A serious post ; foot initiation and CM movement at High-C

PMTS Forum

Wrong again

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:15 am

Bode Photos

The photos of Bode were selected to create a sensation. He does not make all turns like the one in the article, fortunately for him, as he usually crashes after a series like that one. They did the same thing with Killy back in the sixties and called it the ?Jet Turn?. Killy himself announced later that he make a mistake. The magazines took the picture and made a technique out of Killy?s mistake.

Ron like most writers who know little about skiing at that level is making up the descriptions based on viewing photos. Bode is out of balance in transition and pulled off the turn. There are plenty of others on the World Cup who beat Bode regularly and are actually ahead of Bode in slalom technique development.

Notice how Ron says keep you feet shoulder width, that?s where he?s wrong again. Bode?s stance is actually narrow in transition, much narrower than his shoulders, especially at the pressure part of the turn near the gate. Also to pick Aamodt as a comparison to Bode technique is ridiculous. Aamodt hasn?t been in the top ten in slalom rankings for a few years (didn?t race last year) and hasn?t won one in some time. Amoadt was a speed skier in his last few years, he concentrated on GS, SG Downhill in his last year on the World Cup, with a combined thrown in here and there.

You will see if you want to look at Palander and others that consistently beat Bode in slalom that they do not use the back seat position Ron is sensationalizing. They stay in balance and that is why they beat Bode. Bode may have flair, but he isn?t the dominant slalom skier, at least not in the last two years. Rocca, Palander Riach and Schoenfelder are all ranked ahead of him. Bode?s technique is actually sloppy and the US coaches are constantly trying to get him to ski more in balance, but Bode is very stubborn. Now that he no longer wins with his approach, he may want to change, which would probably make him a consistent winner, but probably would not stop Ron from misleading skiers.

I used to coach Bode?s uncle Mike Kenny at the Stratton School in Vermont. Mike was Bode?s coach when he had his most consistent year. Mike tried to get him more settled and it worked for a year. (that was three years ago when he was on Fischers).

To tell skiers to get shaped skis pressured and on edge by offering a Bode mistake as an example is just outrageous and not helpful, just another Magazine attempt to sell their poor instructional information. And you know many ski instructors will latch on to this type of exaggeration to justify, their also poor, instructional advice.
Harald

Re: Wrong again

Postby BigE » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:52 am

Harald wrote:To tell skiers to get shaped skis pressured and on edge by offering a Bode mistake as an example is just outrageous and not helpful, just another Magazine attempt to sell their poor instructional information. And you know many ski instructors will latch on to this type of exaggeration to justify, their also poor, instructional advice.

Whew! Thanks for that!
BigE

Postby milesb » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:39 am

but probably would not stop Ron from misleading skiers.

LOL!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:52 pm

Look, I don?t want to give the wrong impression. I know Ron and I think he is a good guy. He just isn?t right about skiing, if he sticks with what he knows, which is computer science, I wouldn?t have a problem. I don?t go over to the computer science forum and give my opinions on what is done and how it is done. I can?t just sit here and let Ron?s opinions on skiing slide into this forum without being qualified and put into their place.
If we look at the comparison of Aamodt?s and Bode?s skiing and use logic and an evaluation process based on skiing movements, we can help skiers and the subjects at the same time.
Look at the inside foot or boot at the end of Aamodt?s first turn. You will see that Bode?s inside foot is pulled back. Aamodt?s foot is forward. Lately Ron is all of a sudden a big supporter of the idea which I presented in my first book and followed up in my second book, the pulling the foot back idea. Does he use it to describe skiing when it should be used, no? He goes back to the wide stance advice. Giving wider stance advice to skiers is just an excuse for not having anything better to say. Anyone can tell a skier to ski with a wider stance, its safe and no one can qualify the advice.

Look at Aamodt?s inside foot in the next turn. It is still on edge, (A frame) which means he didn?t release completely or properly. This is the real reason for his lack of body angles. It sure isn?t because he didn?t do the ?Jet turn? that Bode did. He never completed his release. Had he tipped the inside ski over to its little toe edge his angles would be stronger.

Aamodt pushed his new downhill ski out to the big toe edge rather than releasing the inside ski. Where were these technical mistakes pointed out in Ron?s? advice? He focused on the most obvious change (Feet forward) which actually is a Bode mistake and called it technical innovation. Sitting back will never be technically correct and it not an innovation, it?s been around for thirty years. When you make this mistake it requires too much effort and movement to get back into balance. Bode was lucky in this turn, as when he usually does this, he ends on his butt or hip.

I have experienced this exact phenomenon in three different skiing eras, in the seventies, eighties and nineties. There is always another ski instructor who has no ski racing experience, analyzing ski racing incorrectly.
Harald

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:33 pm

Milesb, what is LOL, ?Lots Of Love??
Harald

Postby milesb » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:18 pm

Laugh out loud.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:55 pm

I can't laugh out loud, as I think its sad what is being done to skiers. I do have lots of love, only it is rejected because I think differently.
Harald

Postby piggyslayer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:46 pm

I think there is a moral responsibility people should take for advice given to public, especially in a ski magazine distributed to masses. It is unfortunate that the end customer (a regular skiing Joe) has to make decisions on what is good instruction, and what is bad.
Ideally decisions on which technique to reject and which to use should be with a coach. Not in today?s skiing. That is one reason why PMTS has (maybe small) but so dedicated list of followers: we can trust our coaches.

Since, I may be confused posting or responding to posts, I decided to clarify who I am so people read my posts with a due grain of salt.
I added "Recreational PMTS Skier? under my signature.

PS. the best proof how confused I can get is that I posted this in a wrong thread. I have intended this message in this thread not the "Ron LeMaster photomontage of Early Weight Shift Turns" thread :oops:
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System