wider than in the past, it's not wide like lots of skiers on the hill are demonstrating (also this is in the full out racing context).

Also note the admonition to use rounder turns without active steering. Turn arc is controlled by controlling inclination which is easy to do by just focusing on the amount of tipping on the inside ski.

I see lots of overlaps here with what Harald teaches in PMTS. The photomontage of Erik is a super real life illustration of the oft mis-understood SP turn or early weight shift turn.

Note also the coach's emphasis on controlling inclination for turn shape and round turns and calling the active steering that used to be done at the top of the turn a 90's move.

Ron takes great pictures. Phil sounds like a great coach. I know Harald came up with PMTS back in the 90's. Looks like he was ahead of his time!
John Mason

Rotate this

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:52 pm

John this is a demonstration of the ?High C? engagement. Notice how Erich has no pressure on his outside ski at the gate. He is already transferred.

Therefore stance width at that point is irrelevant. Look at his stance width in the photo before the gate, it is narrow by all standards and look at how he draws his feet closer together after the turn transition. He is not trying to get his feet wider; he is bringing them closer together.

Here is the PMTS transfer, "Super Phantom" in action, talk about using the little toe edge of the uphill ski at the release. You can almost not get any earlier than this transfer Erich demonstrates.

I ski with Erich; he does not ski with a wide stance. Rotary movements and leg steering are out of the question in modern skiing and ski racing. You just can?t keep up if you use them. Erich doesn't know what the words rotary or leg steering mean.

Those that say you can't ski without it, and hold it as the most important movement in skiing, are compromising thier own skiing and that of the people they teach. They are offering opinions and beliefs, which are fine for religion and politics, but we are talking about the science of skiing, not hoping for a miracle to prove that traditional teaching systems are still or will still be in vogue when the sport is completely different from what it was ten years ago.

As I have said in many posts, Ron is a good photographer, but he is wrong about the skiing of world cup athletes. Those that follow his advice and other who suppport incorrect concepts of skiing, may never extract themselves from dark hole of rotary movement beliefs and compromised balance in their teaching and skiing.
Harald

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:17 pm

This is the advice of the Men?s ?A Team? National Ski Team coach, who coaches Bode and Erich Schlopy. I don?t have a problem posting this because it isn?t copyright infringement, I wrote it in ?Anyone can be an Expert Skier 1 @2 ? seven and four years ago respectively. Now if we had been doing the following for the past seven years rather than arguing the limitations of traditional systems, everyone would be further ahead. I rest my case.

Quote:
Perform outside-ski turns where at the completion of each turn, skiers shift their weight to the inside -- or uphill -- ski, standing tall and moving forward. They should lift the old outside ski and roll the new ski into the turn. Once the turn is established, they can place the inside ski down on the snow at the turn apex.

b. Perform turns initiated on the inside ski with the outside off the snow until turn apex.

c. Perform linked carved turns (both skis firmly planted on the snow) focusing on the movements established in the earlier drills.
Harald

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:05 pm

:oops: I have moved my post to "A serious post ; foot initiation and CM movement at High-C" where I intended it but by accident posted it here
:oops: :cry:
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System