Vokl which one?

PMTS Forum

Vokl which one?

Postby CaSea4Me » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:50 pm

I'm at a point where some of your opinions would be good to hear. Please feel free to add ur 2 cents on the topic :D

I'm stuck on which Volkl to get this season: the 7 24 EXP or 6 Star.

I've been skiing since 1968, my knees have seen all the radical bumps and jumps they can manage. I enjoy a bit of speed but also like the variety between long sweeping carving to short easy springy turns.

I'm 5'8" @ 175 lbs. What do you guys think would serve me best and in which length?
CaSea4Me

Ski more, work less

Postby Harald » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:00 pm

I'll suggest a Head iC 160, more forgiving, bends easier, yet has all the performance at less cost. Get more out of the ski with less effort.
Harald

Right Ski

Postby skirmastr » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:39 pm

I will get back to you on this. I need to research my test notes but I believe you would have much more fun on the 4 star.
skirmastr

Which one?

Postby CaSea4Me » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:18 pm

Thanks for ur imput. 4 Star? Reasons? Say hello to my family up in Reno :D
CaSea4Me

Skis

Postby skirmastr » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:28 pm

Sorry that i did not get right back to you! If you still are looking for your skis let me know and I will research it tonight.
skirmastr

u can buy my 6 stars

Postby John Mason » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:15 pm

I got some 6 stars you can buy

Reason, I like the new head I got better. 6 star is the stiffer one of the line. The 4 star and 5 star are less stiff.

Heads are damper than the volkl. That's a good thing when your going fast or on terrain that might induce chatter. (rough ice) Some people don't like a damp ski though. The Head's I'm using now also have a very nice progressive flex to them which is great for playing with turn shape.

Find a pro shop that demo's them.

Holiday valley on the 18th has demo days - mfr reps have their tents set up and you can demo skis for free. These roving demo days hit lots of different resorts. See if any in your neck of the woods are holding a demo days. That's a free way to try out some different skis.
John Mason

Postby Harrison » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:46 am

i would advise against volkl
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

Postby Mac » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:16 pm

Harrison, I haven't had very good luck with Volkl's either. What's your main gripe with them?
Mac

Postby Rusty Guy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:23 pm

Yes Harrison

Let's see if you can string three or four intelligent sentences together and describe a reason why you would not recommend the brand mentioned.

I have repped for K2, Fischer, and Nordica.

The truth is that every ski maker is making a pretty good product today. Compared to five or ten years ago it is amazing. The key is finding the right tool for the type of skiing that you want to do.

I have always marvelled at the fact that so many PMTS afficianados are on Head skis. Anyone else smell a rat?

How many times has anyone seen a Head product on a WC podium?
Rusty Guy

Rusty - Atomics Next?

Postby John Mason » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:17 pm

Rusty - based on that reasoning, I imagine you'll be on Atomics soon since they are going to be on the podium the most this year it looks like.

I have head/volkl/ and atomic skis (yep, I still have one pair of atomics after the B5's walked away)

All the brands are good. I like the 3 pairs I use and have skied on most in this order from good to best

Head I75M
6 Stars
Head 1100 XRC sw

But, that's on packed powder. On junk and crud I like the I75M's the best.

The 6 stars are the liveliest and have the most rebound. Both the head skis are quite damp by comparison.

As far as picking the brand that's on the podium, that's like picking ford or chevy because they one an indy car race. It's not the same engine. It's not the same ski.

Head skis are harder to find than a lot of brands, but so far I like them. Peter of Realskiers and his massive database of testers around the country like some of the Head models too. At the instructor camp which you might call the land of PMTS'ers, there were all sorts of different brands of skis including lots of K2 and Fischers. I didn't see a lot of Nordica's though. I didn't see any massive lock step towards any single brand in that group.

Let me know how you like those Atomic's Rusty.
John Mason

Postby Harrison » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:47 pm

Rusty Guy wrote:Yes Harrison

Let's see if you can string three or four intelligent sentences together and describe a reason why you would not recommend the brand mentioned.

I have repped for K2, Fischer, and Nordica.

The truth is that every ski maker is making a pretty good product today. Compared to five or ten years ago it is amazing. The key is finding the right tool for the type of skiing that you want to do.

I have always marvelled at the fact that so many PMTS afficianados are on Head skis. Anyone else smell a rat?

How many times has anyone seen a Head product on a WC podium?

unlike you, i dont base my decision on what people winning the worldcup are skiing on...
while the world cup skiers are making their living mostly by sponsers, i ski on what is most fun for me, i dont get new skis every season like wc skiers either

i have tried some of my friends volkl skis, and i found i had to work harder on them than on my skis
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

Postby volkl lover » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:30 pm

Harrison

Maybe you are just a crappy skier.
volkl lover

Postby Harrison » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:46 pm

hahahahahaha, alright, have fun with that

last time i checked, the skis that the winners of the world cup are holding, did not make them that skier
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

lighten up

Postby SkierSynergy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:48 pm

What is the deal here???

Harrison simply said that in his opinion, he would advise against them.

I don't think that is so antogonistic. Even if it were, I think we can all rise above the youthful antogonism of a 15 year old.

Lighten up guys.
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Postby Harrison » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:55 pm

you're right, it was not antogonistic at all...i was speaking from my experience with the skis...personally, i didnt have a good time

other people might think differently about the skis
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System