Off Piste Skiing

PMTS Forum

Re: Off Piste Skiing

Postby lukezhang » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:26 am

This is very impressive run https://youtu.be/N-81x9uR93A?t=195
lukezhang

Postby lsem » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 am

I haven't found any discussion of Dominique's Perret skiing on the forum. So asking in this thread.

Have you seen his skiing?

It looks like he skis very similarly as he would ski on piste in race style technique (though not PMTS in my view, in that way that he initiates the the turn not by new inside leg).

He skis 95mm 100% camber ski (with soft tips).

It reminds me how the Japanese ski fresh powder on wide skis. Separated legs, big edge angle, wider stance when turns become like SuperG.
lsem

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:51 pm

The best off-piste skier is Marcus Caston, ex-racer, totally PMTS.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 pm

h.harb wrote:The best off-piste skier is Marcus Caston, ex-racer, totally PMTS.

I love watching Marcus ski. He's a class act on and off snow from what I've been told. I continually use him as an example to young racers why learning good technique is about more than just being fast in a course. His return of the turn video series is one of the best things to happen to skiing in a long time. Strong, technical skiing is 'cool' again.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 pm

I agree, I've skied with him at Hood and did some rock climbing with him the same summer.
h.harb

Postby dougtee » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:22 am

that bump video of him and johnny moseley at squaw is amazing. some hip to the bump moments that dont seem possible
dougtee

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:33 am

I don’t think he knows what extension is...sure his outside leg might get long during his carving, but otherwise he flexes, counters and pulls his feet back to the extreme...he could probably do with some HHS alignment magic, but otherwise awesome - especially considering the speed he is skiing at..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby lsem » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 am

Yes, agree, super flexed, countered, fast and coordinated. On relatively narrow, fully cambered skis. That is why I wanted to bring his skiing to PMTS community. E.g. see at the second 377 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exozSY7Qc3U&feature=youtu.be&t=377):

He is not active athlete anymore, all professional videos are dated in the period from 1990 to 2010.

To my eye the style he skied is very raci'sh and high level, today's off piste professional athletes can't ski like that except Marcus who is great off-piste skier of this decade.
lsem

Postby dougtee » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 am

the turns caston makes are so obvious in their movements while perret to my eyes just seems like he is hurtling down the mountain. might just be a filming thing
dougtee

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:I don’t think he knows what extension is...sure his outside leg might get long during his carving, but otherwise he flexes, counters and pulls his feet back to the extreme...he could probably do with some HHS alignment magic, but otherwise awesome - especially considering the speed he is skiing at..

I was talking about Marcus caston....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am

Marcus is twice the skier, lots of guys can throw it down, I watch the technical abilities. I've skied with most of these guys going back to Scott Schmidt and Coombs. Marcus is the best of the lot. Candide Thovex is always impressive.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 am

I haven't found any discussion of Dominique's Perret skiing on the forum. So asking in this thread.

Maybe people aren't that ipressed?
h.harb

Postby lsem » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:11 pm

h.harb wrote:Maybe people aren't that ipressed?

That seems to be the case. For me he is impressive athlete, made some notable achievements in Freeriding sport.
lsem

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:41 pm

h.harb wrote:

Maybe people aren't that ipressed?

Bingo....not that Perret is not impressive. He is an extreme skier - what’s not to be impressed about. Despite some of the amazing camera shots, he is just another extreme skier...

Marcus Caston on the other hand is not only an extreme skier, but he is an incredible skier..he manages to show PMTS being used at the pinnacle of extreme skiing in the same way that Hirscher showed PMTS at the pinnacle of racing....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby lsem » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Hey, the man with such track record deserves more respect than title 'He is just another extreme skier'. He is not medioctiry, he is pioneer of this sport, former Swiss racer and Stokli's professional freeride athlete:

1990: world record for ski cliff jumping (36.40 meters).
1991: Dominique Perret establishes a speed of 211.825 km / h in Portillo (Chile).
1996: Dominique Perret goes on an expedition with Jean Troillet to ski the North Face of Everest from the Tibetan side in pure Alpine style, without camps or oxygen. After 3 months on the spot and 3 attempts at more than 8,000 meters, they manage to ski from the altitude of 8,500 meters11.
1998: world record in ski elevation, 120,000 meters in 14 hours and 30 minutes (Mike Wiegele Heli Resort, Canada).
2000: Dominique Perret was elected "Best freeride skier of the century" in Paris by journalists, readers and Internet users of the media and the specialized press.
2004: the US magazine "Skiing" presents him as one of the 12 "stars" who changed the sport.

I love Marcus's skiing too, in fact for me Dominique Perret and Marcus Caston are may be the only freeride athletes who worth watching.
But I cannot accept that Dominique is just another extreme skier. I just thought may be he is unknown to this community, and believe that he skiing style is technical and worth noting in this thread. That was the reason to post this. Nevermind.
lsem

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System