Another great example of PSIA lessons

PMTS Forum

Another great example of PSIA lessons

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Hurry up and sign up for this one, so you can ski like this guy? You have got to be kidding me, he actually put this up because he thinks this is good. If he thinks this is good, what are the chances of your success?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMGnRSWBeQ
h.harb

Re: Another great example of PSIA lessons

Postby GregM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Harald,

This is actually a promo for http://www.youcanski.com which I is a site ran by two Russian emigrants. One of them, Leonid Feldman is a PSIA level 3 instructor and the other is a race coach Gregory Gurshman who claims to have worked with the Austrian team. He has a book (in Russian) in which he also describes his work as a head coach (or senior coach, not sure about exact translation) for for the Canadian ski team. He is very popular and has a lot of followers in Russia, although I'd say he has a lot of opponents/haters as well. In his book he advocates a wide stance and inclination (at least for GS -- this is how I understand it). Some of his articles are published at their site. I'd say that he enjoys an "internet celebrity" status in Russia. The PSIA instructor shows things exactly the way PSIA likes it so no surprise here. The coach on the other side I can not comment on. In my opinion his book is full of it but again maybe it is just a decoy, maybe he knows his stuff but prints garbage for competitors to read :)

-Greg
GregM

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:29 am

I want that 1 minute and 51 seconds of my life back.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:37 am

What Helluva said!!!

BTW, he obviously hasn't heard BB on lifting the inside ski and "how damaging it can be"!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:43 am

No comment, my post stands, I'm just pointing out the obvious, the internet is full of charlatans. It doesn't matter where the guy is from, it's all PSIA and you follow it if you like it.. Now I feel bad for Russian skiers as well.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCdeYyi_kI0

If you put your feet up to your ankles in concrete blocks and go skiing this is what you will end up skiing like.
h.harb

Postby tarnaby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:06 am

GregM wrote:Harald,

This is actually a promo for http://www.youcanski.com which I is a site ran by two Russian emigrants. One of them, Leonid Feldman is a PSIA level 3 instructor and the other is a race coach Gregory Gurshman who claims to have worked with the Austrian team. He has a book (in Russian) in which he also describes his work as a head coach (or senior coach, not sure about exact translation) for for the Canadian ski team. He is very popular and has a lot of followers in Russia, although I'd say he has a lot of opponents/haters as well. In his book he advocates a wide stance and inclination (at least for GS -- this is how I understand it). Some of his articles are published at their site. I'd say that he enjoys an "internet celebrity" status in Russia. The PSIA instructor shows things exactly the way PSIA likes it so no surprise here. The coach on the other side I can not comment on. In my opinion his book is full of it but again maybe it is just a decoy, maybe he knows his stuff but prints garbage for competitors to read :)

-Greg

I don't know about the PSIA stuff, but Greg Gurshman's articles on youcanski.com on modern world cup technique are outstanding. I don't think you'd find anything in them that is inconsistent with PMTS. I don't know about "wide stance" but GG does advocate inclination - but HH covers this in Essentials as well, if my memory serves me correctly (don't keep a copy at the office - I should though), by pointing out that due to athleticism, WC racers can often get away with less/delayed CB in a way that we mere mortals cannot. Take a look at a 10 frames per second photo of a world cup gs turn - you'll see plenty of inclination.
tarnaby

Postby tarnaby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 am

Ooops - sorry the whole windshield wiper/pivoting would be inconsistent with PMTS. Why do races coaches advocate this when it is only useful for side slipping race courses?
tarnaby

Postby Baja1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 am

Quit hating, all you guys. You're being too hard on him.

Look at those graceful, swooping hand motions. That sexy lean to the inside of the turn. That broad, open stance for a good base of support. That rhythmic up and down movement.

You guys don't know what good skiing looks like. Just sayin.

:D

(I love the caption that reads "Hands in front" as he drops the inside hand behind him.)
Baja1

Postby onyxjl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:22 am

The essentials could definitely use some of that hawt snowlolerblade footage though.
onyxjl

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:31 am

I don't know about the PSIA stuff, but Greg Gurshman's articles on youcanski.com on modern world cup technique are outstanding. I don't think you'd find anything in them that is inconsistent with PMTS. I don't know about "wide stance" but GG does advocate inclination - but HH covers this in Essentials as well, if my memory serves me correctly (don't keep a copy at the office - I should though), by pointing out that due to athleticism, WC racers can often get away with less/delayed CB in a way that we mere mortals cannot. Take a look at a 10 frames per second photo of a world cup gs turn - you'll see plenty of inclination.

If you have been on this forum for more than an hour, and posted what you posted above, you have missed the whole point of my teachings.
h.harb

Postby tarnaby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:38 am

Notwithstanding the pivot drills (which high level racing coaches advocate all over the world - not sure why) I must be missing something. I don't think there are many skiers out there who can ski in the efficient manner shown in the link below. No tip lead. No a frame. Simple efficient movements. Zero gratuitous movements. Very solid platform. What am I missing wrt below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubXb27KX_Y&NR=1
tarnaby

Postby GregM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:42 am

Like I said, I don't want to comment on Gurshman, sorry if I did. I tried to stay neutral. On the other hand I did read his book in Russian and you may say there is no contradiction in GG vs. HH approach and I would disagree here. Like I said, maybe GG does know his stuff, but I think you can not have more different approach to describing skiing (again on comparing Essentials book to Gurshman book).

Funny though, when I posted links to HH Carvers clips on Russian ski forum the comments were that he is steering with his knees and is in the back seat :) .
GregM

Postby GregM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:52 am

So why all these coaches have double initials? HH, BB, and now GG -- this is weird :)
GregM

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:24 am

h.harb wrote:

If you have been on this forum for more than an hour, and posted what you posted above, you have missed the whole point of my teachings.

I'm going to have to echo Harald here. There is a lot on Gurshman's site that displays a complete lack of understanding of skiing - specifically his thoughts on stance and upper body CA/CB (basically CA/CB are not taught by Greg Gurshman). If you watch Greg ski you can also see that CA/CB are not present in his skiing and he blatantly teaches AGAINST angulating. I did notice that he has finally started talking about flexing and extending - something that was previously lacking from his skiing and teaching. His skiing is full of following his skis and leaning into his turns.

Harald has addressed the delay present in modern GS skiing in a thread here. This is a much more thorough description of modern GS and really explains why coaches like Gurshman think they know what they are seeing and then end up teaching something that is totally counter to what WC athletes are actually doing in their turns.

See here and here for Gurshman's skiing. It isn't PMTS and shows the glaring lack of essentials relating to the upper body as well the lack of flexing and extending in the one video (like I said, he just recently acknowledged it's presence).

As far as this is concerned... If you can't see the difference between it and what Harald teaches I think you need to review the essentials again.

Later,

Greg
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System