MA on weighted release

PMTS Forum

Re: MA on weighted release

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 am

Also compare your upper body movements to Harald's. Do you see a difference. What parts of your body lead into the new turn and how does that compare to what Harald demonstrates?
Max_501

Postby carver_hk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Max_501 wrote:Also compare your upper body movements to Harald's. Do you see a difference. What parts of your body lead into the new turn and how does that compare to what Harald demonstrates?
I checked not only this video but also other exercises. My inside hip was always leading into the new turn. Whiles Harald outside hip was leading into the new turn? :D
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Postby GregM » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 pm

Looking at your videos in slow motion I see that you are out of phase compared to what Harald is showing.
Harald lifts the inside ski in the last third of the turn (before transition) and his balance is solely on the outside ski. He flexes strongly to release and puts the lifted ski back on snow in the first third of a new turn. From that point his balance is back on the outside ski. You lift the ski only after transition. Your balance during the turn is mainly on inside ski.
GregM

Postby carver_hk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:28 pm

GregM wrote:You lift the ski only after transition. Your balance during the turn is mainly on inside ski.
Thanks for picking out this important difference. I ll try to fix it asap. :D
carver_hk

Postby GregM » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:15 pm

One more note -- the inside foot tipping must go stronger during the turn and should be the strongest at the very end (before the transition). It looks to me that your tipping is stronger in the middle of the arc than at the end. If your tipping is not strong enough you arrive at transition without much energy to release in the first place. Tipping is the most important part no mater which drill you are doing :)
GregM

Postby carver_hk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Noted! Thanks GregM! :D
carver_hk

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:38 pm

carver_hk wrote:My inside hip was always leading into the new turn.

We start the turn by tipping the feet which starts the kinetic chain moving. So the hip shouldn't be ahead of the feet. And the upper body shouldn't be ahead of the feet, knees, hips, and so on. Now, look at your video again. What parts are leading into the turn? Do you see your upper body (hands, arms, etc) reaching downhill into the turn before the feet have tipped in that direction?
Max_501

Postby carver_hk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:06 am

Hi Max,

I read your adivse on my way to ski from my cellphone this afternoon. Its a piece of great advise. I paid particular attention to if there are kinetic chain happening, which allowed me to sense what's wrong with my upper body. I also trying hard to stick to what GregM said in his observation. I can tell now why I lifted my inside skis late in the previous vid because it is way more difficult to lift at the apex. Here is what I get. Anyone is welcome to comment. Thanks in advance. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu6n4b6EZ9w

later,

Martin
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am

a small update after some work focusing on tipping and balancing on outside skis. I ll concentrate working on it unless some advise is received. Thanks for checking out. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTcIpGmtai4
carver_hk

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System