Don't show this to Epic

PMTS Forum

Re: Don't show this to Epic

Postby jclayton » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:08 am

Looking back at the ESA video posted by SCSA , as he was known then , there is a revealing comment by one of the " Bears " in the following posts .

It was " wow , Jerry Berg looked like a World Cup skier " , as a contrast to the rest . Given the" high level " of the coaches etc , shouldn't they all ?

ALL the coaches at the PMTS camps elicit this kind of response from their students .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:59 am

The reason they are so impressed with Bergie's skiing is because they normally watch each other. So their standard for skiing is very low. They see Bergie's skiing as out of reach. We look at that as the minimum level and strive for better for our coaches.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:42 am

Does anyone have video of Bergie skiing? I've always heard how good he is, but I've never seen him ski. I imagine he must be pretty skilled.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:48 am

Sad part is he is inconsistent. Since he changed boots, he's not skiing as well as I saw him in 2001. He skied in Lito's video the same one that I skied in. If you can get hold of a copy you will see what I mean. Remember he skis well for a PSIA guy, however I know he can ski better, but he's not getting good coaching or boot set ups.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:05 am

h.harb wrote:He skied in Lito's video the same one that I skied in. If you can get hold of a copy you will see what I mean.

That was "Breakthrough on the New Skis" - correct?

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:23 am

yes
h.harb

Postby orangeman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:46 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:orangeman,
Where do you ski?

Normally I ski in the East....Jiminy Peak(MA), Catamount & Hunter(NY). Occasional trips to Stowe and Cannon.
For the upcoming season I will be in Colorado for an extended stay, with Season passes at A-Basin and Loveland.
I am signed up for the January All-Mountain Camp at A-Basin, to finally learn to ski the steep and deep.
If the Money holds out, I hope to arrive in Mid-December and ski till March!!!!
We should meet up. If you like, please use the email link in the forum profile to contact me.
Looking very much forward..........
Feet 1st, always Feet 1st........
orangeman

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:46 pm

orangeman wrote:
Where do you ski?

Normally I ski in the East....Jiminy Peak(MA), Catamount & Hunter(NY). Occasional trips to Stowe and Cannon.
For the upcoming season I will be in Colorado for an extended stay, with Season passes at A-Basin and Loveland.
I am signed up for the January All-Mountain Camp at A-Basin, to finally learn to ski the steep and deep.
We should meet up. If you like, please use the email link in the forum profile to contact me.

Ah I was thinking 'Cuse due to your name - which would have put you in my home territory. I don't make it to Jiminy much anymore - but it isn't out of the question. I'll let you know if I'm around that area this year though.

HeluvaSkier

Postby geoffda » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:03 am

orangeman wrote:
Where do you ski?

If you are looking for people to ski with, PM me when you get to CO. I can often be found at A-Basin...
geoffda

Postby ginaliam » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 am

I was looking for video on this guy you keep calling bergie (sorry, I don't know the pantheon of ski instructors USA)-And I came across this video by a Richie Berger whom I thought was the person you were all referring to-but now paging back, I see that he is someone different-oh well, he skis pretty well, too. I don't know if he's someone well-known or not, but I like his little video.

Here's the Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 620711399#

Now, hopefully I get proven once again wrong and find out this guys doesn't ski well at all (I openly confess my MA skills stink, and I can never tell who is a good skier or not..yep, and that guy who sees fast turns and thinks, wow! Looks Good!).
ginaliam

Postby tarnaby » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:55 am

Here is another video of that fellow:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9929741629

Great skiing. Notice how he lifts, tips and pulls back his free foot on every turn a la PMTS.
tarnaby

Postby BigE » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm

In my opinion, this is classic TTS pivotting. He is getting the inside leg out of the way and that looks similar to a phantom turn, but it's not tipping and leading the tipping effort.
BigE

Postby tarnaby » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Maybe this video shows the free foot being lifted, tipped and pulled back, better than the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKPTRkQf-gc

Looks to me like he is changing edges in transition rather than ski direction, so I'm not really seeing the pivoting.
tarnaby

Postby Max_501 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:29 pm

BigE wrote:In my opinion, this is classic TTS pivotting.

Is it the full video you are referring to or specific parts of it?
Max_501

Postby BigE » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:04 pm

The first section, in the yellow pants us quite clear. I did not bother much with the rest, when the wedge entries started to show up.
BigE

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System