Brushed Carve...

PMTS Forum

Re: Brushed Carve...

Postby arothafel » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Harald said...
This is the most difficult turn of all, better re-look at what it means!

I agree. I spent the better part of two days working on TFRs and brushed carves.... and still don't have it correct. In locked-edge carves the feelings are pretty distinct. Plus, you can go back and look at tracks. Locked carves feel (to me) like a more solid, dynamic turn.

Not so with brushed carves. I am beginning to think that it's brushed carves that separates the "men" from the "boys" in PMTS as it seems to require more refined or more honed movements.... and balance.

I find it very difficult to tip in short brushed carves. This could be because I'm so BTE heavy.

Plus, it's so easy to start steering the skis. And, sometimes my stance foot goes to a little stem at the end of the turn (BTE push-off) instead of just releasing...

So, I go back to TFRs and practice singles, then linked TFRs. And lately, I'm really working on becoming bow-legged at transition to offset my BTE-heavy tendency!

Any visualizations or other secrets to success are much appreicated.
arothafel

Re: Brushed Carve...

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:10 pm

A locked, pencil line carve is a fairly simple application of tipping and going to the end of your tipping range, for an achievable angle that the ski carries you around with. It's easy on moderate slopes, but very difficult on steeps, especially icy slopes. The part that is missing for very steep icy slopes is the ability to stay balanced in the high C, then come on with committed move to the end ski edge angles. It can't be forced it has to be relaxed and free as you let the hip drop inside. To achieve those angles you "have to" feel the skis in control of edge hold, as you go over and in. For a moment you will feel suspended, without knowing what the end result will be, either a hold, on a long outside leg or a bruise on the inside hip.

Brushed carves, are carves where during the ride on the edges through the arc, you have to refine the edge balance. The best way, is to gradually increase edge angle with ankle control.
Locked carves, once on edge, you don't have to control anything, you just ride. That's why they are easier.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System