PMTS All Mountain Ski Camps

PMTS Forum

powder and powder

Postby John Mason » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:01 pm

Milesb - You ski at mammoth a lot, I've skied there 3 times and like you are pointing out there is powder and there is powder. The 30inch stuff at beaver creak was not like 30inches at Mammoth would be at all.

My buddy in Santa Barbara e-mailed me that Mammoth got their first snow. He has a condo up there. So, looks like I'll be back to Mammoth pretty soon! (just a dusting, but he was excited about the season about to start up)

Yes - the biggest deal on powder was getting enough speed to get lift (I'm 208 so that's a factor too). I'll get it figured out one of these days. (maybe when I'm 185)
John Mason

Postby milesb » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:19 pm

let me know when you go.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby tanman » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:00 pm

HI JM,
I ski with the Harb Boys in Fernie, Canada. In regards to your question on the Atomic Metrion B5 Skis. I have skiied them overhere on Australia for about a week.
Great skis. Mine are 172cm with a Noex412 binding. I found them great through crud, firm snow and slush. Didn't get a chance over here to try them on really deep Powder , but I am going to Canda in 2005 anyway.
I think the 162cm will prove to be more popular as it is more manuverable , but the reason I went for the higher length was becauase I wanted a more off piste ski ie backbowls etc... I have a pair of Elan M555 176cm & Elan HCX Hyperflex 163cm for more in bound skiing.
Just some stats. I am 6ft, weigh about 195 pds. and ski anything. Been skiing for 19yr and Harb program for 4yrs.
Strenghts of the B5: Power/stiffness, turn radius options, unflappable in crud , slush, any cut up terrain, supposed to be good in POW. and great at speed and on early morning groomers. You can go so fast that you start to tear even with googles on.
Weakness"If any": Slower edge to edge due to the 76mmwaist, can be stiff and cumbersome in big cut up double diamond moguls even in the 162cm and especially if the moguls are a little icy. , very heavy skies ie. if you have to carry them to get to a chute etc.. better to have a back pack to tie on. The tip cover if made of plastic and scratches easy.
tanman

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:52 pm

I am signed up also for the A-Basin camp in early January. I will see you there.

who be you?

Postby John Mason » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:43 pm

great - see you there - who are you?

(I hope they get this login thing fixed someday)
John Mason

Postby famattjr » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:21 pm

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
"I am signed up also for the A-Basin camp in early January. I will see you there." Ok I am logged in now, I am Frank M from NJ. I mentioned I was going to a friend and now I have 4 of them also signed up for it. One of the purposes of this was to try to catch up to them, now they will get better too!
famattjr

Postby sunrise » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:22 pm

So you don't have to do a regular PMTS camp first before being able to do an all mountain?

I've been practising PMTS from the books/vids, and off piste, bumps, crud and powder sound like exactly what I'd like to work on. But I'm not expert level, I'm, as someone mentioned above - fine on single blacks (but not real steeps) without bumps, and starting to get the hang of powder, though have never hit the real deep stuff... Would I qualify? Since I'm coming from Japan I may not be able to afford it this season, but it's my dream to do a camp like this - so if not this time, then next season for sure.
sunrise

Go for it!

Postby John Mason » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:04 pm

You go to an all-mountain camp to get closer to that "expert" level. If you were already there you wouldn't need a camp - you could teach it!

In the PMTS camp progression, they have a green/beginner camp, a blue/dark blue camp, and the all mountain camp.

If you are comfortable on blues and do some blacks then the all mountain camp sounds perfect for you. The camp doesn't assume you are already comfortable with bumps and crud.

The one I went to at Big Sky last year was sorted into 4 groups by ability. They watched us ski and did "sorting stuff" for two runs before we split into our groups. Even then, they'll move you around if need be. They also typically do a coach switch on the week long camps on the philosophy that a different pair of eyes will help progress continue and keep things "fresh" for both the students and the coaches. I don't know if they do the rotation of coaches in the 3 day camps.

I had skied just less than 1 year when I went to the camp last year and except for my as yet undiagnosed back problem that took me out of contention, I had a great time. I really came back with definite things to work on and tactics to develop specific skills. I had never skied moguls yet. After the camp I found that small and medium bumps in regular terrain became a fun option to "attack" rather than a problem to avoid. I'm still not a mogul skier by any means.

My back issues are mostly resolved so I'm really excited about this one coming up.

One other note. I'm from Indiana with a altitude above sea level of a mere 600 feet. I skied at A-basin last May. A-basin is one of the highest altitude ski resorts in the USA. If that may be an issue for you, start developing capacity early. I've been working out on an eliptical trainer almost daily in preperation for all my "out west" skiing. Last year I much preferred my eastern skiing and could ski long runs without pausing. Out west at the high altitude there, I had to stop every 10 to 20 turns to get wind back. This year I'm determined to get a handle on that. So far on the eliptic I've watched my 1/2 hour calorie burn improve from 235 to 385 for a given heart rate of 140. I'm looking forward to see how this better O2 uptake works at the instructor camp in October. Hopefully by then I'll be closer to the 500 calorie range for 1/2 hour.

(isn't it fun to take up a sport like skiing as an out of shape nearly 50 year old :) )

Hope to see you there Sunrise!
John Mason

Postby sunrise » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:15 am

Hi John,

Hey, thanks for the reply and all the great and detailed info. Sorry for the late response, I've been busy! Sounds like that's the one for me, then. I wish I didn't have to deal with overseas airfares. I'd really love to get to a camp, that's for sure.

Being in Japan I can't get my boots aligned properly either. I'm sure someone must do it, but I haven't seen anywhere beyond getting footbeds fitted without all the intricate analysis that seems to go on at some places over your neck of the woods.
I bought some Head FRs last season, as per H's advice, got footbeds (argh, the brand escapes me, but they're the well known flexable type), I chose the boot size as per all the suggestions in H's books, seemed to be the right size, but perhaps my foot is a tiny bit narrower?
I thought the shell width was okay, when I tried just the shell in the shop, if anything bordering on narrow, but once the liners wore in I started to get a tiny bit of sideways movement. Being female in a man's boot definitely doesn't help - I also notice a bit of space over the top of the foot - women's top of foot is flatter than men's. At any rate, being non-Japanese female in Japan with size 25.5 feet doesn't help either - I've not seen one decent female version of a boot above the Head Edge level, and my foot is half a size larger than the usual largest woman's size here, so I couldn't get my size anyway. I don't know what the hot women skiers here wear or where they get their boots from, but it sure isn't the regular ski shops.
I think my only recourse for now is get custom heat-fit women's liners this season. I'll probably have to get them sent from overseas.
Anyway, I'll probably place my 'this year's boot questions' on a new thread closer to skiing time. I almost feel like I don't want to ski this season until I can get properly aligned, but hey, if the opportunity arises I'll no doubt take it.

My boot gripe doesn't even touch the rest of the alignment issue. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have access to the alignment side of things over your way. Plus you seem to have other like-minded skiers (no matter the level) to hang out with.

Well, if I can't afford the all mountain camp for awhile, maybe I can save up in the interim for a carver camp. No lift tickets or mid-winter resort accommodation costs. Just overseas airfares, other transport and regular accomodation.

You guys should come and do some camps in Japan. Lots of powder over here! I'll sign up... heh heh hheh...
sunrise

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System