PSIA Turn Videos

PMTS Forum

Postby jclayton » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:14 pm

R.Mark Elling made a point in his book about teaching friends , in most cases you will just make enemies . A lot of people dont want to know and just want to have fun .

I am and many others here are technique freaks , we want to get the most out of the sport as we become more in tune with our bodies equipment and environment .

I have ( as I'm sure most of you have ) skied with friends of all levels and would much prefer ski with a technically bad skier with a big smile on his face ( I refuse to get involved with politically correct his/hers/its ) than an expert , or aspiring one , with a permanent frown .

Having said that , for me PMTS has given me an understanding of ski mechanics that I never had before and doubt that I would ever have had . My pleasure level went up 100% .

The caveat of course is " one man's meat ..... "

Ott , if you look closely at the books , the explanations are clear and precise and break down movements in an understandable way . If you watch World Cuppers you can see the applications . As a recreational skier its also great fun smearing and horsing around of course but , when I want , I feel I can really turn on the power and get that ultimate exhilaration .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

will the real bob barnes please stand up

Postby John Mason » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:51 pm

Just a side note. I rode up to snowcrest to pick up some toys today with a friend from the local ski club that had been to a camp where Bob Barnes was one of the instructors. This Bob Barnes, skier improvment director at winterpark, is not the Bob Barnes of dictionary fame on Epic according to my friend.

So in these hypothetical discussions about skiing with Bob Barnes, just thought I'd point out, even if you do ski with a Bob Barnes and have opinions pro or con, it may not be the Bob Barnes you think it is.

Unless my friend is nuts.

Here is the link to info on the Bob Barnes from this camp who said to my friend he is not the Bob Barnes that posts on Epic (apprently he gets asked this a lot).

http://www.snowcrst.com/ (then pick the link for nov 28 camp - scroll down for the bio)

edited for more info:

Bob Barnes on Epic works at Copper
Bob Barnes that Snowcrest has camps with works at winterpark (2 time national demo team member)
John Mason

Postby Ott Gangl » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:32 pm

Yeah, we call the Winter Park Bob the "Other Bob Barnes" both are excellent skiers.

.....Ott
Ott Gangl

Postby piggyslayer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:57 pm

I take back what I said about Rob Sogard turns. I was wrong this was not a stance leg lifting, no release. SkierSynergy is write to correct me.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System