Late hit and edge set skiing!

PMTS Forum

Late hit and edge set skiing!

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:30 pm

The difference between national teaching systems world wide and PMTS skiing.
h.harb

Re: Late hit and edge set skiing!

Postby meput » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 pm

That's how I used to try to ski in the late '60's with straight skis. Not much to show for 40 years with TTS.
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby A.L.E » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Interesting how many pine trees are now growing in Aussie resorts. :lol:
A.L.E

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:29 am

For those that don't know Australia, we only have gum trees, (eucalypts), in the high country, no pines; so these "instructors" are skiing overseas.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Forgive my ignorance. Every turns he made looks like the dolphin turns Harald shown us. Harald implied somewhere that its a very high level skiing. So if one goes airborne he is bound to be missing high-C skiing by definition. I don't understand what's wrong with it. maybe the difference between teaching and skiing? :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:01 pm

I don't understand what's wrong with it.

Is there a flexing of the stance leg to release?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm

it looks its the rebound from the skis that thrown him airborne. What he did after the apex is like maintaining a good pressure before he go airborne and then change edge in the air. I don't know if it counted as leg extension to release. I m seeing he did relax his legs by the small amount of snow spray soon after the apex until he engage again. :?:
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 pm

it looks its the rebound from the skis that thrown him airborne. What he did after the apex is like maintaining a good pressure before he go airborne and then change edge in the air. I don't know if it counted as leg extension to release. I m seeing he did relax his legs by the small amount of snow spray soon after the apex until he engage again. :?:

The stance leg in every turn is getting longer, our goal is to ingrain the opposite so we don't hurt peoples eyes when we ski.
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 pm

this is the hard part for me to understand. if his leg gets longer why r there no snow spray? :?:

this one Harald said is good. pls check @ 46second. it looks his leg gets longer. But I doubt its the same relaxation? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZckQEOs_0g&NR=1
out of Harald's posting: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2507
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 pm

if his leg gets longer why r there no snow spray?

Why would there be snow spray? Look at the knee joint. If it opens up, then there is extension.
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:54 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Why would there be snow spray? Look at the knee joint. If it opens up, then there is extension.
I guess snow spray comes from pressure. If he have an up move, there should be added pressure and should therefore results in heavy snow spray. The next thing I don't get is what is the difference between the two videos when they both shows knee joints opening up(2nd vid in 46second is most obvious)? :D

edit: this is what Harald said: The real beauty in this demonstration is his ability to get off the snow without up movement.

so I just though rebound is the force that throw the skier airborne, the sign is probably no snow spray in lower C. While a push off by extension should result in heavy snow spray in lower C.
carver_hk

Postby JohnMoore » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:34 am

I'm by no means as astute an observer of skiing as others on here, but it does seem to me that what these guys are doing is skidding the tails of their skis a little in each turn to shave off speed, rather than fully carving the turns, hence the plumes of snow to each side. It may be that this is inevitable, though, given the tightness of the turns - I don't know. Also, if they're not on slalom skis but on GS skis or some others with less sidecut, this would make a difference, wouldn't it?
JohnMoore

Postby A.L.E » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:24 am

The confusion here has a logical explanation. This is as good as it gets for TTS instructors because it's Aussies doing the skiing!!!! Crap movements made good by Aussies can fool the best of them. Mind you the Monster and I didn't quite fool Harald at Loveland a couple of months ago but when we came in for lunch one day a Loveland race coach followed me up the stairs and complemented me on my turns and asked if I was an instructor, :lol: " yep you got it", I said. Clearly we fooled him easily enough.....then I realised I should have felt insulted. :oops:

Skiing is a very instinctive for us, we have that in common with the Swiss........Monsterman told me that.

We just have different trees to avoid.

A.L.E

Postby jclayton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:20 am

1st skier - jerky , loses contact with the snow , results of the hard edge set and bobbing extension . No slicing

2nd skier - smooth as silk for short turns , in contact all the time , more snow spray during the arc not just in one spot . Slices the turns .

If you look at Sato or Harald doing dolphin turns you still get the impression they are in contact with the snow even when in the air .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby carver_hk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:44 am

Oh! so many opinions in just a short while when I went to the indoor ski center for some fun. A quick browse over the various contributions. I tends to agree with what serious said. Hope that the big name is going to give some words :D
carver_hk

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System