Late hit and edge set skiing!

PMTS Forum

Re: Late hit and edge set skiing!

Postby oggy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:28 am

Max: that's great skiing, but he's carving the turns there?

Maybe I didn't make myself quite clear: I can see the difference between the 2nd guy in the original vid and the PMTS brushed carve turn as demonstrated by Harald, but the difference I see is in extending during the release and lack of proper CA/CB during the turn; I don't understand why is this "late hit and edge set skiing"?

John: as far as the trousers go, you can send me a video of yours and I can try and see what my media player can do (don't ya love Harald's look in the pic above?)
oggy

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:50 am

oggy wrote:Max: that's great skiing, but he's carving the turns there?

Yes, a wonderful example of a SRT.

oggy wrote:Maybe I didn't make myself quite clear: I can see the difference between the 2nd guy in the original vid and the PMTS brushed carve turn as demonstrated by Harald, but the difference I see is in extending during the release and lack of proper CA/CB during the turn; I don't understand why is this "late hit and edge set skiing"?

Watch the movement in slow motion and focus on the tails and then how/when the edge engagement occurs.
Max_501

Postby Ken » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:32 pm

THEY"D SAY NOTHING OF THE TRANSITION! In TTS, that is magic.

I've been in clinics where they say to think of the turn from apex (middle third) to apex. Transition is given no importance. I've never understood that thinking.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm

If you compare the turns here, this is the difference.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:35 pm

You can't be used as a comparo turn. This is a flatter slope and has no top or bottom to the arc, these are quick sidecut turns without pressure, they are good, but much easier to do.
Not the same kind of turn this thread began comparing.

Compare to this video.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 pm

ImageImageImage

Staying with a flexing retraction release allows for increasing tipping angles without a hit at the end.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Image Here are some stills of the skier someone was comparing to a retraction or flexing release. Image
Here are two photos after his push off. He doesn't release his stance edged ski he pushes from it.
Although this skier is trying to make it look like he can ski arcs without up movements he still doesn't get a flexing or retraction release. Every turn he makes in this video, is a hit and then an up move away from the surface. This is sometimes hard to detect, but when you get on a race course or a very steep, icy, hill the difference is obvious.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Same skier a little later, here he is still on his way down, by using vertical flexing, not tipping. In my photos I am already tipping and increasing tipping at this stage of the arc.

His flexing and extension is up and down, my flexing and extending is by lengthening the outside leg. I don't extend. I get an extended outside leg, only by flexing the inside leg and tipping my body, or dropping my body to the inside. My flexing and lengthening movements are at an angle to the slope and only while angled.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 pm

What is really peculiar about his skiing is that even after he does at times get a flexing at release; he extends in the upper third of the next arc, which destroys the smoothness of an arc. It makes you late, so you have to hit hard at the bottom.
If you look closely, he's not skiing parallel either, he leads every turn to his left with the big toe edge ski. His left tail washes out at the top of almost every right turn. This will really force you to hit late.

These are the, what may seem minor to some, glaring errors to me, and the difference between a good ski instructor skier, who is able to cover up his mistakes and a World Cup skier, who doesn't have them.

This is really high end MA, which PSIA, Epic and most coaches never see or understand.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:39 pm

What you see in this thread, is nothing new to me, in my career as a race coach; I transformed skiers with these movements and this kind of skiing, into skiers who used functional racing technique, everyday.
h.harb

Postby ginaliam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Max_501 wrote:Compare to this video.

Max, Is that Mr. Berger? Damn that guy rips--does he have any video stuff that is NOT in japanese?? I need some yellow pants and an orange one-piece! :D

Great MA, Harald on the original videos-I could never really break down there turns and the important differences on my own-that is pretty instructive.
ginaliam

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:09 pm

That's not Berger, that is a Japanese skier.
h.harb

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:34 am

I was assuming it was Hisaya Sato, who has been mentioned here a few times. Can anyone confirm?
JohnMoore

Postby jclayton » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:43 am

The Japanese skier in the second video I don't beleive is Sato , Sato has a thinner face and is better looking ??. The guy in yellow pants is Richie Berger , it is from a video he did for the Japanese market , it is also in Korean !!!!!

John Moore , it's not just the yellow pants , you need a square craggy jaw ( a la James Bond ) , blond hair ( a full head obviously ) blue eyes and be of Austrian descent ( for at least the past two hundred years )

You Poms have it hard , inventors of Tennis , Rugby , Cricket , Golf and downhill skiing only to have Aussies , Yanks and Austrians immediately usurp your authority !!
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:58 am

jclayton wrote:The Japanese skier in the second video I don't beleive is Sato , Sato has a thinner face and is better looking ??. The guy in yellow pants is Richie Berger , it is from a video he did for the Japanese market , it is also in Korean !!!!!

Really? He looks pretty Japanese or Korean to me. Certainly short cropped black hair, not the blond mane you alluded to.

You Poms have it hard , inventors of Tennis , Rugby , Cricket , Golf and downhill skiing only to have Aussies , Yanks and Austrians immediately usurp your authority !!

Well, we're pretty safe from the Americans and Austrians as regards cricket (although of course we lose out to Aussies, Indians, Sri Lankans, South Africans, etc).:)
JohnMoore

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System