Super Blue!

PMTS Forum

Re: Super Blue!

Postby emakarios » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:17 pm

I was in Geoff's group for the five days and appreciate his photographic memory. At night, I would write down the exercises that we did each day, but without as much clarity of detail as Geoff. Of course, each of us in this group would relate somewhat differently to each of the exercises we received from Jay or Harald because we were each being individually directed towards correcting less than efficient movement patterns.

I was struck with the consistent thrust of our coaches to explain why a certain movement pattern (such as flexing and tipping the inside ski) made sense. This was not about "posing", but as Jay emphasized repeatedly over the three days we were with him: "what is the performance of the ski and how is your balance affected by a given movement pattern?" That is a profoundly pragmatic statement, which leads each skier to have to discover their own answer. As Harald said in an earlier post, this is a dynamic process not a dogma.

I found myself over the five days having "aha" moments and other moments of utter confusion! The aha moments seemed to happen when I got pointers on PMTS exercises that I had been practicing already. The confusion took over when we went to skills that I hadn't practiced, such as when both Jay and Harald had us planting our pole slightly behind our stance foot (in the fall line) as part of a countering drill. I seem to have a forward pole plant near the tip of my stance ski set in concrete in my brain and forearms! In order to change that movement pattern I know what I have to do; do the drill at slow speed and do it successfully many times.

The quality of coaching I received from Jay and Harald was superb. By the last day I realized that they really couldn't "teach" me anything else until I got to work and integrated into my skiing much of what they had already given me. So I am off to my local ski hill in MN to get organized and practice, practice, practice. Thanks to everyone involved for a great week.
emakarios

Postby emakarios » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 pm

One more thougt: I would find it very useful if Jay and Harald would describe the progression of drills that they took our group through over the five days; in the context of the skiing abilities of each of us.
emakarios

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:18 pm

dude, that is the best avatar I've seen so far! :D
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:28 pm

OK, I have to dig through the archives for some angles on my bike. Not on the Duc, on my old GSXR, what machine is that and who's riding, very nice angles.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Wow, for the first time in years I wished I still owned a bike!! Yeah, super nice angles!!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby emakarios » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 pm

track day this summer on my Triumph Speed Triple; my theory is that I am the inside tipping ski and the bike is the outside stance ski; the reason to get off the bike and get the knee down is to maximize my lean angle and minimize the bike angle. I noticed that Harald's avatar is a motorcycle also.
emakarios

Postby emakarios » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:09 pm

sorry Harald, I missed your post; emakarios is ebbie, the ski instructor from MN who was struggling with countering; yours truly on the bike
emakarios

Postby h.harb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi Ebbie, I know now who you are, nice cornering. I have a few pics like that on my GSXR, but I don't do that anymore. That's why I switched to a Monster, a more upright bike riding style. I gave Jay my full suit leathers with the pucks for long boarding. But if you have a track, I might get talked into putting them back on.
h.harb

Postby emakarios » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 pm

We have track days at Dakota County Technical College, which is south of the twin cities. The course is 1 mile, 17 turns with two straight aways. We are not technically "racing"; no passing except on the straight aways and the person in front always has the right of way. There are a couple of instructors on the course with each group giving feedback before, during and after each session. 20 minutes on the course and forty minutes off, with a total of six sessions. I feel like I've run a marathon the next day! Let me know when you want to show up with the Ducati.
emakarios

Postby Ken » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:07 pm

I'll take a Lee Parks' Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic next summer on my V-Strom. Sure is fun in the summer riding the same mountain roads I drive in the winter to go skiing, plus riding the forest roads.

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Carve2turn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:02 pm

I was at this camp too and skiing with these guys. it was a great camp and great people. Jay and Harold were the best. I certainly had my mind twisted up many times during the week, but as mentioned, the 'ah-ha' moments find you and it is great. I was out skiing Sunday and my one ski buddy noticed my style change already, and it had been since last season we skied together.

I truly remember to be patient and relax, what a difference it makes. I'm already enjoying the carving sensation and realizing I can actually 'stop' better with a more aggressive carve and not a hockey stop.
Ski Hard - Play hard
Carve2turn

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System