Super Blue!

PMTS Forum

Re: Super Blue!

Postby Erik » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:27 pm

So there you have it. Five days of the best ski instruction I've ever had. Superlatives are so difficult when it comes to PMTS. Every lesson has been the best lesson I've ever had.

One of the amazing things about the PMTS camps is that the coaches can give each of the 6 students in a group the same individual attention which Geoff described. There is not a prescribed agenda which each group moves through - the coaches tailor the group agenda to give each individual what they need to improve their skiing (not necessarily what they think they want).

Best regards,
Erik
Erik

Postby jclayton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:24 am

Another thing Harald ,
I find it very interesting listening to your accounts of World Cup skiers and their idiosyncratic training methods . I remember Karl Schrantz when I was a student , he appeared to work very hard in training but in those days information and video/film was very scarce . I also remember you talking about another Austrian , I forget who , who used to open his bindings and ski very slowly just with boot pressure . I realise you don't have much time but a compilation of stories like these I'm sure would be enjoyed by all .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby milesb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:21 am

jclayton wrote:Miles B ,
one of them wasn't a guy called Peter by any chance ?

Yes, Peter and Jesse
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby jclayton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Yeah ,
we put a few whiskies and vodkas away in Big Sky a couple of years back
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby ibMED » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Geoff,
Several times you have used the term "dumping of the hip". So that we use the same dictionary, could you clarify the movement you are describing?
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 pm

"Dumping the hip in", means pushing the outside leg to extension (avoiding or stopping the tipping with the feet and lower body) and over countering. Yes, there is such a thing as countering too much and it's associated with a straight, stiff, outside leg.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:50 pm

http://www.zoom-agence.fr/tzr/scripts/r ... %3E&t=.jpg

ImageThis is as far as you want to go with your pelvis for counteracting. The idea isn't to get huge counteracted hips the idea is to use counteracting only to stop hip rotation. If you go too far in counteracting you end up parked with the hip too far inside and you get stuck there. It's very hard to release from a parked hip.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:00 pm

ImageThis is a stronger position and less countered, yet never rotated.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:27 pm

I have been on the fence for years about signing up for a PMTS camp. Goeff's posts without a doubt have proven to me that it's not only the best thing I can do for my skiing, but it's the "right" thing to do. I guess that's what I've wrestled with for many years, but the PMTS way just seems to "get it" where all other systems fail in the lack of consistency and message.

So I'll be in a semi-private lesson with Harald in a couple weeks and I'm prepared to be ripped down and built back up (obviously not in one day!). My main intention for scheduling the lesson was to get a "taste" of PMTS instruction to help me make a decision on attending a full-on camp. I think the Geoff has helped me get the decision completed now and the lesson with Harald will mostly be an assessment of where I'm at in my skiing and how far I have to go to put my turns in order. I'm really looking forward to my lesson after reading this thread.
HighAngles

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:42 pm

This may sound strange, but it's what we do. One thing I keep trying to reinforce about PMTS; it's just a name. What I teach and what my coaches teach is PMTS, but it's really: just good skiing. We don't follow any pre-conceived dogma, we don't teach a system, we teach any movement that a skier needs, to become the best skier they can be, now that's a great system, ha!

Other national ski schools teach a dogmatic system. Funny, all the PSIA pundits, tried to accuse me of being dogmatic, and they don't know what it means. When they should be looking in the mirror. Now that's funny!
h.harb

Postby arothafel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:57 pm

When looking at these two photos my eyes were immediately drawn to the angles of the shins.
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Art, exactly right, that's what I told Geoff to work on in his skiing as well. The inside shin tells you whether or not there are truly angles being developed and when they are developed in the arc. I'll post some frames demonstrating what I mean later.
h.harb

Postby newskier » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am

Excellent post! It really helps me understand more about the book and DVD material.

geoffda wrote:Two key concepts really. The first was "Relax into the turn" otherwise known as "GIVE IN to the mountain". The idea is to flex the old stance leg enough to actually move down and into the turn (as opposed to even moving laterally). Obviously this only works if you start from a more moderately flexed position (if you are fully flexed, you have to move purely laterally). Prior to today, I've tended to let my CM come up a bit when I'm cruising by not flexing aggressively and letting the turn forces just pull me. Interestingly, Chris Brown showed me a demonstration as to why this may not always be ideal. If you do a wall lean with long leg-short leg, aggressive tipping and CA (as if you are finishing a turn), the idea is to try to move off the wall (as if into a new turn) from this static position. What you find (if you can do it) is that it is hardest if you try to extend the inside leg or even if you try to move laterally. It becomes fairly clear why moving down into the new turn involves the least amount of effort.

Two, aggressive flexion of the new free foot is the key to continuing to tip through the course of the new turn. In my case, I tend to get a bit static and park once I get a good angle. Because I wasn't fully flexing the free foot, it would eventually block me from further tipping, causing the park and ride. The admonition from Jay was simple: SUCK IT UP!

I read the above quote with great interest. I keep hearing about this but never at this detail.

Is the flexing at the maximum at transition? If yes, how can one continue to tip the free foot? If not, when is the flexing at the maximun?

Does "Power Relase" shows the above concepts? I can see the continue flexing in the DVD.
newskier

Postby geoffda » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:44 am

newskier wrote:Excellent post! It really helps me understand more about the book and DVD material.

Is the flexing at the maximum at transition? If yes, how can one continue to tip the free foot? If not, when is the flexing at the maximun?

Does "Power Relase" shows the above concepts? I can see the continue flexing in the DVD.

Yes, flexing is at its maximum during transition. Depending on the type of turn, this can be greatly flexed or more moderately flexed. Regardless, flexion is one of the key ingredients to tipping. To get maximum tipping, you need *some* flexion in both legs. Don't try to visualize this or just think about it. Try it!. You can do this dry-land and you don't even need ski boots on. First try to tip with straight legs. Then start adding flexion to both legs and try it. Notice what happens. Also notice what happens if you flex your inside leg, but straighten your outside leg.

Power Release will help you feel some angles and understand how the transition works in a dynamic turn, but it is a training wheel drill when it comes to tipping. Because it is wide stance, your tipping will be somewhat limited, so it isn't necessarily a good drill for improving tipping skills. You could certainly take that concept, but do it with a narrow stance and focus on tipping to maximum. Personally, I thought that the tipping garland drill was very enlightening. Just start in a gentle traverse, tip into the hill, tip back to flat, and repeat across the slope. See if you can get the same degree of tipping as you can in a static tipping drill.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 am

Also view JBotti's post on the other thread. Most skiers can flex properly when stationary. Most skiers can flex into edge angles when practicing Garlands, but most skiers don't flex when tipping off the angles in Garland practice. This is your key, if you don't stay flexed with your "off tipping" in Garlands, you will not be flexed into the new angles after a turn's release.

The up move is the killer, and you have to be watched and be told if you are flexing or extending. You won't realize that you are actually extending, ask any skier who has ever come to camp. They think they are flexing when they are extending. It's an important piece.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System