Don't show this to Epic

PMTS Forum

Re: Don't show this to Epic

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Isn't this the guy who used to be on the Austrian demo Team. HE skis like a bumper, but has some very good footage of doing short turns just right. He does and I agree with BigE, in some runs, hit hard and sort of pivot TTS style, but he is soooo much better than a PSIA instructor, even doing it less efficiently. The guy skis much better than Bergie. He's better than anyone on the PSIA demo Team.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:06 pm

BigE wrote:The first section, in the yellow pants us quite clear. I did not bother much with the rest, when the wedge entries started to show up.

Richard is one of the best skiers I've ever seen. IMO, the footage is well worth watching. An amazing skier.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:03 am

Jeeez... I looked at this video several times and thought to myself... "This guy is an amazing skier!" ... but then I read that he's typical TTS skier and that he's pivoting, has wedge entries... etc. Are we just talking about some super fine points here? Or, am I missing the boat?

I am hoping Max is correct!
arothafel

Postby ginaliam » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:26 am

Yeah,

I thought he looked great, too-but also realize that folks here are looking for different things (and, as I said my MA skills are, well, I don't have them)..

But, Big E, you think this guy is wedging his turns?? Really?? I just can't see it. I do see that he throws that hard- check finish on some of his snappy short turns-And I think, like Harald points out, that's because he's a bump skier at heart (looking at his mogul segment in his 'montage' video I suspect moguls are his true love-and for all-mountain ripping, that's a good thing)..but I don't see wedge turning /TTS-In fact, I thought, like a few other guys pointed out, that he utilized a solid Phantom move in some of his carving segments. I think he has a great combination of high energy and finesse driven precision--sure, even great skiers can be critiqued and improve, but surely,BigE, he's better than a wedge turning TTS-er who can be dismissed within seconds of watching his video.
ginaliam

Postby BigE » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 am

There are wedge entries that show well in the orange suited sections, esp. on the left hand turns. The wedge entry shows that the movement did not originate in the feet. The existence of that wedge entry to me, indicates that the rest of his turns also do not originate in the feet, he's just really good at doing them.

Note also the A-framing in the orange suit -- a clear indication that it's from TTS and movements originate higher in the kinetic chain. Yes,the guy skis well, but just because the guy is lifting the inside ski a bit does not automatically make the skiing PMTS.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=stenmark&emb=0#
BigE

Postby tarnaby » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:09 am

I think there is just a mix up going on here as the video below does not have anyone in an orange suit. See,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKPTRkQf-gc
tarnaby

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:55 am

Isn't this the guy who used to be on the Austrian demo Team?

He skis like a bumper, but has some very good footage of doing short turns just right

This is not derogatory in any way, I hope no one is reading it that way. He has very quick on and off the edge capability.

He does and I agree with BigE, in some runs, hit hard and sort of pivot TTS style, but he is soooo much better than a PSIA instructor, even doing it less efficiently.

Here I am referring to a run on a groomer where he is making what looks like very quick, tight, short turns, not carved, he's hitting hard and late with lots of pivot to the next edge. I think he's doing this for show and if you asked him to do it without an edge set, he could easily show the more refined version of that urn.

The guy skis much better than Bergie. He's better than anyone on the PSIA demo Team current or past.

As far as fee skiers yes, he's one of the best out there. But there are things he could do better with some coaching. He does dominate with his big toe edge. He also adds big toe edge late in his edge set, without increasing the inside ski angle this gives him an "A frame" look on both sides. I find I do that when I'm showing quick energetic short turns as well. The reason is the tendency to want more rebound; so you go for a stopped edge at the end of the arc, rather than a slicing release. That's a rebound turn, sort of old school bumper skiing on groomed. I like his more refined short carves without as much rebound, those are top notch.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:09 pm

I wouldn't be concerned with any wedge situations you see, he is very active with the old stance ski, converting it to the little toe edge in transition. I saw one, possibly two times where his big toe edge got stuck in the soft snow and the inside ski went flat at the same time. THis can constitute a wedge, but he definitely doesn't use movements that create Wedge entires.

BigE, I'd say one wedge exit, doesn't concern me, as it was caused by soft snow under the big toe edged ski. THis was in the orange suit run.
h.harb

Postby BigE » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks, harald!
BigE

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System