PMTS includes the wedge - I found it!!

PMTS Forum

PMTS includes the wedge - I found it!!

Postby John Mason » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:51 pm

Actually its in book 1. Re-reading everthing carefully in prep for the Nov Instructors camp.

To paraphrase from memory - while the wedge is not used as any step in a progression - we teach it as LMD or "Lift(line) Manuvering Device".

And you know what - that's about the only place where it would ever have any point. Two narrow to side slip, tad too steep for poles.

Actually I was at a PSIA taught race camp this summer and I didn't see anyone using the wedge in lift lines. Poles work fine in 99.99 percent of cases. And, these were not PMTS people either. They are just skiers that race that don't like wedging for most any purpose. Why would anyone, it's pretty uncomfortable.

Where a lot of people would use a wedge in a non-race envirnoment at most resorts for lift line approach, etc, these skiers just did partial side slips (not 90 degrees in other words) to slow down.

I think that may be the only reference in any of HH's 3 books that says PMTS includes a wedge in any way shape or form as a tool of PMTS. (lots of drills to help people undo the wedge of course)
John Mason

Your Point

Postby A Guest » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:45 pm

First of all before anyone asks, I'll start using my real name when everyone does.

Mr. Mason, your point is?
A Guest

Postby milesb » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:14 pm

Guest is a born leader.
:roll:
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Not a big point

Postby John Mason » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:35 pm

It's not a big point, but it answers the question for people studying PMTS of when, if ever, is the wedge ok in the context of PMTS.

Lift Management Device - that's the time.
John Mason

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System